Windows 10: windows 10 update prevents printer from operating

Discus and support windows 10 update prevents printer from operating in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a new computer in December 2019 with windows 10. I was told that Windows 7 would no longer have support after January 1, 2020. Transferred... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fierofan, Jun 22, 2020.

1. fierofan Win User

windows 10 update prevents printer from operating

I bought a new computer in December 2019 with windows 10. I was told that Windows 7 would no longer have support after January 1, 2020. Transferred everything from old computer to new computer, and hooked up 6 month old printer. Printer has been working fine until last week, after a "Windows 10 update", the printer no longer works. I bought a new printer, and it won't work either. An I.T. told me that some updates cause HP printers not to work. What makes matters worse is that Microsoft will not acknowledge that their update is the issue. I'm told that maybe a different brand of printer MIGHT work. I can't afford to keep buying more printers until I find one that works. Hey MICROSOFT, why did your update screw up my printing?

:)

fierofan, Jun 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 update cause printer problem with: "Printer not activated - Error - 20"

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the printer after the Windows Update, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • How is the printer connected to the computer, locally or through network?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the drivers for printer and check.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Print queue.

• Right-click on the printer driver
      that is listed and click Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the printer troubleshooter from
    Fix printer problems
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    [Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

I have never intentionally used windows to provide my device drivers (except for older printers without Vendor drivers for clients). I only manually update from the vendor websites. Will just have to make a list of things to disable/remove if I finally decide to load it up on a machine.

Ahhzz, Jun 22, 2020
  4. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

1. windows 10 update prevents printer from operating - Similar Threads - update prevents printer

2. Prevent local admins from installing printers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent local admins from installing printers: I have a number of users laptops that are Intune enrolled and Azure Hybrid joined. The users are local admins on their windows 10 laptops and I am trying to restrict the users from being able to install printers on their laptops for data security. I have been able to prevent...
  3. How to prevent users from deleting Printers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from deleting Printers in Windows 10: The Add and remove a device or printer option is available in Control Panel. These options are available for all users. However, if an administrator wants, he can remove the access to these options for local users. This article will guide you on how to prevent users from...
  4. Prevented from updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevented from updating: I tried to update a x64WinProV1803 laptop from a USB stick that I have twice used to update other systems to v20H2. I was told I could not, so I copied the install files to C:\ and tried again. Was first told I could not install W10 on a USB that is NOT what I was aiming for,...
  5. Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO: Hello everyone! I have an issue with a printer that is pushed out via GPO that is using a particular driver. Windows Update it seems is changing the printer driver on the user PCs to use a different one that my users cannot use. I need to find a way to disable this...
  6. Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer: Hi, Logmein seemingly has an ongoing, unsolved issue and I wondered if there's a Windows solution to it. When logging in remotely, Logmein finds any remotely connected printer and sets it as the default printer for the host computer. This is silly to start with, but...
  7. USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping

USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping: My computer just will not sleep, either automatically or manually. I just disconnected each USB device one by one and found that it's the printer that's the culprit. There's no way in device manager to change the power setting for it to allow the computer to sleep. Can...
  8. Deleted printer still shows up in Windows, prevents print operations

Deleted printer still shows up in Windows, prevents print operations: In our home LAN we just reconfigured so that the HP 400 laser printer is now installed and shared from my wife's system. Before, the printer was installed and shared from my system. Both systems (and the others in the LAN) are running Win 10 64. However print operations now...
  9. How to prevent Windows from updating

How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  10. How to prevent Windows from updating

How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....