Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night Windows 10 re-started my laptop (without my permission … as I have Windows Update set to Notify for Restart) and all my Word Document files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaveBrocklebank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files

Last night Windows 10 re-started my laptop (without my permission … as I have Windows Update set to Notify for Restart) and all my Word Document files (which were open last night) now won’t open saying they are corrupt.

I have resisted for many years, but it looks like it is well beyond time to now buy an Apple computer and move over to them.

Windows 10 shutting down my computer after Updates has gone too far this time.

I tried to change “Active Hours” yesterday, and it is locked and unable to change from 8:00 am to 5:00 am

I have already set Windows Update to Notify for Restart… but apparently Windows Update simply ignores this.

But now my current problem is that all the Word Document files that I had open last night… I can’t open them and see the message “Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.”

:)

DaveBrocklebank, Jan 15, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Jan 15, 2019
  3. Robbi224 Win User
    Corrupt Word File 2013

Hi Andre,

Your last suggestion of turning the corrupt file into an RTF worked. I sent the file to my client. She saved it as a word doc and sent it back to me. Thank you so Much!!!

Robbi224, Jan 15, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files

Oppening Word doc from e-mail

Hi SasaD,

Sounds frustrating ... I open, use, and create Word docs all the time on my Windows Phone and would be lost without this capability.

Sounds like the Word doc might have been corrupted. I would suggest a test by creating a simple Word document on a computer and then email it to your phone. If that works, then ask the sender of the previous Word doc to try resending it. If it fails again,
    it would definitely be a corrupted doc (the desktop version of Office might be able to handle some corruption that the mobile version cannot).

At that point, I would suggest recreating the document that is causing the issue.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files

1. Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files - Similar Threads - Update Restarted Corrupted

2. Word file corruption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word file corruption: Word file corrupted by "Illegal qualified name character". Unable to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-corruption/667b3e8c-d97a-4dce-afee-6b838675f35c
  3. Word file corruption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file corruption: Word file corrupted by "Illegal qualified name character". Unable to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-corruption/667b3e8c-d97a-4dce-afee-6b838675f35c
  4. Word file corruption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. convert *.wpf file to *.doc word file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert *.wpf file to *.doc word file: How can I convert old WordPerfect *.WFP files to Word *.DOC files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-wpf-file-to-doc-word-file/0752f9eb-baf6-4d6b-9816-93530495ea8a
  6. August Windows 10 Update - Word Docs Not Printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    August Windows 10 Update - Word Docs Not Printing: Hi The latest August update has just automatically updated and installed on my PC. Now whenever I try to print a Word document it only selects 'Print to File'. Excel documents and Thunderbird emails print perfectly well. Has anyone a solution? Thanks...
  7. Windows update corrupted word files and they will not print

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update corrupted word files and they will not print: My computer updated with KB4560366 on June 22, 2020. I have Windows 10 and Word 365. The Word docs which were open at the time of the updated have been corrupted and will not print. Even if I copy and paste them to a new document, they will not print. Any fixes? These are...
  8. Word docs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word docs: all my docs have changed to wordpad - i need word - how do i change them all back to word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/14b35def-7d81-4b36-a574-49820a43b449
  9. Windows Update corrupted My word file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update corrupted My word file: There isnt much to say here other than I was working on an existing word file last night and had auto save turned on, Saved manually before closing my laptop for the night. The next morning a windows update had come through and upon trying to reopen the file word is telling...
  10. word docs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word docs: I just renewed my $99 subscription, and yet I still can NOT access my MSWord docs to edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/4c72539b-d66b-48de-afbc-94febd147180

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 word file corrupted