Windows 10: Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition"

Discus and support Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I asked about this before, and was given a link to Microsoft Support to change the name of the Reserved Partition to "Y" and then a couple more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by George Flach, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition"

I asked about this before, and was given a link to Microsoft Support to change the name of the Reserved Partition to "Y" and then a couple more commands to delete files, I guess. I wasn't comfortable doing that. I'm not an advance user. However, I went back and looked at Disk Management, and there is no problem with the System Reserved Partition being too full. In fact, it's 100% available. I had a screenshot of the Disk Management window, but I can't paste it here.The one I think is the System Reserved Partition is called EFI System Partition, and has 100 mb capa

:)

George Flach, Apr 23, 2021
  2. Anthony Gal, Apr 23, 2021
  3. We couldn't update the system reserved partition - Windows 10 1803 Updates won't install

The usual suggestion is to clean it out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows

Are you implying DISM is showing a message about bootmgr? What is the message exactly? You may need to use a different DISM syntax and point to a /source:

Otherwise it may be bogus. For a possibly related incident see

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-update-kb3213986-fails-repeatedly-with/46d9b1af-71a6-4d39-acaf-c3882047ac12

What are the details for that?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Apr 23, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition"

Error: we couldn't update the reserved partition when trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error “we couldn't update the reserved partition” when trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. I’ll certainly help you with this issue.

However, please let us know:

• How are you trying to upgrade the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10

Caution: these steps are complicated, and carry some risk. This is best done by advanced users with experience using the command line. If you make an error in entering these commands, you could put your device in a
    no-boot situation, and possibly lose data you have stored on the device.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition"

1. Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Gets Error "Can't Update Reserved Partition" - Similar Threads - Update 20H2 Gets

2. windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition: I have the same problem as someone else that posted April 13, 2021, so I'm just gonna copy his description. I can't follow those instructions given in case there's a small difference in what's going on with my computer.when i tried to update to windows 10 version 20H2, error...
  3. windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition: I have the same problem as someone else that posted April 13, 2021, so I'm just gonna copy his description. I can't follow those instructions given in case there's a small difference in what's going on with my computer.when i tried to update to windows 10 version 20H2, error...
  4. windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition

windows 10 update version 20H2, we couldn't update the system reserved partition: when i tried to update to windows 10 version 20H2, error prompted, this PC can't run windows 10 - we couldn't update the system reserved partition. i went to my disk management and couldn't find the system reserved partition. below is the screenshot of the error and my...
  5. Can't update Win 10 due to reserve partition error

Can't update Win 10 due to reserve partition error: I went into the Disk Management menu and it showed 4 partitions. I don't know what all that means, but the first one was "C", and the rest had no designation. The "C" partition showed 87%, and the other three showed 100%. All said "Healthy". I'm guessing that means I...
  6. Can't update system reserved partition.

Can't update system reserved partition.: I cant update windows. Every time I try I get the cant update system reserved partition error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-update-system-reserved-partition/dfc732c2-5b49-43b0-afd9-62f6cbbd7aa8
  7. Windows 10 update error update the system reserved partition

Windows 10 update error update the system reserved partition: I am having problems with an update to windows 10, I'm getting an error that says "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" The instructions I'm seeing online seem very complicated to increase the partition can someone help....
  8. Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.

Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.: Hi, Trying to eliminate the freezing up problem with Windows 10. Recently noticed a key update KB3176938 has not been loaded to my system. In the settings, tried to update but got the message "Can't update the system reserved partition." OK, so poked around in Microsoft...
  9. Windows 10 Update can't update system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update can't update system reserved partition: Hi: I looked for this issue in the forum, but didn't see anything; sorry if it's here and I missed it. I'm trying to update from 8.1 64-bit to 10 on my i7 24GB Toshiba laptop. I keep getting the message "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. We couldn't update the system...
  10. Can't Update System Reserved Partition

Can't Update System Reserved Partition: Received this message whilst trying to upgrade my Acer Laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Home. [img] I've previously upgraded my Desktop from Windows 7 Pro SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Pro & subsequently performed a clean install with no...