Windows 10: Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

Discus and support Windows 10 Update using an external storage device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP notebook does not have enough space to allow an update of Windows 10. There is a note on the Update assistant that I need to connect an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RolandBardy, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

My HP notebook does not have enough space to allow an update of Windows 10. There is a note on the Update assistant that I need to connect an external storage device, which I did. But the assistant seems to not recognize the device. What is it that I am doing wrong?

Roland

:)

RolandBardy, Sep 16, 2019

2. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

Windows 10 Update using an external storage device c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

Hi Haziq,

To further isolate the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you tried connecting your external device storage to different PC to make sure that it's not defective?

• Have you tried connecting a different external storage device to your PC to check if you're still experiencing the same issue?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For the meantime, you may try suggested troubleshooting that was provided by
    Andre Da Costa
    from this link and check if it makes any difference.

Update us with the result.

Jenicel Dri, Sep 16, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Windows 10 Update using an external storage device :)

95Viper, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

1. Windows 10 Update using an external storage device - Similar Threads - Update using external

2. windows 11 update will not use external storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 update will not use external storage: it sees that I have space on my D: drive and a usb device but when I select them nothing happens it just wants to clear space from C: drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-will-not-use-external-storage/b7e42608-2493-4052-8e9f-004efa66f293
  3. windows 11 update will not use external storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 update will not use external storage: it sees that I have space on my D: drive and a usb device but when I select them nothing happens it just wants to clear space from C: drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-will-not-use-external-storage/b7e42608-2493-4052-8e9f-004efa66f293
  4. windows 10 tool wiped external storage device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 tool wiped external storage device: I have had to spend over £100 to buy a new storage device after windowns 10 download destroyed my storage device of years. I m using a recovery tool to restore it onto a new storage device. however i am concerned it will do the same to the new device as soon as the recovery...
  5. windows 10 tool wiped external storage device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 tool wiped external storage device: I have had to spend over £100 to buy a new storage device after windowns 10 download destroyed my storage device of years. I m using a recovery tool to restore it onto a new storage device. however i am concerned it will do the same to the new device as soon as the recovery...
  6. Windows update will not use external storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update will not use external storage: Windows update recognises that I have external storage attached but will not use it for updating to Feature Update 20H2 it simply continues to try to 'Free up Storage' even though the external storage device is shown in the dialog see Below. The external device is a USB3...
  7. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  8. Using External Storage Device for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using External Storage Device for Windows Update: I have Windows Update Assistant to update Windows 10. The laptop I am using has a 28 GB hard drive so even after using disk cleanup and moving files I won't be able to get 8GB free, at least without drastic changes such as uninstalling Office.. Supposedly one can attach a...
  9. Hitachi External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  10. Using external storage for the October update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using external storage for the October update: Once again as I wait for the October Update to arrive I am concerned about my small storage (nominal 42 GB) 2-in-1 tablet PC having enough space to install it. I understand that now additional storage available on a USB flash 'pen drive' can be used, temporarily. I have some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update assistant insert an external storage device

2. why can i not do windows update using external windows 10 pro