Windows 10: Windows 10 update killed wifi network adapter

Discus and support Windows 10 update killed wifi network adapter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For context I am running windows 10 via bootcamp. Last Tuesday Windows updated to what im assuming is the 1903 update. Ever since then I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SKRILLX11, Dec 2, 2019.

1. SKRILLX11 Win User

Windows 10 update killed wifi network adapter

For context I am running windows 10 via bootcamp. Last Tuesday Windows updated to what im assuming is the 1903 update. Ever since then I have been unable to use my wifi internet connection. The computer establishes the connection and stays connected, the problem is that the bandwidth has gone to unusable speeds. From what Ive gathered, it seems to be an issue with the wifi network adapter specifically in windows. Hardwire works just fine. And wifi on ios works as well.

I have tried all of these potential fixes;

uninstalling and reinstalling driver

resetting network

uninstalling most recent updates

updating ios for possible driver updates

windows reset

I am at my wits end and have run out of options. If anyone can provide any assistance to fix this WITHOUT having to purchase a third party/external wifi adapter I would appreciate it.

:)

SKRILLX11, Dec 2, 2019
  2. Davidk03 Win User

Windows update and killing the network adapter

My update list shows KB4338818 waiting, and the more info lists this update as having an issue which kills the network adapter.

So, why would anyone elect to install this KB knowing it will kill the internet? Right now, for that issue alone, this KB item is not installed on my PC.

There are (manual) workarounds listed, and therefore why hasn't MS embodied them in the KB so this issue just "isn't there"?

Davidk03, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Davidk03 Win User
    Windows update and killing the network adapter

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your effort and the reply. But I already follow those suggestions - it was in the process of checking more info from a "let me choose to install" option that led me to the known issue with the KB I listed.

Your response suggests that you may not have read the KB listed. Could I recommend that, because this question turns on what MS says in that document.

This KB is apparently applicable to all versions of windows - no exceptions or variations were listed. And this KB also apparently caused a number of other issues, which have since been remedied - as listed in the updated KB. The network adapter issue
    is only listed with possible manual workarounds. So if it happens, you are dead. The only option is to uninstall the KB, processes you listed. Revert to the restore point created during update, which I have done in the past - usually in safe mode, is probably
    less complex and quicker.

So, my comment stands - why would I install this update if MS knows it's going to kill the network adapter (what the KB says under known issues with this update) - the very thing which enables the internet. Until I get a reasonable answer to that, this
    is one KB I won't install, even tho MS may think it fixes other issues - a certain fail against a possible future problem just doesn't rate.

What I was after - hopefully - was more information on, or a link to, a method of identifying just which network adapter would stop working (I may not have it in my platform, but I am not going to find out experimentally), or (desirably) an automated fix
    rather than the ponderous methods the KB lists. Do you or MS Answers have that sort of info? Or is the current status quo the best that's available right now?

Davidk03, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Try3 Win User

Update made wifi adapter disapear

If the wifi adapter appears in Device manager without any warning triangle but there is no wifi section in Settings, Networks then reinstall the wifi adapter.

If the wifi adapter appears in Device manager without any warning triangle and there is a wifi section in Settings, Networks then use Settings, Update, Troubleshoot. I'd suggest this sequence:-
    Hardware & devices
    Network adapter
    Internet connections

Best of luck,
    Denis

Try3, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update killed wifi network adapter - Similar Threads - update killed wifi

2. Wifi network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi network adapter: My other PC does have a Wifi network adapter and therefore unable to connect to WiFi. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-adapter/1fa8a8fb-ac57-4afb-88d5-dc42a1808905
  3. Wifi network adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi network adapter: My other PC does have a Wifi network adapter and therefore unable to connect to WiFi. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-adapter/1fa8a8fb-ac57-4afb-88d5-dc42a1808905
  4. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure: Hi,I have been using an old Toshiba L655 laptop with Windows 10. The driver for the WiFi is obviously not supported anymore as Toshiba hasn’t made computers for years. In the most recent windows 10 update, the wifi adapter failed to find my network at all. It will find other...
  5. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure: Hi,I have been using an old Toshiba L655 laptop with Windows 10. The driver for the WiFi is obviously not supported anymore as Toshiba hasn’t made computers for years. In the most recent windows 10 update, the wifi adapter failed to find my network at all. It will find other...
  6. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Missing wifi and network adapter

Missing wifi and network adapter: My laptop just froze recently and restarted. It booted up and the wifi icon is gone. I troubleshoot it and it tells me to install a network adapter. Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter, you will need ti re install the driver. I don't remember the...
  8. Change/Improve/Update WİFİ NETWORK ADAPTER

Change/Improve/Update WİFİ NETWORK ADAPTER: Hi,I have netwotk adapter which named "Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230" so it gives 2.4 ghz wireless connection. Therefore ı want to upgrade my network adapter . I will remove the hardware which ı had and install the top model. I want to know that How can I find out which...
  9. Windows 10 update killed my Wifi adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update killed my Wifi adapter: Hi One (fairly) recent Windows 10 update stopped my Wifi. However, all the fixes tell you to go into Device Manager and update the drivers. What do I do if it's gone from Device Manager (and is not hidden either) ? If it had stopped while I was working, I might have...
  10. An update killed wifi on laptop

An update killed wifi on laptop: So one of my laptop's updated recently for Windows 10 and now wifi is not working at all. Troubleshooter has given the error "Wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" on every connection I try. I've looked up what to do so i've tried all the typical netsh commands,...