Windows 10: Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off

Discus and support Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am really upset. I have an older model laptop that originally had Windows 7 factory istalled. It worked fine. Like a fool i had updated to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hoopgal, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Hoopgal Win User

Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off

I am really upset. I have an older model laptop that originally had Windows 7 factory istalled. It worked fine. Like a fool i had updated to Windows 10 when it was offering the free upgrade. Big mistake on my part! I should never have upgraded. So I got tired of all the constant updates since then that just slowed down my computer more and more. I turned off auto updates a long time ago. When I read about all the problems the May 2020 update was causing, I double-checked to make sure mine was still set to NOT update auromatically. Then last week I see that it was updated anyway. I couldn’t use my printer’s scanning feature. I had to reinstall the printer software. It slowed down my computer even more. It installed the new Microsoft Edge which I didn’t want either. I prefer Chrome. Why is Microsoft shoving this down our throats without permission? Do we not have any rights when it comes to our personal computers? I have the original backup copy i made when i first bought the laptop. I’m seriously thinking about just restoring everything back to the original. I know I need to transfer my documents and pictures to a flash drive before i do this. Do y’all think that is a bad idea to restore it?

:)

Hoopgal, Aug 4, 2020
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Toothless Win User
    Win10 updates

GWX has been nuked off my ssd since i had a new install.

Toothless, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off

XP auto update thingy

ive been running XP for several months now without a fresh install and all has been well. as most people do i auto update running. today one of the auto updates came up and it wont go away. it says its installing but then pops back up and keeps installing it. ive rebooted and it still comes up saying it needs to update my machine. any ideas? i might just turn auto update off.

Easy Rhino, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off

1. Windows 10 update installed even though I had auto updates turned off - Similar Threads - update installed though

2. My taskbar is auto hiding even though I have the auto hide feature turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My taskbar is auto hiding even though I have the auto hide feature turned off: In Windows 11, on my Inspiron laptop, my taskbar is auto hiding even though the auto hide setting is set to no. What I've tried so far:- Update windows fully up to date- set auto hide and unset it- restarted my laptop multiple times- opened Task Manager and restarted Windows...
  3. My taskbar is auto hiding even though I have the auto hide feature turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My taskbar is auto hiding even though I have the auto hide feature turned off: In Windows 11, on my Inspiron laptop, my taskbar is auto hiding even though the auto hide setting is set to no. What I've tried so far:- Update windows fully up to date- set auto hide and unset it- restarted my laptop multiple times- opened Task Manager and restarted Windows...
  4. Auto update even though I have disabled it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Auto update even though I have disabled it: Hi, today my Windows 10 Pro auto-installed the following update: KB4592449. This never happened before, because I have set (Group Policy) Windows updates to "2 - notify for download and auto install". So far I've always decided when to download and install Windows updates....
  5. microsoft store is keep updating app . even auto update is turn off .

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    microsoft store is keep updating app . even auto update is turn off .: my microsoft store is keep updating app but even i have disable auto update in setting . and the gaming service always show me installing and all update are showing pending .without my permission even i cancel them but after sometime, maybe 1 or two minutes it show that...
  6. Even though I hide the update, Windows installs it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Even though I hide the update, Windows installs it?: There is an update that causes a few problems in my PC and I used the update hider software which was provided my Microsoft. I uninstalled this update yesterday and immediately hide it using the program. Then, today it installed on it's own. Why could it be? [ATTACH] It...
  7. Turn off auto update.

Turn off auto update.: This last update took out my sound and some programs stopped working. Is there a way to turn off updates besides scheduling them a month out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-update/3585d437-9248-4340-8356-49c85a747ff2
  8. Windows 10 auto updates when auto update is turned off!

Windows 10 auto updates when auto update is turned off!: I have a seriou issue. i use windows 10 on a bootcamp macbook pro. i have an external eGPU running an AMD card and i used particular drivers. i only use windows 10 to play 1 game and nothing else. the last updates makes my monitors not work anymore. The drivers do not...
  9. Turn off auto updates for Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off auto updates for Windows Defender: I'm using win10 pro 1803. How to turn off auto updates for Windows Defender ? Thanks. 139783
  10. how to turn off auto updates

how to turn off auto updates: i do not wish to upgrade my laptop every week because i have minimal space for it and quite frankly do not want to automatically do it is there a way to turn off the automatic updates?...