Windows 10: Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected.

Discus and support Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have noticed that some of the recent updates could take a very long time to complete if I have a external hard drive connected. I can see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Eric________________, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected.

So I have noticed that some of the recent updates could take a very long time to complete if I have a external hard drive connected.

I can see the external hard drive flashing for a very long time after the counter reaches 100% and the PC restarts.

If I unplug the external hard drive before upgrading, it usually completes in a much shorter time. Usually minutes, no more than half an hour.

Is this expected?

:)

Eric________________, Aug 6, 2020

2. External hard drive not suppoted after anniversary update windows 10

To isolate the issue, we suggest that you perform the following steps below:

• Connect the external hard drive to the different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Use different external hard drive to connect to the same port and check if same issue happens.

If the same issue happens after using different external hard drive to different ports, try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problem and make sure that any new devices or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly. Here's how:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

After that, follow the steps on how to Install and Update drivers
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Ryan Mon1 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro will not connect to external hard drive

Let's try these other workarounds to narrow down the cause of the issue, we would like to suggest that you follow the methods mentioned below.

Method 1: Uninstall and reconnect the external hard drive.

• Right click on Start Menu, and select Device Manager.
    • Double click and expand Disk Drives.
    • Right click on each of the drives and select Uninstall.

Note: You may be prompted to enter an Admin password.

• After it uninstalls, reboot the computer and plug the external hard drive and check.

If the issue did not resolve proceed to the next method.

Method 2: Windows Updates.

This method will install the latest device drivers for your USB external hard drive. Open Windows updates and check if there are any pending updates in your computer. If so, disconnect all external devices other that keyboard and mouse. Install the updates
    a check.

Regards,

Ryan Mon1, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected.

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected.

1. Windows 10 update takes 1 hours if external hard drive is connected. - Similar Threads - update takes hours

2. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  3. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  4. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  6. Connecting external hard drive to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting external hard drive to windows 10: I have purchased an external hard drive and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop but it does not appear anywhere on the computer. Not in file manager, not in device manager, nowhere. I have tried everything. I have deleted and reinstalled drivers, I have updated drivers, I...
  7. Windows 10 and Seagate External Hard Drive not connecting.

Windows 10 and Seagate External Hard Drive not connecting.: About two weeks ago my Windows 10 on PC stopped recognizing Seagrave external hard drive in usual USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-seagate-external-hard-drive-not/388034a2-eb70-491d-86d1-4155a9160a33
  8. Windows 10 update takes hours.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update takes hours.: Microsoft, Please make sure that Windows 10 updates are not so painful. I have lost income due to Windows 10 update taking hours, and my laptop was showing circle going round and round, with nothing happening. I lost at least 4.5 hours of income and I am not rich to get these...
  9. Connecting External hard drive

Connecting External hard drive: How do I connect an external hard drive, with data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-external-hard-drive/b1670bab-3009-4da3-b712-006026fefcfe
  10. Can't take ownership of external hard drive

Can't take ownership of external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner. When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive,...