Windows 10: Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert

Discus and support Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC was left on with Google Chrome open with a number of tabs open. When I checked the PC it has a Windows 10 update alert "We've got an update for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GillianRichmond1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert

My PC was left on with Google Chrome open with a number of tabs open. When I checked the PC it has a Windows 10 update alert "We've got an update for you." Your update is scheduled for 5.30pm or restart now. However it was already past 5.30pm when I noticed the screen.

The mouse arrow is just a cycling circle indicating its thinking so I can't select anything with the mouse. Its a touch screen but that also won't work.

How do I get back into a working PC?

Do I turn off the power and hope I don't loose my work which was open and don't hurt the PC in any other way?

:)

GillianRichmond1, Oct 9, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 9, 2019
  3. desennium Win User
    Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Oct 9, 2019
  4. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert

1. Windows 10 update today has frozen my PC at the "We've got an update for you" alert - Similar Threads - update today has

2. "We've Got An Update For You" Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We've Got An Update For You" Prompt: Hello, Microsoft Team.I received this morning a prompt that says "we've got an update for you-- Windows is continuously improving, and updates are a normal part of keeping it running smoothly. We'll restart and install this update at 9:42 AM. Or, you can restart now if you're...
  3. "We've Got An Update For You" Prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We've Got An Update For You" Prompt: Hello, Microsoft Team.I received this morning a prompt that says "we've got an update for you-- Windows is continuously improving, and updates are a normal part of keeping it running smoothly. We'll restart and install this update at 9:42 AM. Or, you can restart now if you're...
  4. "We've got an update for you" not responding, stuck on screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We've got an update for you" not responding, stuck on screen: Im using an MSI laptop, I saw someone else had this problem but they had 2 moniters so they were able to access settings from the other one, I cannot. Ivetried restarting my computer but its still there...
  5. "We've got an update for you" not responding, stuck on screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We've got an update for you" not responding, stuck on screen: Im using an MSI laptop, I saw someone else had this problem but they had 2 moniters so they were able to access settings from the other one, I cannot. Ivetried restarting my computer but its still there...
  6. "We've got an update for you"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "We've got an update for you": This message is displayed on my computer but locks it up. But, I can not select any of the options. The computer remains frozen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weve-got-an-update-for-you/6b974f2e-1ffc-45e9-a3fb-42d8ef3b9056
  7. Hi, we've got some updates for you.......

Hi, we've got some updates for you.......: This appeared on my pc yesterday but only on my account, not my son's or the wife's. I've read that there is a big update coming for Windows 10 and thought it was that. Read a few things on the net and it seems legit so left the pc on overnight. This morning nothing had...
  8. "We've got an update for you " Not responding

"We've got an update for you " Not responding: When I get thie "We've got an update for you" notification and I'm not on my computer at that moment. It will always stuck. I have two external monitors, plus the laptops own monitor and the one where the notification is, will stuck. You can't press any of those buttons....
  9. We've got an update for you, can't click on anything.

We've got an update for you, can't click on anything.: Just today i got this dialogue box and i was unable to click on any of the options in the dialogue box. What's worse is that the computer didnt even restart at the scheduled time. I had to navigate to an elivated cmd prompt using my keyboard to restart the computer. Who...
  10. We've got an update for you

We've got an update for you: This message came up on my computer with the options of "Restart Now" "Another Time" and "Ok". I am unable to click on any of the options or get rid of the message. I have rebooted my computer now, multiple times. Any suggestions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. weve got an update for you frozen

2. weve got an update for you frozen wsus