Windows 10: Windows 10 update procedure is wierd

Discus and support Windows 10 update procedure is wierd in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have only had my Windows 10 laptop since November 2018 and so I am still getting used to the way it behaves. I still run a Windows 8.1 machine and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wiganken, Mar 12, 2019.

1. wiganken Win User

Windows 10 update procedure is wierd

I have only had my Windows 10 laptop since November 2018 and so I am still getting used to the way it behaves. I still run a Windows 8.1 machine and I have used Windows 7 machines. In comparison to W7 & W8.1 my Win 10 Windows Update procedure seems weird as follows: -

Tonight my Windows 10 Update (WU) found 3 updates. (a) Windows Malicious Software Removal tool, (b) Adobe Flash Player update and (c) Monthly Quality Roll-Up (KB4489899). It then downloaded them all and showed all 3 as “Pending Install” but did not install them. They just sat there with “Pending Install” showing.

Turning Win 10 laptop off and back on again (twice) did not start the install process. It was 1 hour later when it was switched on a 3rd time that the install happened and I was asked to ‘Restart’ the computer. Could it be Norton Security (NS) scanning the updates in the background and preventing the install from starting until the NS scan gives the ‘Green Light’? If so then this is not how it behaves in Windows 7 and 8.1? Windows 7 and 8.1 both install WUs straight away after the downloads are completed.

Questions – Why did WU not install the updates after downloading them? What is the Windows 10 update process waiting for?

Not important questions I know but it does intrigue me as someone who likes to (try to) understand what is happening with their computers. As long as the update works OK then all is well but I am interested.

Thanks in advance.

:)

wiganken, Mar 12, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 12, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10 update procedure is wierd

Windows 10 - remote procedure call failed

Hello Sasamaka,

We appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. Let me assist you with further information from here.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to check for the latest updates in Windows 10 which helps the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system.

Ref: Announcing
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14251

Windows 10 periodically checks for updates so you don’t have to. When an update is available, it’s automatically downloaded and installed – keeping your PC up to date with the latest features.

To check for updates now, go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select
    Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Check the status of Remote Procedure Call locator service. Make sure the Remote Procedure Call status is Started and set to Automatic. RPC Locator should be set to Manual.

• Follow the below steps:
    1. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

2. Search for the Remote Procedure Call locator service.

• Make sure the start- up type is manual. Follow the below steps:
    1. Search for the service.

2. Right click on the service.

3. If the service is stopped then start the service.

4. Select Properties.

5. And in the Start-up type select Manual.

Method 2

Check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Follow the steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type
      settings and select Settings.

• Select Accounts > Other user accounts.

• Under Manage other accounts, select
      Add an account.

• At the bottom of the page, select
      Sign in without a Microsoft account.

• Select Local account.

• Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, and then select
      Next.

• Select Finish.

I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to

Set up accounts
    on Windows 10 article.

Write to us with the updated status. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update procedure is wierd

1. Windows 10 update procedure is wierd - Similar Threads - update procedure wierd

2. Windows acting wierd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows acting wierd: Hello i have a problem with windows. System start acting wierd after i switch from intelcore duo quad q9560 to amdryzen 5 1600. It completly freeze sometimes and i cant search in windows start or open apps or even turn off the system. But i can operate with programs or games...
  3. Windows acting wierd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows acting wierd: Hello i have a problem with windows. System start acting wierd after i switch from intelcore duo quad q9560 to amdryzen 5 1600. It completly freeze sometimes and i cant search in windows start or open apps or even turn off the system. But i can operate with programs or games...
  4. Windows acting wierd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows is acting wierd

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is acting wierd: So i just start up my pc and i notice when i put the cursor on the taskbar it shows the loading cursor,i tried open the task manager and nothing showed,i tried right clicking for refresh and nothing happened,when i wanna click on apps on desktop once it usually shows like...
  6. Windows Wierd Sound

Windows Wierd Sound: My WINDOWS 10 is making a sound like turning on a xbox one, and its kinda anoying, if anyone can help me, please write down bellow! Thank you very much! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-wierd-sound/0e29cf4c-748a-4f95-bba8-bf9f18419b29
  7. Backup Procedures for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Procedures for Windows 10: I have been trying to run a system backup of my Windows 10 laptop. I use the "Backup using File History" app in Settings. I run the backup to an external hard drive. I receive a message that the backup was complete and the size of the backup. However, when I look at the...
  8. change in MS update procedure?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change in MS update procedure?: I have a dual boot with two W10 systems. All updates, including the 1903 version, were easily performed at both systems independently. However, updating now one system to 1909 seems to prevent this update to the other system. Message: your device recently got the latest...
  9. Windows 10...license wierd as ever...

Windows 10...license wierd as ever...: I bought this HP machine with windows 10 pre installed. Right away discovered problems. 29 gig hard drive. First thing windows 10 says and has always said low disk space. So I bought a larger SSD drive and installed it myself. Linux Mint really enjoys the ample...
  10. Wierd windows 10 clock issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Wierd windows 10 clock issue: Hello, Since I update windows 10 creators update,my clock displays the time the other way around. For exapmle,if its 14:09 right now,It displays 09:14,but when i press the clock and the calendar opens up,it shows the time regularly on top. [img] (Look at the bottom of...