Windows 10: Windows 10 update (metered) question

Discus and support Windows 10 update (metered) question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Going on a cruise soon with a wifi package that I don't want chewed up with frigging Microsoft updates. I recently turned on metering for my home wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by marklyn, Oct 30, 2019.

1. marklyn Win User

Windows 10 update (metered) question

Going on a cruise soon with a wifi package that I don't want chewed up with frigging Microsoft updates. I recently turned on metering for my home wifi connection and have only been connected via wifi. Still in the last day the frigging computer updated 5.61 gb of updates!?!
    I've searched high and low for a way to stop updates in the past but so far none of them really work. I've probably tried 5 of what I thought were the best fixes based on user responses.
    I seriously can't afford for this thing to try updating on a limited wifi package for a 21 day cruise.
    Would appreciate any known working fixes to stop this thing from updating until I want it to update.
    I have Windows 10 Home, v1803.

:)

marklyn, Oct 30, 2019
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Might Force Updates Even on Metered Connections

A wording change in the latest build of the upcoming Creators Update for Windows 10 has users on metered connections worried. In previous Microsoft Insider's builds of the Creators Update, the section of the license agreement pertaining to automatic updates said "updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply)."

In this latest build, the wording has been changed to a more worrisome version implying updating may still happen for important updates: "We'll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

Windows 10 update (metered) question 18da3be5bc06_thm.jpg

Obviously, this implies critical updates and such may still be pulled from a metered connection without prior user consent. Considering many "critical updates" from Microsoft today come in the form of "Patch Tuesday" rollups often nearing a gig, this could get expensive on a metered connection where users pay by the gigabyte or worse.

Source: HotHardware

R-T-B, Oct 30, 2019
  3. How do I download updates for Windows 10 through a metered connection?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

As per your query, I like to inform you to that; you cannot download Windows updates on metered connection. To download the updates, you need to turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

I suggest you turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

To turn off the metered connection, follow the below path:

Open Settings > Network & Internet
    > Wi-Fi, connect to the metered connection, maybe a Wi-Fi hotspot you’re tethering from your mobile, then click Advanced options, and toggle Set as metered connection to Off.

For more information about metered connection, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well

To download the updates, follow the below steps:

• Type setting in the search area in the taskbar and select
      Settings.

• Click on Update and Security.

• Click on Check for Updates.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Windows 10 update (metered) question

battery meter missing

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you see any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Press Windows + I

• Go to personalization.

• Under Notification and Icon

• Click on Turn System Icon on or off

• Check if Power Icon is turn on if turned on, turn it off and turn back on and check.
    I would also suggest you to refer this link for battery frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/battery-meter-frequently-asked-questions

Check if it helps.

If the issue persists, please feel free to contact us again with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update (metered) question

1. Windows 10 update (metered) question - Similar Threads - update metered question

2. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  3. Metered connection question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Metered connection question: Download updates over metered connections (extra charge may apply) What does this mean? I'm on Hughesnet and was wondering if I should set it to metered or, just turn off automatic updates? Thanks! *Smile 161385
  4. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  5. Updates on a metered connection.

Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  6. Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi

Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi: Previously in metered connection wifi, if update is selected, it used to shown warning and then update. In 1607, update just hangs in metered wifi, even after selecting and clicking the option. Any one faced this? Any solutions? 59730
  7. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  8. metered updates

metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...
  9. CPU meter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU meter in Windows 10: Hi guys Just transitioned to Windows 10. Am very much used to Windows 7 (skipped over 8 / 8.1). Anyway I know Desktop Gadgets are gone but what I really liked about 7 was having them in the upper right of my desktop. Especially handy was the default CPU meter. I literally...
  10. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10: How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 phone updates metered

2. window 10 new sign up ask metered question

3. meter windows 10 updates