Windows 10: Windows 10 update is deleting files

Discus and support Windows 10 update is deleting files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is just a general info posting to compile published articles concerning the "minor" flaw with the initial general release of the1809 update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Windows 10 update is deleting files

This is just a general info posting to compile published articles concerning the "minor" flaw with the initial general release of the1809 update.

Here are a some of published articles if anybody has yet to see them:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-october-2018-update-microsoft-releases-fix-for-data-deletion-bug/?ftag=CAD2e14604

Link:

Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Microsoft releases fix for data deletion bug

A blog with more explanation of the cause of the problem from By John Cable / Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

Link:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3312642/windows/microsoft-restarts-windows-10-october-2018-update-blaming-data-loss-on-misdirected-folders.html

Link:

Windows 10 October 2018 Update rereleased to Insiders, data loss blamed on misdirected folders

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-needs-to-refocus-on-windows-10-fundamentals-not-just-new-features/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=20703129605120664208305366449301

Link:

Microsoft needs to refocus on Windows 10 fundamentals, not just new ...

Please add others to this thread

:)

Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Tintai Win User
    I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Anusha Win User

Windows 10 update is deleting files

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows 10 update is deleting files ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 update is deleting files

1. Windows 10 update is deleting files - Similar Threads - update deleting files

2. Windows 10 Update deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update deleted files: Hello, I just updated my Windows 10 computer and the update has deleted files from C:\Users\TEMP\AppData\Roaming These files are not present in C:\Windows.old Is there a way to recover these files and why does Windows delete files?...
  3. Windows 10 Update Deleting Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Update Deleting Files: I have been having the issue that many have been having with Windows updates. The computer automatically updates when my computer is not in use at times and every time it updates, it deletes all of my saved documents, downloads, pictures, etc. It even disables apps on the...
  4. Windows 10 update deleted my files.

Windows 10 update deleted my files.: Help please!! I updated Windows 10, and when I restarted all of my files were gone! I have searched for two days and they are nowhere to be found! And although I log in with my normal info, it keeps telling me that I am logged in with a temporary profile. Therefore I can't...
  5. Windows Update Deleted Files

Windows Update Deleted Files: Hello! My computer installed the new Edge update overnight and when I logged on this morning all the names for my programs were black and fuzzy like a censor blur and my recent files from word were gone. I restarted the computer and was greeted to a window saying the new Edge...
  6. Windows 10 update Deleted my files?

Windows 10 update Deleted my files?: Windows 10 package update occurred 3/5/2020. Said it could not copy my profile. Only gave options to say "OK". Now all my settings and files seem to have disappeared. I have set view to show hidden files - nothing. Cannot find files anywhere. I did find under Sync...
  7. Windows 10 Update deleted files in Windows.old

Windows 10 Update deleted files in Windows.old: I reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer a couple of years ago and windows created a Windows.old file on it with all of my old stuff from the previous iteration of Windows 7. When I upgraded the computer to Windows 10 yesterday using the media creation tool it deleted...
  8. Windows 10 update deleted my files

Windows 10 update deleted my files: There must have been an update with Windows 10. I have not used my laptop since April 15. I logged in yesterday and my password was not accepted. Once I did her access, I found all my files were GONE! MS where are my effen files!!!!’...
  9. Windows 10 update all files deleted

Windows 10 update all files deleted: Hi i just updated my laptop last night to the new windows update and was greated with a black screen after a restart. The only things on the screen was a picture of a hard drive and “no booteble device”. I need a way to get my files back and to some how get windows back so i...
  10. Windows Update Deleted files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update Deleted files: Hey with it staying short i recently last night had a windows update which i set it to auto do it this morning and after the update i realised my pictures, music, videos all wiped nothing at all in them and i tried back-up but it was "off" coz this never happened to me so...