Windows 10: Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

Discus and support Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem which has arisen recently. I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 but when I try Windows Update via the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mr Morgan, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Mr Morgan Win User

Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem which has arisen recently. I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 but when I try Windows Update via the Settings app, it hangs for some time and eventually gives:

Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates [​IMG]

Checking in Event Viewer I find messages such as:

So I know that Windows Update is finding updates on-line. But what is the error 0x800705b4?

I have tried deleting contents of folders C:\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and Download and also running the troubleshooter for updates in Windows 10 but this simply hangs with message:

Can anyone advise?

:)

Mr Morgan, Jun 29, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

1. Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates - Similar Threads - Update hangs Checking

2. Windows 10 checking for updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 checking for updates: My Windows update stuck in checking for updates. I tried the windows update troubleshooter, and it says resolved. I restart the computer and run the update again. It progress and shows the percentage but it stuck again without going up. Im waiting for 2 hours now for this...
  3. Windows 10 checking for updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 checking for updates: My Windows update stuck in checking for updates. I tried the windows update troubleshooter, and it says resolved. I restart the computer and run the update again. It progress and shows the percentage but it stuck again without going up. Im waiting for 2 hours now for this...
  4. Windows 10 checking for updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update hangs: Trying to install Windows update, it gets to 61% and hangs. Now i cannot get it to clear so i can try to reinstall https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-hangs/999316aa-19b2-4079-804b-8b67b090c163
  6. Windows 10 not checking for updates!

Windows 10 not checking for updates!: Hey there!! I'm having this unknown error since the last failed update... I tried a few online tweaks and some answers to the community - everything was useless... [ATTACH] I've seen some weird messages while turning on the services, turning the Win update medic service ~...
  7. Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs: I JUST installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo B570 using the Free Upgrade Tool from Microsoft saved from when they were offering a free upgrade to all Windows 7 users. For some reason, instead of installing the latest version, it installed version 1709 and despite the fact that...
  8. Windows 10 Update Check

Windows 10 Update Check: Windows 10 update is not completing the task and troubleshoot is also not completing the task. When Settings - Update & Security is launched it automatically starts to search for updates. It used to have a grey box to Check for Updates. The check runs constantly and does...
  9. Windows 10 update hangs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update hangs: When I click on settings>Update & Security, my laptop now automatically checks for updates. The problem is that the little blue dots passing by in the update search screen have been doing this for over two hours. I can't click on Advanced to check the history due to this. Is...
  10. Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates: I am currently using windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media creation tool. All goes fine until 'Getting Updates', when it hangs on 'checking for updates'. I have tried playing...