Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; How are updates perceived by users of Windows 10 Home? A new study, "In Control with no Control: Perceptions and Reality of Windows 10 Home Edition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 27, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control

How are updates perceived by users of Windows 10 Home? A new study, "In Control with no Control: Perceptions and Reality of Windows 10 Home Edition Update Features" by a group of researchers from University College London suggests that updates are complex and that many users don't know about certain features that could improve the updating behavior.

Microsoft changed the update model with the release of Windows 10. The company switched to a system of cumulative updates for all supported editions of Windows 10. Microsoft switched to a cumulative update model for previous versions of Windows in 2016.

Updates are released on the second Tuesday of each month and sometimes out of schedule. Microsoft releases two feature updates for Windows 10 that upgrade the operating system to a new version.

Windows 10 Home users have less control over the updating than Pro, Enterprise, or Education users. Up until recently, it was not possible to pause updates or delay feature updates on Windows 10 Home devices officially; this meant that updates were installed as soon as they were picked up by Windows Update and that the devices had to be restarted to complete the updating process.

The only option that Home users have when it comes to controlling updates is to set Active Hours, a feature designed to prevent automatic restarts of the system during the period.

Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control windows-10-home-update-flowchart.png
    Complex Updates

The researchers asked the participants of the study a number of questions. Among them whether the updating behavior of Windows 10 was easier and caused less interruptions than in previous versions of Windows.

53% said that updating was easier and 43% agreed that updating caused less interruptions. Only 8% stated that updating was more complicated and 21% said that updating caused more interruptions.

About half of the study's participants reported that they experienced unexpected restarts because of updates; 42% said that updates took longer than expected and 70% stated that they became more concerned the longer an update took to complete.

The researchers discovered that the Active Hours feature was set inappropriately for a large number of survey participants and that most users were unaware of the existence of the feature.

Only 28% of survey participants knew about feature and its default setting -- 8AM to 5PM-- was unsuitable for 97% of all users. The default Active Hours period is appropriate for businesses and may need to be adjusted even there.

Home users, on the other hand, at least those who participated in the study, used their computers on weekday evenings in the majority of cases; outside Active Hours.

Another key finding of the research is that many survey participants could not make distinctions between cumulative security updates and feature updates.

The researchers recommend to improve the Active Hours feature, either by providing users with direct information about it and its controls, or by using automation to pick appropriate Active Hours based on usage automatically.

Closing Words

A low number of participants, 97, participated in the study. It might be necessary to run a study with more users to verify the findings.

Now You: What is your take on Windows and updating?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 27, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 27, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Update Study: too complex and not enough control - Similar Threads - Update Study too

2. New Task Manager Too Complex To Use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Task Manager Too Complex To Use: So this is how the new Task Manager Looks like:It shows tons of information on almost all the processes that are running.Compared to the old Task Manager, which looks like this:It's easier to look at as it only shows the programs with active windows or minimized on...
  3. New Task Manager Too Complex To Use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Task Manager Too Complex To Use: So this is how the new Task Manager Looks like:It shows tons of information on almost all the processes that are running.Compared to the old Task Manager, which looks like this:is easier to look at as it only shows the programs with active windows or minimized on...
  4. NOT ENOUGH USB CONTROLLER RESOURCES

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NOT ENOUGH USB CONTROLLER RESOURCES: Hi, I've been trying to solve this problem for a while now but I can't solve it. I cannot connect more than 2 XBox 360 pc joypads at the same time. The third is not detected and the operating system returns the alert "NOT ENOUGH USB CONTROLLER RESOURCES". I've tried by...
  5. Not Enough USB Controller Resources

Not Enough USB Controller Resources: I have Lenovo Yoga 730-15IKB with latest firmware Bios version: 7KCN32WWV1.13. As soon as I updated my laptop from Windows Pro 10 version 1909 to Windows Pro 10 version 2004, I started getting a message "not enough USB resources" and my microphone stopped working. I...
  6. Is Windows Just too complex?

in Windows 10 News
    Is Windows Just too complex?: Here's a piece I find illuminating. The Coming Software Apocalypse - The Atlantic - Pocket 134984
  7. usb control not enough resources

usb control not enough resources: usb controller not enough resources https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-control-not-enough-resources/27a09d7d-c6f3-4c13-bf46-dc9ce0fe9aa8
  8. Not Enough USB Controller Resources Windows 10 version 1809

Not Enough USB Controller Resources Windows 10 version 1809: Hello, and sorry for the long post. I decided to upgrade my motherboard and processor after 4 years, and after installing the Aorus x470 and R7 2700x, I couldn't get more than 3 USB 2.0 devices to work at the same time. After hours of frustration and phone calls to...
  9. Windows 10 update - not enough space to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update - not enough space to update: I can't install Windows 10 Update due to lack of space on c drive. I've tried removing things I don't need, but its not enough. Windows Support says I can install the update using an external storage device, but that doesn't come up as an option....
  10. installation is stuck, explanation is too complex

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation is stuck, explanation is too complex: Try following these steps: Click Start, Run, type: cmd. Right click the Program Menu entry that appear and select “Run as Administrator”. Press Enter. Run the following command in the opened window: Net stop WuAuServ Wait for the process to finish. Click Start, Run,...