Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yesterday Windows automatically underwent a major upgrade, I assume from 1903 to 2004. After a few reboots, I logged into my account to find that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RonMarshall5, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset

Yesterday Windows automatically underwent a major upgrade, I assume from 1903 to 2004. After a few reboots, I logged into my account to find that the system was totally reset, like out of the box. All of my custom settings were reset. The library links were not connected to my personal folders which still existed in my Users folder. Office settings were reset. Outlook loaded my email data like first time. Edge favorites were gone. I reverted back to 1903 and all is fine, but it wants to update again I paused it. I know I'll have to eventually update. What should I do?

:)

RonMarshall5, Sep 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset

My system refuses to update Windows 10 to version1709

Hello,

Thank you for the update. At this point, we suggest that you perform Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file by following the steps on this link. This will help us to clean up the system which can resolve the issues.

Regarding with your other concern, here are the steps on how to temporarily disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates:

• Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
    • Scroll down to Windows Update in the resulting list
    • Double click the Windows Update Entry
    • In the resulting dialog, if the service is started, click 'Stop'
    • Set Startup Type to Disabled

Please Note: if you disable Windows 10 Updates, your system will be at risk from attack

• Windows Defender will not be updated
    • Operating System patches will not be applied
    • You will not be able to use the Windows Store
    • Windows Apps will not update and possibly fail

Any update from you is highly appreciated.

Dyan Rey, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset

1. Windows 10 Update Results in a Total System Reset - Similar Threads - Update Results Total

2. Windows update System Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update System Reset: Hi I tried to reset full laptop and reinstall windows in my hp laptop, it’s been two days with blue screen and laptop restarts continuously. It’s appears that updating is stuck with 64%, today is 3rd day with continuous screen goes on off on off. What I should do?Support will...
  3. Windows 10 total system death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 total system death: It all started when my laptop froze and i had to force shut down since that usually fixes the problem but then it can't boot and automatic repair fails to fix the problem. I tried command prompt and even factory reset but all troubleshoots did nothing. so i made a bootable...
  4. complete and total reset.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    complete and total reset.: I started my ASUS laptop last night to research something and noticed my default browser had been changed. I started to look at different things and noticed all files, documents, pictures, videos etc were no longer on my computer that I could see. It looked like an unused...
  5. Computer totally reset after Windows 10 2004 update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer totally reset after Windows 10 2004 update?: Hello, i’m trying to fix a family members computer which updated to Windows 10 2004 overnight back in August. Upon reboot the entire user profile was wiped clean; all downloads, documents, user preferences, and firefox bookmarks are gone. I’ve checked to make sure its not...
  6. Windows 10 Total System Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Total System Freeze: Hi folks, Having issues recently on Windows 10 where my entire system will freeze up, but ONLY Microsoft stuff. This means my desktop, task manager, the task bar, Visual Studio, etc. Google Chrome remains totally fine and usable, as does Discord and others. The only solution...
  7. Total disk wipe resulted in Windows reinstalling again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total disk wipe resulted in Windows reinstalling again: Hiya. Basically, my Windows became a victim to a huge amount of viruses. I did a disk wipe and somehow when the wipe finished the Windows 10 reinstalled themselves again. My question here is why and how did that happen and is it actually safe to use the clean slate windows...
  8. How Totally Disable Windows 10 updated!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Totally Disable Windows 10 updated!: HI dear all, Any idea to How "Totally" disable windows 10 updated??! we just a small business and some of our system was old. every time the windows 10 automatic running the updated without PERMISSION the old finance system just get fail to connect the to system!!! we are...
  9. Update totally hoosed my system.

in Windows 10 Support
    Update totally hoosed my system.: Booted up my main desktop this morning and it did what looks to be a big update. It tried to anyway. I got several messages along the lines of "improving security" "updating your Apps" etc. Large text on a blue background, like you see with the messages during an install. It...
  10. Issues with an Update in Windows 10 after System Reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Issues with an Update in Windows 10 after System Reset: So I reset my system again. This isn't the first time that I have had to do this because of issues with Windows 10. After Reset, computer runs good. Only problem now, is that I am having problems installing an update in Windows 10. The update is called Microsoft Visual C++...