Windows 10: Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account

Discus and support Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 recently executed an update. Upon restart, I was able to login to what I THOUGHT was my user account (kevin.ern). It certainly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KevinLim5, Aug 29, 2019.

1. KevinLim5 Win User

Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account

Hi,

Windows 10 recently executed an update. Upon restart, I was able to login to what I THOUGHT was my user account (kevin.ern). It certainly accepted my password.

However, at the desktop I noticed several icons missing. My chrome browser bookmarks had all disappeared. My documents folder was empty. On a hunch, I went to C:\users folder and thats when I noticed a new user had been created (kevin.ern.WILFRED). FYI Wilfred is the previous owner of this laptop and the laptop is actually named WILFRED. The user folder kevin.ern was still intact with all my files. Conversely the kevin.ern.WILFRED folder was more or less bare beyond the usual default files/folders.

I tried switching user but here is where things get frustrating. When I try to switch user, “kevin.ern” is listed but does not map onto the kevin.ern folder. It maps onto the kevin.ern.WILFRED folder, as evidenced by the fact that my docs and bookmarks and settings are all missing. Conversely there is no “kevin.ern.WILFRED” in the logon screeen, but that doesnt stop Windows from sending me there.

I have also tried using command prompt to activate the real account using the net user command. But command prompt is telling me that the only accounts on this laptop are administrator and kevin.ern. No mention of kevin.ern.WILFRED.

Please help.

Kevin

:)

KevinLim5, Aug 29, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account :(

Zakin, Aug 29, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account - Similar Threads - update has wiped

2. Windows 10 Update has wiped out my domain user profile...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update has wiped out my domain user profile...: This is getting beyond a joke, three times in a month with varying degrees of destruction, three different computers.Anyway, here's the latest one todayWorking away, screen goes black and Windows 10 decides to do an update, installs the update restarts the computer, cleaning...
  3. Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..

in Browsers and Email
    Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..: Here's one for you I bet you haven't heard yet. A window popped up saying my SD card I use to run portable apps off had errors and would I like Windows to correct it. I naturally said yes, and Windows came back with another poppup saying the drive was repaired. I then...
  4. Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..: Here's one for you I bet you haven't heard yet. A window popped up saying my SD card I use to run portable apps off had errors and would I like Windows to correct it. I naturally said yes, and Windows came back with another poppup saying the drive was repaired. I then...
  5. Windows 10 update wiped out everything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 update wiped out everything: How do i get all of my documents and photos and files back after windows 10 updated deleted everything. Hundreds of dollars in photo programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-wiped-out-everything/5c622ab8-ab72-4a39-892a-16e8f8f20ed7
  6. Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!: I bought a new laptop in December, and I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 18363.657. All updates are in place to current date. I attempted to add a user account for my young daughter, as I am very "tight" about what kind of access she has to my...
  7. Windows 10 update has wiped my ssd partition

Windows 10 update has wiped my ssd partition: Hi I had my SSD partitioned into 2 but the latest update has done this.. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-has-wiped-my-ssd-partition/c96ef1c6-1e04-48dc-bde4-8d22d96d88cd
  8. User profile wiped out. Reconstructed from scratch, wiped out again.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User profile wiped out. Reconstructed from scratch, wiped out again.: chkdsk /r run, finding no corrupt sectors on hard disk. ------------------------------- CMD Run as Administrator: "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" Result C:\WINDOWS\system32> C:\WINDOWS\system32>The DISM log file can be found at...
  9. My account has been wiped

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My account has been wiped: Hi, i wanted to ask if there is any chance to contact support from microsoft store because in Sea of thieves my character and all progress has gone. Have you seen similar cases and know how to fix it...
  10. March 2019 Windows update wiped my entire user account

March 2019 Windows update wiped my entire user account: I am experiencing a problem with my Surface Pro, and I think it had something to do with the latest windows update. Previously I experienced some minor errors which I see were common among other users with those updates. But last night I installed the latest update and has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my user profile has been wiped by a windows 10 update

2. hp windows update wiped user info

3. wiped hp laptop to factory settings and now cant log in and says other user

4. user accounts wiped after windows update,
  5. windows update my user account is gone,
  6. user wiped,
  7. windows wiped out my account,
  8. windows update has wiped profile,
  9. windows updates kb4524570 has wiped desktop windows 10,
  10. update has wiped my user profile,
  11. windows update wiped user profile,
  12. windows update wiped out everything 2019,
  13. windows wiped out my settings at restart,
  14. windows update wiped out my user profile,
  15. windows 10 update wiped computer