Windows 10: Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!)

Discus and support Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Seems the last update (hit me August 9) messed up the Ubuntu terminal colors. (this happened before several times). To see it: Open a terminal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by YanayLehavi, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!)

Hi,

Seems the last update (hit me August 9) messed up the Ubuntu terminal colors.

(this happened before several times).

To see it:

Open a terminal window, open up some file on vi, and scroll up and down using your keyboard's arrow keys.

You will get black background on spaces with no text.

Tweaking the defaults doesn't seem to help.

Anyone knows what to do?

Last time (2018) NVidia had to push a new driver

Thanks!

:)

YanayLehavi, Aug 11, 2019

2. Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the output for Ubuntu terminal is not showing properly for GIT commands.

I suggest you to try re-enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux and then uninstalling and re-installing Ubuntu from Microsoft Store. Follow the steps to disable Windows Subsystem for Linux and uninstall Ubuntu.

Disable Windows Subsystem for Linux:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      appwiz.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. Now on the left hand pane click on
      Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now on the Windows feature window scroll down and uncheck the box next to
      Windows Subsystem for Linux.
    5. Click on OK and Restart the PC.

Uninstall the Ubuntu app:

1. Go to Settings >
      Apps > Apps & features.
    2. Now search for Ubuntu app.
    3. Click on the app and click on
      Uninstall
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

To enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux you can refer the article

Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    as they have dedicated support for issues related to Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Window background color - I don't appear to be able to do this on windows 10 as the change color scheme bit isn't there.

Hi Anton,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change color scheme for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

• Right click on “Desktop screen”.
    • Then click on “Personalize”.
    • Click on “Colors”.
    • And change the color accordingly.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 11, 2019
  4. naseefo Win User

Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!)

Windows 10 Update always messing up dual boot menu with Ubuntu

Dear Mr. Samie:

The computer came initially installed with Microsoft Windows 7. I am using Acer 3750G and was purchased way back in May 2011. It has Intel i5-2410M processor on Acer Motherboad. It doesn't have UEFI as boot option, so I have installed it with BIOS (Legacy mode).

I recall trying the above steps earlier but it was not of much help at that time. Would the above steps change if I am having Legacy boot option instead of UEFI?

Warm regards,

Naseef

naseefo, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!)

1. Windows 10 update messes up Ubuntu terminal colors (again!) - Similar Threads - update messes Ubuntu

2. pc color messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc color messed up: so my pc color is like rainbow and i don’t know how to fix it. The pc start to having this problem is when i accidentally turn off the power cord while the pc is running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-color-messed-up/d204080d-29c9-40a2-8dec-882a12984f28
  3. pc color messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc color messed up: so my pc color is like rainbow and i don’t know how to fix it. The pc start to having this problem is when i accidentally turn off the power cord while the pc is running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-color-messed-up/d204080d-29c9-40a2-8dec-882a12984f28
  4. windows colors got messed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows colors got messed up: [IMG] this is the properties tab. plz help me to revert it back to its original color https://preview.redd.it/je78ao74fx261.png?width=494&format=png&auto=webp&s=0a383cbb9bcfae4ddf6c375830392320edc1e106 submitted by /u/shashvat2003 [link] [comments]...
  5. Colors messed up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Colors messed up in Windows 10: All the colors in my desktop have gone bad, is there anyway i can reinstall Windows 10 without losing any of my data or programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colors-messed-up-in-windows-10/7f62c4ff-fad7-4803-8263-958a64492ea4
  6. Update messed up my colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update messed up my colors: The latest update Aug. 18th 2020 seems to want me to use new color schemes, i managed to get the desktop background back to black but when i try to change the Task Bar and Start Menu to Dark Grey it changes the background of my folders too, is there any way to change the Task...
  7. Updates messing up my computer AGAIN

Updates messing up my computer AGAIN: Please Microsoft get it sorted, this is the second time its beyond a joke, especially when they say they have no reports of it happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  8. messed up color

messed up color: Hello,My name is Danny and somehow my display colors got way off.How to fix it. HP/w windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 Update always messing up dual boot menu with Ubuntu

Windows 10 Update always messing up dual boot menu with Ubuntu: Hi there! I am using Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu 18.04 on my computer. I always update Windows 10 as recommended but it changes the dual boot menu at the start to choose Windows 10 or Ubuntu. After the applied changes during the update, the boot menu is no longer visible...
  10. colors in windows 10 all messed up

colors in windows 10 all messed up: i can't read a lot of actions on my screen because windows 10 has white on white colors. Also can't get my audio to work except for the little computer speakers built in my laptop. Has Anyone just done a system restore to go back to windows 7? Is there any way to fix the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 messes up linux