Windows 10: Windows 10 update is deleting files

Discus and support Windows 10 update is deleting files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is just a general info posting to compile published articles concerning the "minor" flaw with the initial general release of the1809 update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Q-U-I-G-M-O Win User

Windows 10 update is deleting files

This is just a general info posting to compile published articles concerning the "minor" flaw with the initial general release of the1809 update.

Here are a some of published articles if anybody has yet to see them:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-october-2018-update-microsoft-releases-fix-for-data-deletion-bug/?ftag=CAD2e14604

Link:

Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Microsoft releases fix for data deletion bug

A blog with more explanation of the cause of the problem from By John Cable / Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

Link:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3312642/windows/microsoft-restarts-windows-10-october-2018-update-blaming-data-loss-on-misdirected-folders.html

Link:

Windows 10 October 2018 Update rereleased to Insiders, data loss blamed on misdirected folders

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-needs-to-refocus-on-windows-10-fundamentals-not-just-new-features/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=20703129605120664208305366449301

Link:

Microsoft needs to refocus on Windows 10 fundamentals, not just new ...

Please add others to this thread

:)

Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Tintai Win User
    I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows 10 update is deleting files ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update is deleting files - Similar Threads - update deleting files

2. Windows Fall update file deletion and delay.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Fall update file deletion and delay.: For those who had trouble with previous updates, this information on the Fall update provided by Microsoft should be read by everyone. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history...
  3. Windows 10 October Update - will my files be deleted?

Windows 10 October Update - will my files be deleted?: I installed the October Update on the 3rd October, before the update rollout was halted. I'm becoming increasingly concerned by the reports of Windows deleting files. The vast majority of my files are stored in OneDrive, is there any risk that these could be deleted too?...
  4. Windows 10 1809 update deleted all files from Documents!

Windows 10 1809 update deleted all files from Documents!: Last night I updated to 1809, and it all went smoothly, but then I find that all my files in Documents are DELETED. Gone. Poof. This included many crucial documents and financial info. Yes, I have a backup (I think - using Windows Backup to a NAS). But this is pretty bad. Did...
  5. Update 1809 deleted files

Update 1809 deleted files: I installed a new built update for the 1809 set. Well, I found out after my computer restarted that two folders that i had created were deleted. Well, i just restored back to the earlier build of 1803 only to find out that the folders are visible but i get a message stating...
  6. Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old: 1) Last night, Windows automatically started installing updates 'insider preview 14931' 2) All my files in c://windows.old were deleted - my harddrive went from around 30gb free space to 90gb 3) I have tried recurva, easyus and stellar recovery tools - recurva shows the...
  7. Deleting temp files windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting temp files windows 10: When typing in %temp% in search, temp files are brought up can the files shown be deleted, by selecting select all and would any files required for the system be shown as unable to delete 69325
  8. Deleting files in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting files in windows 10: How can I delete files in windows 10? 18468
  9. Will not delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    Will not delete file: I go into Explorer to delete a file and it tells "Action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer" But don't you have to open it in Explorer in order to select it to delete it ? 66528
  10. Windows Update Deleted files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update Deleted files: Hey with it staying short i recently last night had a windows update which i set it to auto do it this morning and after the update i realised my pictures, music, videos all wiped nothing at all in them and i tried back-up but it was "off" coz this never happened to me so...