Windows 10: Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an...

Discus and support Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the last day, I'm starting to get a notification my window build is about to expired. so tried to go to window update and click the "check online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tidharPX, Dec 2, 2018.

1. tidharPX Win User

Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an...

In the last day, I'm starting to get a notification my window build is about to expired.

so tried to go to window update and click the "check online for update" link. since this is how I usually get new windows builds.

what happens next is that the window close (aka, crash).

windows build: 18252.1000

AFAIK I'm on the fast build lane.

what I did:

1. Tried to look in ETL files - didn't saw any error (or didn't understood).

2. Verified windows update and Update Orchestrator Service is up and running.

3. Run system check (sfc /scannow) - no issues.

I really don't want to reset my pc (that will probably help).

so...help ! Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an... :)

thanks Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an... :)

:)

tidharPX, Dec 2, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 2, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Dec 2, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an...

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update (the actual window update form) crash when trying to check online for an... - Similar Threads - update actual window

2. Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?: In general WSUS will handle the updates but if we check the “ check for online updates” , will it break the system like optional updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-check-for-online-updates-affect-the-system/a272183f-0171-40cc-b277-70399d8f3a42
  3. Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game: Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game. The Chrome crash .dmp is below.CONTEXT: .ecxrrax=00007ff923acfb1e rbx=0000008a287f38b0 rcx=0000000000000000rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=000036e610e47260rip=00007ff983024fd9...
  4. Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game: Windows 10 Update: KernelBase.dll causing Chrome to crash when playing online game. The Chrome crash .dmp is below.CONTEXT: .ecxrrax=00007ff923acfb1e rbx=0000008a287f38b0 rcx=0000000000000000rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=000036e610e47260rip=00007ff983024fd9...
  5. Windows Update will not actually Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update will not actually Update: I am having problems installing updates and have done everything down to troubleshooting and that has found no issues. Is there a way to hard reset the Update so I can get them that way?...
  6. 0x80070006 error when trying to check for updates microsoft store and updates for windows

0x80070006 error when trying to check for updates microsoft store and updates for windows: Windows 10 Home version 20H2 whenever i try to check for updates i get this error 0x80070006 it says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:...
  7. "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.: I'm working with PC's on a domain with WSUS, but sometimes I want to bypass WSUS and check for updates from Windows Update (like if there are errors downloading from WSUS). However, whenever there are any errors with the standard "Check for Updates" option, the "Check...
  8. ONLINE ORDER FORMS

in Windows 10 Customization
    ONLINE ORDER FORMS: When filling out order forms to buy products. The form closes before I complete it. Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/online-order-forms/e88c6659-c6cf-4f1b-8f78-84f251be5e47
  9. Windows 10 update windows crash when trying to check online for an update, hence, can't...

Windows 10 update windows crash when trying to check online for an update, hence, can't...: In the last day, I'm starting to get a notification my window build is about to expired. so tried to go to window update and click the "check online for update" link. since this is how I usually get new windows builds. what happens next is that the window close (aka,...
  10. Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?: I'm using the run command as below (1st pic), but I get a server timeout error, but if I go to the settings screen there is an option to "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update." (2nd pic). Is there a run command for this one since it works through settings? I use the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 check for updates crashing

2. When I try to fill in form

3. check online for windows updates crash

4. check online for updates closes window,
  5. build 18277 check online for windows updates crashes,
  6. check online for windows updates crashes