Windows 10: Windows 10 update reset my desktop and deleted my files

Discus and support Windows 10 update reset my desktop and deleted my files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was hit by the windows 10 update issue that deleted all of my files and settings. I have already uninstalled the updates and tried doing a re-start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Edin76051, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Edin76051 Win User

Windows 10 update reset my desktop and deleted my files

I was hit by the windows 10 update issue that deleted all of my files and settings. I have already uninstalled the updates and tried doing a re-start multiple times to no avail. I can see where the system created another user account and even tried creating a new user and copying the user files to the new account. Nothing worked. I downloaded Disk Drill and was able to see the majority of my data however the majority of the files won't open when I recover them. The real kicker is I had created a restore point recently before the upgrade to ver. 1909 but when I try to do a restore the system says none exist.

To say I am unhappy would be an understatement. I would greatly appreciate any ideas that might help me recover from this words I can't use.

I have yet to see anything that indicates Microsoft is even acknowledging that this issue exists yet I can see multiple articles and comments online that indicate I am not the only person with the issue. This was a massive F up.

:)

Edin76051, Apr 28, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update reset my desktop and deleted my files - Similar Threads - update reset desktop

2. Windows update deleted all files from my desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update deleted all files from my desktop.: 2 days ago I decided to update windows.after doing the update I noticed that the files on my desktop were missing, so I decided to search for them in windows search. I found them and placed them on the desktop as they were before the update.Also, my wallpaper and several...
  3. Windows Keeps Resetting my Desktop and Deletes My Downloads

Windows Keeps Resetting my Desktop and Deletes My Downloads: Hello, whenever I start up or restart my computer, I sign in and my desktop is reset, my downloads and files are all gone. The desktop background switches to the standard one every time this happens. How do i fix this? Please help!!!!...
  4. Windows latest update deleted my files on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows latest update deleted my files on the desktop: I had videos and photos on the desktop for a long time and they disappeared after the update in May. I remember some error message popping up that I was too much in a hurry to fully pay attention to . I believe it was something about signing into my microsoft account even...
  5. Windows Update deleted files and reset desktop

Windows Update deleted files and reset desktop: I have been fighting this issue for a week now. I have tried all of the things suggested in the forum and still have nothing. I have learned a few additional details during this process. I ran a couple of different recovery programs and apparently the remnants of my files...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade Deleted My Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Upgrade Deleted My Desktop Files: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this morning. After initially having trouble signing in I was getting a strange error about not being able to log into my account - I don't remember the error name, I customized my desktop and moved all of my old desktop files images,...
  7. Windows 10 update Deleted my files?

Windows 10 update Deleted my files?: Windows 10 package update occurred 3/5/2020. Said it could not copy my profile. Only gave options to say "OK". Now all my settings and files seem to have disappeared. I have set view to show hidden files - nothing. Cannot find files anywhere. I did find under Sync...
  8. Recent Windows update keeps resetting my desktop and files.

Recent Windows update keeps resetting my desktop and files.: I recently had windows update my laptop and now every time it does a new update it resets pretty much everything. From my desktop to files to settings to erasing photos. I don't understand why because windows updates have never down this before....
  9. Windows 10 update deleted my files

Windows 10 update deleted my files: There must have been an update with Windows 10. I have not used my laptop since April 15. I logged in yesterday and my password was not accepted. Once I did her access, I found all my files were GONE! MS where are my effen files!!!!’...
  10. Windows 10 is deleting my files from my desktop automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is deleting my files from my desktop automatically: Why are my files getting deleted from my desktop automatically there is no virus no malware i scan my pc twice files which are deleted dont even get recovered what is the issue i m frustrated now i cant find the files in user desktop folder to what is the solution for this...