Windows 10: Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource...

Discus and support Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi Team, Having a terrible issue with updating my PC to the latest windows version. This is my 3rd time installing this update as previously I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EoinGorman, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource...

Hi Team,

Having a terrible issue with updating my PC to the latest windows version.

This is my 3rd time installing this update as previously I have rolled back to last install Windows keeps forcing the broken update... that is a separate complaint

Basically, after install, any games using Easy Anti Cheat fail to run with some complaint about a corrupt .dll file.

Steps suggested for fixing this are to try running 'sfc /scannow'
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Unfortunately, this leads to the error pasted in the title
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

When I follow the microsoft documentation about what to do next, it says to check what is in the CBS logs for the full output of what files were corrupt or failed to repair.
    Great.
    Only I go and check there, and although the logs are new and up to date, there is no errors inside.
    Following instructions here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e#bkmk_cbs_log

So with nothing in the CBS logs I am at a loss as to what to do next.

It should be made clear, this affects the performance of my system in several ways not just with EAC.
    I have seen my computer freeze up since, trying to open the task manager, or any windows UI has been freezing and difficult settings menus, just getting CMD open for instance...
    All since this update.
    Also if it makes it any more Microsoft related the game I am trying to play is the Halo Master Chief Collection lol

Pasting some of my PC specs and the CBS logs below before rolling back this update again.

System Summary

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name EL-GORMO
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU SKU
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1407, 01/04/2020
    SMBIOS Version 3.2
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Product TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WI-FI
    BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume8
    Locale Ireland
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
    User Name EL-GORMO\Eoin
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory RAM 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 10.9 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 26.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 19.8 GB
    Page File Space 11.0 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

CBS Logs

Pasting the logs seems to have gone over my 60k character count I am allowed in this post, can't see any way to attach a file so will leave it for now, can maybe upload somewhere and link to them on request.

:)

EoinGorman, Jan 31, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

1. Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    2. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    3. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    4. Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    5. Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, Jan 31, 2021
  3. sfc /scannow "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

Hi,

Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service is an error which may occur if you are trying to run the System File Checker tool (SFC /SCANNOW) to scan and repair Windows system files. To resolve this error, we suggest that you follow the
    steps below:

• Press the Windows + R keys to open run command box.
    • In the run command box, type services.msc, and press
      Enter.
    • In the list of services, double click the Windows Modules Installer service.
    • Set the startup type to Auto, and click OK.
    • Restart your computer.
    • After the restart, you'll be able to run the sfc /scannow command without any problems.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 31, 2021
  4. lnjr Win User

Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource...

sfc /scannow & windows resource protection issue

Great suggestions! I will just avoid the updates for now and then take care of those afterwards. This way, as you stated, I can hopefully get things fixed more quickly and then just take care of the updates later. Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... :)

- - - Updated - - -

all the severe storms have moved through so I am about to give this a shot - fingers crossed all goes well Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just tried and got a bunch of errors *Sad

Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... [​IMG]

Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... [​IMG]

I will try downloading it again and hopefully this time it will work

- - - Updated - - -

We had storms started moving through again and we lost power so I have to start the download all over again - ugggg..... Hopefully, this time the power stays on and I don't have to try downloading that file again. Won't be able to get to doing the repair with that file until around noon tomorrow since I have an appointment tomorrow morning. Will let you know how things go and I do hope that I don't get the same errors that I did with the first download.

- - - Updated - - -

I have downloaded that file again, and just tried right clicking on it, selecting mount and then clicking on the setup file with the same results as yesterday.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

In case the errors are different here are screen shots of each of them again.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure why all images are not appearing, lets try again

- - - Updated - - -

I did find the media creation tool for version 1803 - but when I click on it, I just get a screen to install the current media creation tool which is for version 1903. I do have version 1903 as an .iso on my computer but I am not sure I can use that one.

Thema:

Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource...

1. Windows 10 Update to Build 19042 Results in 'sfc /scannow' throwing error "Windows Resource... - Similar Threads - Update Build 19042

2. Windows 10 very slow - sfc scannow results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 very slow - sfc scannow results: My computer just started running very slow - almost unusable. Ran a Kaspersky virus check - no problem. Ran a System File Check (results attached). Don't know how to read the Log - otherwise, I would have included it. Could someone tell me what steps I should take next? Thank...
  3. sfc /scannow & windows resource protection issue

sfc /scannow & windows resource protection issue: A few days ago (to be honest, I can't even remember what the issue was now) I was having a problem and tried running the sfc / scannow from the command prompt (admin) and got the message that Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation once it was at...
  4. sfc /scannow & windows resource protection issue

in Windows 10 Support
    sfc /scannow & windows resource protection issue: A few days ago (to be honest, I can't even remember what the issue was now) I was having a problem and tried running the sfc / scannow from the command prompt (admin) and got the message that Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation once it was at...
  5. Interpreting sfc /scannow results

Interpreting sfc /scannow results: My W10 Pro PC is running quite well. I decided to run sfc /scannow and came up with the following results: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at...
  6. Sfc /scannow error: WIndow resource could not start the repair service

Sfc /scannow error: WIndow resource could not start the repair service: Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows gave an error of not being able to start. I am booting from a windows dvd(to repair window). Oddly, i could not find a way to start in safe mode. The window dvd boot have "Advanced options". Under that it has...
  7. windows 10 build 10586 sfc /scannow

windows 10 build 10586 sfc /scannow: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix ((((((( log file I applyCBS.rar Windows 10 pro x64 licensing 37974
  8. SFC /Scannow Results

SFC /Scannow Results: Have i problems in my OS? SFC Details.txt 45203
  9. SFC Scannow Results

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC Scannow Results: Has anyone else run "sfc /scannow" on their system? I am receiving integrity errors but they don't seem to logged or I can't find them in the usual place. 3341
  10. SFC /SCANNOW results

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC /SCANNOW results: Finally in this build 10049, I can run SFC /SCANNOW completely. I've extracted just the SR results from cbs.log showing repairs, but one did not fix. Has something to do with powershell. I've rebooted and rerun 3 times, the recommended. Any thoughts? sfcdetails.txt 5130