Windows 10: Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working

Discus and support Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just recently updated to KB 4528760, upon checking the update history it is stated that the update failed to install, however my PC actually updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KentBongolo, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working

I just recently updated to KB 4528760, upon checking the update history it is stated that the update failed to install, however my PC actually updated to it. Also now the sfc /scannow is not working it states Windows resource protection could not start the repair service. I already tried this method:

Step 1: Press Windows and R keys together to launchRun dialog, and input services.msc in the box, then click OK

to continue.

Step 2: In the popup window, select the Windows Modules Installer and double-click it.

Step 3: You will see Windows Modules Installer Properties window, set Startup type asManual, then click Apply and OK to confirm this change.

Step 4: Close the services window. Then type cmd in the search box of Windows 10 and right-clickCommand Prompt to choose Run as administrator.

Step 5: Type the following commands in the command window and hitEnter to continue after each command.

sc config trustedinstaller start= demand
    net start trustedinstaller

But it didn't fix the problem.
    I wanted to uninstall the update or reinstall the update and check to see if it fixes the problem. Please give me suggestions on how to fix the issue. I don't want to start over reinstalling the OS. It's frustrating.

:)

KentBongolo, Jan 19, 2020

2. SFC scannow not working but verify only is working

there is no problem in chkdsk I've checked When I select command prompt and sfc scannow from f8 and repair.. it shows that a reboot is required for pending repair and pending renames folder in winsxs is full of files.. what should I do??

ELiTRiGG3R, Jan 19, 2020
  3. X800 Win User
    Windows 10 update doesn't work

SFC /Scannow did do that already + deleted all under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.

4. Steve C Win User

Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working

SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

1. Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    2. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    3. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    4. Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    5. Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working

1. Windows 10 update making sfc /scannow not working - Similar Threads - update making sfc

2. SFC scannow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC scannow not working: As some background, my laptop's been having problems for a while now. These problems include-- Being unable to install Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 Install error - 0x8007371b- Being unable to install Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for...
  3. sfc /scannow not working, Windows not updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow not working, Windows not updating: Firstly, I've been experiencing persistent failures with Windows updates. Despite attempting multiple times, the updates do not install successfully. Furthermore, I've encountered an error while trying to run the "sfc /scannow" command in Command Prompt. The system seems...
  4. sfc /scannow not working, Windows not updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow not working, Windows not updating: Firstly, I've been experiencing persistent failures with Windows updates. Despite attempting multiple times, the updates do not install successfully. Furthermore, I've encountered an error while trying to run the "sfc /scannow" command in Command Prompt. The system seems...
  5. sfc /scannow not working, Windows not updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. SFC Scannow is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC Scannow is not working: When I try to enter the SFC Scannow command in command prompt it returns with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". What would I do to fix this?I am also limited as Everytime I restart my PC it sends me to the automatic repair screen....
  7. SFC Scannow is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFC Scannow is not working: When I try to enter the SFC Scannow command in command prompt it returns with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". What would I do to fix this?I am also limited as Everytime I restart my PC it sends me to the automatic repair screen....
  8. sfc /scannow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow not working: Hello! Ive been facing this issue where "sfc /scannow" isnt working, whenever i try the command, i get "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." also, i tried DISM commands. The first "CheckHealth" didnt do anything, The second "ScanHealth" stopped at...
  9. “sfc /scannow” not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “sfc /scannow” not working: I tried to use “sfc/scannow” but it says that “windows resource protection could not start the repair service” is there any way I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-not-working/771a79b6-4c06-4790-be20-8943b556c669
  10. Sfc scannow not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sfc scannow not working: My PC isn't working well recently, so i used the sfc /scannow command on command prompt. But it just got this error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Any help is appreciated about this...