Windows 10: Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel

Discus and support Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Since the launch of Microsoft’s metro Windows 8 operating system, system settings have been split across the desktop-friendly Control Panel and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 11, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel

Since the launch of Microsoft’s metro Windows 8 operating system, system settings have been split across the desktop-friendly Control Panel and the newer Settings app.

While Microsoft has tried to bridge the gap between the two system settings, most users know that the best way to alter the advance settings of Windows 10 is to open the Control Panel.

Control Panel is packed with tools (applets) that allow you to configure and manage the way that the OS works. The Control Panel has many tools and Microsoft is planning to start redirecting some applets to the modern Settings app to make it easy for you to find the tool that you need for a particular task in one place.

One of the important features of the Control Panel is the classic “Uninstall Programs” panel, otherwise known as the “Programs and Features” window.

Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel Control-Panel-programs-applet.jpg

By default, it’s buried in Windows Search results, but Microsoft allows you to manually access it by navigating to the Control Panel.

Microsoft now wants you to use “Apps & Features” instead, which is the modern replacement of Control Panel’s Programs applet found in the Settings.

With Windows 10 Build 20211, Microsoft has also introduced another nail in the coffin of the Control Panel. The latest change sees the “Programs and Features” being replaced by “Apps & Features”.

According to a quick scan of Microsoft Program Database (PDB) files in Build 20211, Microsoft is testing a flag called “RedirectProgramsAndFeatures” that will redirect the following window to the Settings app.

Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel Program-and-Features.jpg

When you try to open the “Programs and Features” applet in the Control Panel, Windows 10 will redirect you to the “Apps & Features” page of the Settings, as shown in the screenshot below:

Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel Apps-and-Features.jpg

The programs page has been available in Settings for a while, but Microsoft is now planning to direct users to toward it when they access the old applet in Control Panel.

The modern replacement still allows users to uninstall programs, as well as change app execution aliases and access the optional features page.

With this latest change, it seems that Microsoft is finally serious about a unified system settings experience on Windows 10 that will eventually do away with the old Control Panel altogether.

The post Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel

1. Windows 10 update takes another step to kill off the Control Panel - Similar Threads - update takes another

2. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  3. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  4. Microsoft takes another step to bridge Win32-UWP divide on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft takes another step to bridge Win32-UWP divide on Windows 10: As you may be aware, Project Reunion is Microsoft’s latest project to make app development easier for Windows 10. Project Reunion is being developed to bridge the gap between two important app platforms (APIs) for Windows 10 – Win32 (desktop) and UWP (modern Store apps). In...
  5. Microsoft is redesigning another Control Panel feature in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is redesigning another Control Panel feature in Windows 10: Control Panel has been a part of Windows since Windows 1.0 and it has a staunch fanbase of older users who prefer it over the modern Settings app, which is still missing key features. Starting with Windows 10 October 2020 Update, Microsoft has been trying to push more...
  6. Windows 10 update will bring another Control Panel feature to Settings

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update will bring another Control Panel feature to Settings: Ever since Windows 8, Microsoft has included two methods of changing system settings – Control Panel and modern Settings. Over the past few years, Settings app has slowly become more functional and it’s also getting more of Control Panel’s capabilities, including the Windows...
  7. Step-by-step procedure to turn off Check for updates feature in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Step-by-step procedure to turn off Check for updates feature in Windows 10: Hello everyone, I need a small assistance: Actually, I need to permanently turn off the "Check for updates option" in Windows 10 64-bit. I therefore request you to kindly assist me further....
  8. Windows 10 update to kill off Control Panel’s System applet

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update to kill off Control Panel’s System applet: It’s been over eight years since Microsoft first released the Settings interface with Windows 8 and Windows 10 still includes the traditional Control Panel. When Windows 10 was announced, Microsoft said it plans to include the Control Panel until the Settings app is developed...
  9. Control Panel/ Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Control Panel/ Windows update: I was looking through my control panel this morning and I saw Update for Windows 10 for x64-based system(kb40...... as one of the apps installed on january 11 2018 and I was wondering if I should delete it...
  10. Windows update is not in the control panel,

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update is not in the control panel,: Windows update is not in the control panel, where is it? 14814