Windows 10: Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Issues Black Screen With Auto-Login

Discus and support Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Issues Black Screen With Auto-Login in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10 20H2 and I have an issue that seems to be part of the infamous Black Screen problem that plagues many users. First... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sporc, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Sporc Win User

Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Issues Black Screen With Auto-Login

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 20H2 and I have an issue that seems to be part of the infamous Black Screen problem that plagues many users.

First off, here's how my computer boots into Windows Auto-Login Enabled.

1. Boot the computer
    2. Windows Logo and spinning dots
    3. It shows the "Username Signing In" with spinning dots
    4. Black Screen with cursor showing up when I move it. Clicking anywhere results in a Windows Error sound.

Things I have tested during the Black Screen

1. Signing out/Logging Off and back on seems to fix it until Shutting down and starting back up via Restart or Shutdown.
    2. Pressing the Windows Start Key on the keyboard allows the Start Menu to show. I can navigate it fine and launch programs, I just can't use said launched programs. Hovering the mouse over the launched program's taskbar icon shows the screen normally black screen goes away temporarily until moving off hover over icon.
    3. Uninstalled video drivers, used Microsoft Default, same Black Screen, Reinstalled Video Graphics Drivers
    4. Disabled Auto-Login via netplwiz and restarted the computer. It brings up the Sign-In, I enter my info and it signs in correctly without a black screen.
    5. Enabled Auto-Login via netplwiz and restarted the computer. The black screen returns.

I have been using netplwiz to auto-login to Windows for many many years because I just hate having to type in anything when booting up. This version of the Black Screen was not in the 1903 installation of Windows 10. It wasn't an issue in the 2004 version either. But it is an issue in the 20H2.

Anyone else able to reproduce this?

:)

Sporc, Dec 23, 2020
  2. keakar Win User

XP auto update thingy

to get net 3 you will have to follow the steps i mentioned.

net 3 has some better security features so i would recommend finding time to update it.

keakar, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Black Screen Isuue in Window 10

Hi kashish,

I would appreciate you for trying troubleshooting steps.

To understand the issue better, I request you to answer few questions:

• Does black screen appear when you before user login’s or after user has logged in ?
    • Does black screen appears when you lock your pc?
    This problem occurs because of a change in the behavior of Win Logon and Logon UI. This change introduces the potential for the deadlock.

I would also suggest you to install all the updates available for the system and check if it helps.

Follow the Below steps:

• Type settings in the Search area on the taskbar and select Settings
    • Select Update and Security.
    • Click on Windows Update and select Check for Updates

Keep us posted with the status of the issue. We’ll be glad to assist if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Sujay Balraj, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

black screen after windows 10 auto update

Hi,

I realize that you facing the issue with the black screen of the display after Windows 10 update, let me assist you.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Update to 20H2 Issues Black Screen With Auto-Login - Similar Threads - Update 20H2 Issues

2. Black screen after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after 20H2 update: Hello, I’ve tried updating my computer to 20H2 update about 20 times already, every time the update finishes I get a black screen with no cursor, task manager doesn’t work, nothing works, and I have to restart my computer every time to “Undoing changes made to your computer”....
  3. Black screen after Windows 10 2004/20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after Windows 10 2004/20H2 update: Hello, I've tried updating Windows a couple of times now. I've tried updating via Windows Update, Windows Upgrade Assistant, Windows Media Creation Tool and a bootable USB created using Rufus and it's included download tool. When I first login after upgrading I get the...
  4. Windows 10 20H2] Long loading time black screen before login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20H2] Long loading time black screen before login: Hello all, I have a problem with Win10, namely it started to load slower and slower for me. At first, I did not pay much attention (System started time 15/20s) to it until the time increased to 10min (somewhere around June) then something really started to be wrong. I...
  5. Auto Login Issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Auto Login Issues: Hello all, Ive been having a rough time trying to get my computer to auto login on startup. After searching through the forums I havent found an issue specifically like mine so figured Id start a new thread. I have turned off hello sign in in the sign in options, set password...
  6. Auto Login Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Login Issues: Hello all, Ive been having a rough time trying to get my computer to auto login on startup. After searching through the forums I havent found an issue specifically like mine so figured Id start a new thread. I have turned off hello sign in in the sign in options, set password...
  7. 20H2 Netplwiz no longer has auto login

20H2 Netplwiz no longer has auto login: Just updated to 20H2 on a new build and when I ran Netplwiz there is no option for auto login. There is no option to turn on/off Hello anymore either. Any idea if we will still be able to auto login anymore? 166791
  8. Auto Login issue

Auto Login issue: When I bought the laptop it came with Win 10 preinstalled. As far as I know I've never had a password for it. It did request me to set up a pin though. The issue that i have is that I want the laptop to boot up without asking for a login. I've followed quite a lot of...
  9. Auto Login issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Login issue: When I bought the laptop it came with Win 10 preinstalled. As far as I know I've never had a password for it. It did request me to set up a pin though. The issue that i have is that I want the laptop to boot up without asking for a login. I've followed quite a lot of...
  10. Windows 10 black screen at login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen at login: I have just installed windows 10 on my MacPro 5,1 without bootcamp and installed Bootcamp drivers via WindowSupport. I have had this issue since ive installed the OS. I believe it has something to do with the the drivers given by nVidia as when i boot into windows using safe...