Windows 10: Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

Discus and support Windows 10 update hangs after restarting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am running 1803 and have not received any 1809 updates yet. The laptop is a hp 8640p. With the regular auto update process it downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KlausSchmidtBeaver, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

I am running 1803 and have not received any 1809 updates yet. The laptop is a hp 8640p.

With the regular auto update process it downloaded and installed 2 updates (don't know the kb no.). First update required reboot and the second one showed 100% installed. Since I went to bed that time I chose shutdown and update from the power menu. When I restarted the laptop next day it hung on a blank black screen with the dots twirling. At the end of the day it was still spinning. So I powered off, restarted with the result of the dots kept spinning. I left it running over night, still spinning. Since then I unpowered several times even with taking the battery out for a minute. No change. Now its its running for over 24 hours, dots still spinning. Last time I power cycled I observed more closely. First the HP screen shows briefly, then the windows logo shows above the spinning dots, then the screen flickers briefly, changing color from dark blue to black, while the dots are still spinning.

I'm running a home based business with many biz data on the laptop. Some are uploaded to OneDrive, but mt internet connection is too slow to keep everything synced.

:)

KlausSchmidtBeaver, Feb 17, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Feb 17, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows 10 update hangs after restarting :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

1. Windows 10 update hangs after restarting - Similar Threads - update hangs restarting

2. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  3. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  4. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC hangs up after update on restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC hangs up after update on restart?: As briefly shown above, my PC has been stuck since yesterday when I rebooted. I had to do an update, and when rebooting it doesn't get any further. The BIOS boots and then the HP icon appears (since I have an HP computer). Shortly after that a text appears: It tries to...
  6. Computer Hangs on Restart During Windows 10 Updates

Computer Hangs on Restart During Windows 10 Updates: One of my computers hangs on restart while trying to apply Windows 10 updates. The symptoms are that when a restart is required after installing an update, everything progresses normally during the shutdown phase, but when it gets to the boot-up phase, the system hangs with...
  7. Restart hangs up after windows update

Restart hangs up after windows update: following windows 10 updates, then going into restart after installing an update, the PC (restart process) just sits there spinning and never completes to a restart. I always must force shutdown, holding power switch. This after waiting in excess of one hour and more......
  8. Laptop hangs during restart after cumulative update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop hangs during restart after cumulative update: Today I Clean Installed version 1809. After that under Windows update I received a cumulative update alongwith other updates. It required restart. While restating it hangs, "getting windows ready, don't turn off your computer". What to do? 122341
  9. Laptop hangs during restart after cumulative update

Laptop hangs during restart after cumulative update: Today I Clean Installed version 1809. After that under Windows update I received a cumulative update alongwith other updates. It required restart. While restating it hangs, "getting windows ready, don't turn off your computer". What to do? 122341
  10. windows 10 hangs and restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 hangs and restarts: hi guys ive had win 10 pro 64 installed for 5 weeks now,and every so often it will hang up and reboot on its on own or it will go to the dreaded blue screen of death,ive installed all the latest updates and drivers are upto date.i thought it was graphics related because 4...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update restarting hang

2. windows 10 lenovo p440 1903 updagte hang on restart

3. win 10 update hangs