Windows 10: Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features

Discus and support Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A new Windows 10 update will finally fix one of the most annoying features – Windows Update compatibility holds. Following our report, Microsoft has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 26, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features

A new Windows 10 update will finally fix one of the most annoying features – Windows Update compatibility holds. Following our report, Microsoft has now finally confirmed that they’re introducing the ability to remove update safeguard holds and allow users to grab feature updates.

As you may know, Windows 10 currently uses a gradual rollout approach where the tech giant collects compatibility data to identify issues that might cause Blue Screen of Death and other bugs.

Microsoft applies a compatibility hold or safeguards hold to devices when the company discovers potential issues in a Windows 10 feature update after analyzing a subset of compatibility data.

The validation allows Microsoft to identify critical issues, such as data loss, internet connection problems, Blue Screen of Death, slow performance or broken features.

When this happens, users are blocked from installing feature updates and they may not see any helpful error message in Windows Update

It looks like a new feature in October 2020 Patch Tuesday will finally fix the annoying compatibility hold feature of the operating system. In a new update to its documentation, Microsoft has officially confirmed that users can now use Safeguard hold IDs to unlock Windows Updates.

In October 2020 Patch Tuesday release, Microsoft has added a new Group Policy called “Disable Safeguards for Feature Updates” and it allows users to bypass the upgrade blocks.

The ‘safeguard IDs’ feature is available for organizations only, but general consumers can also use “Disable Safeguards for Feature Updates”. As you can see in the screenshot below, you can open Group Policy Editor and navigate to ‘Windows Update for Business’.

Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features Compatibility-update-hold.jpg

If you set the above option to ‘Enabled’ and restart your computer, you’ll begin receiving feature updates which were blocked due to a compatibility hold.

This appears to be part of Microsoft’s plan to make Windows Update blockers clearer and actionable.

Our sources told us that Microsoft is also taking other steps to make Windows 10 update more manageable and customizable.

When you use the aforementioned policy, Windows 10 will allow users to instantly install feature updates using Windows Update and it does not require approval from Microsoft.

The post Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 26, 2020
  2. ssn650 Win User

New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

You've gotta be kiddin' me. There must be some way to disable this "Get the App" notification or else I'm staying away from Windows 10 for good. Total nonsense. This feature won't be available to Enterprise users, will it?

ssn650, Oct 26, 2020
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10

Source: We're listening to you - feature update improvements - Windows Insider

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter[/quote]

Brink, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update is improving one of its most annoying features - Similar Threads - update improving annoying

2. Improvements or annoyance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Improvements or annoyance: I want to know why Microsoft continues to do business development not by giving customers what they want, but by taking away features that people love for no apparent reason? I am now hating Windows 11 simply because they took away the ability to combine tasks in the taskbar....
  3. Improvements or annoyance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Improvements or annoyance: I want to know why Microsoft continues to do business development not by giving customers what they want, but by taking away features that people love for no apparent reason? I am now hating Windows 11 simply because they took away the ability to combine tasks in the taskbar....
  4. The most annoying thing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The most annoying thing: How do I fix permanently this issue? My icons are not supposed to look like that. I tried restarting Explorer, yet the issue still is not fixed. When I log off then on again the issue gets fixed, but after some time it gets on a gain....
  5. The most annoying thing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The most annoying thing: How do I fix permanently this issue? My icons are not supposed to look like that. I tried restarting Explorer, yet the issue still is not fixed. When I log off then on again the issue gets fixed, but after some time it gets on a gain....
  6. The most annoying thing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. This "GIF Powered by Tenor" feature is the most annoying thing Windows ever added to the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This "GIF Powered by Tenor" feature is the most annoying thing Windows ever added to the...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mqee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/qwouox/this_gif_powered_by_tenor_feature_is_the_most/
  8. Windows 10 update could fix its most annoying problem

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update could fix its most annoying problem: Windows 10 is getting a solution for a longstanding problem where the File Explorer blocks you from deleting a file when it’s open in another app. By default, Windows 10 won’t allow you to delete, move or rename a file that is open in a program. If you want to modify the...
  9. Annoying feature

in Windows 10 Support
    Annoying feature: What is this, and how can I disable this annoying feature? IMG_20200331_214543__01.jpg - Google Drive 153355
  10. Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10: I’m Joseph Conway, Senior Program Manager on the Windows Fundamentals team at Microsoft. The Windows Fundamentals team focuses on the underlying technologies that are used to install feature updates as well as a host of other things. We’ve heard your feedback about the...