Windows 10: Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account

Discus and support Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had an update for Windows 10 hit the other day that could not be bypassed. I then went to get back into my computer, and initially could not log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chris D. IN, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account

I had an update for Windows 10 hit the other day that could not be bypassed. I then went to get back into my computer, and initially could not log into the computer at all. I got a cycle where it was stuck and eventually gave me a message stating:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted." <OK>

So, I was able to find some community help to at least be able to get into the computer again and straighten that out. The only problem now is that on the main Admin local user account, which is mine, it seems all my desktop stuff will not load. I can find the directories for it in the Windows Explorer, arrived at via opening the Recycle Bin, but I am stuck on how to get that to come back.

The Desktop folder, as seen from Windows Explorer or File Explorer, when right-clicked and selecting Properties, says the location is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop", instead of what I believe the default is, of "C;\Users\Chris\Desktop". When I try to change the location, I get the message:

"The folder can't be moved here.

Failed to update the paths for known folders.

The system can't find the file specified."

I am afraid of losing data or other things if I play around with it too much... As it stands, I can access most, if not all of my files, albeit through a roundabout way. However, a number of programs either do not want to run or are acting like it is the first time I have used them, and are wanting patches or first-time setup.

The other local user accounts on this computer do not seem to be affected that I can immediately tell. Only mine is the one that's all screwed up.

Help would be greatly appreciated, as I can't access a number of things I would normally do on the computer, including playing a few different games, nor access my bookmarks for my web browser.

PS: One weird thing I had noticed prior to this, is that I had a couple of ghost icons that were labeled "Desktop" appear on my actual desktop screen. I'm not sure if that may have anything to do with this, or not.

:)

Chris D. IN, Jan 1, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

Try3, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account :(

Zakin, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account

Local administrator windows 10 user and folder name change (full change)

Hi Shaaddi,

Have you made sure that the account currently logged-in to has Administrator privileges? You can verify this by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I on your keyboard and click Accounts.
    • Click Your info on the left pane.
    • Under your account picture, you can see if the account is a Local Admin.

If the account is not an Admin account, we suggest making one and try to transfer the files from there. Here's an
    article for a guide on how to create a local user
    or admin account in Windows 10.

Update us if the issue is resolved.

Ian Ser, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account

1. Windows 10 update messed up admin local user account - Similar Threads - update messed admin

2. Local user account disappeared and windows defaulted to admin account after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local user account disappeared and windows defaulted to admin account after update: I have windows 10 and after restarting my PC yesterday, windows ran some updates, after which my main account disappeared and the system defaulted to admin account. I do not know the password to the admin account so I can no longer login and there is no option to change user,...
  3. Local user account disappeared and windows defaulted to admin account after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local user account disappeared and windows defaulted to admin account after update: I have windows 10 and after restarting my PC yesterday, windows ran some updates, after which my main account disappeared and the system defaulted to admin account. I do not know the password to the admin account so I can no longer login and there is no option to change user,...
  4. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  5. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  6. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. messed up user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    messed up user accounts: ok, got a win 10 pc for a friends mum from ebay. It came with the only account called User. I added another local account I then seen a video on YT to right click the start button, computer management, local user & groups and rename Administrator account to what i needed,...
  8. regarding local admin user account in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    regarding local admin user account in windows 10: Hi Guys, I have prepared a powershell script to create local admin user account and I have planned to push it through Intune. There are totally 700 pc's in my Organisation. I want to know is there any option to have a local user admin account which should be working...
  9. user local and admin accounts missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user local and admin accounts missing: Since a about a week my local user account and my admin account are gone. With it, the documents, pictures and downloads directories are nearly empty, only the most recent documents are listed. Luckily I save most of my documents on other drives but I would like to find my...
  10. User account mess up

in Windows 10 Support
    User account mess up: Interesting problem yesterday. I was logged in on a local account without password. I went to the accounts settings to select the option to switch to an MS account. No such option. But there was an option to select a local account! Whaaat?? I restarted comp and it hung....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 install messed up admin privileges can run system apps even as administrator