Windows 10: Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

Discus and support Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000' in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I ran the Windows update v1909 it copied my user folder 'C:\Users\will' to 'C:\Users\will.000' and then deleted most of the files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wpqs, Nov 29, 2019.

1. wpqs Win User

Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

When I ran the Windows update v1909 it copied my user folder 'C:\Users\will' to 'C:\Users\will.000' and then deleted most of the files in 'C:\Users\will' . Consequently most of my applications can't now find the files they need - OneDrive, Outlook, etc. My PC is now useless.

I restored my PC using my NovaStor monthly backup image so the user folder 'C:\Users\will' contained the expected files and then reapplied the update. Unfortunately, the same happened - most of the files in folder 'C:\Users\will' were moved to 'C:\Users\will.000'.

I have run the Windows 10 Update Trouble shooter and it reports all OK. I have run Windows Update and it reports all up to date. Removing the v1909 update didn't restore my user folder so I reapplied it (the 1909 update). I have automatic updates enabled so keep my machine (Surface Pro) regulary updated.

How can I fix this problem without having reinstall the OS and all my app, data, etc - something that will take about a week?

:)

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Nov 29, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

Windows 10 update 1803 renamed the user account folder with .000 suffix

I installed the Windows 10 update version 1803 yesterday night. Some time later, I realized that for some reason, it had renamed my original User's folder with a .000 suffix. My user account name is still the same. There is now a new folder with the original username, but there are only a couple of folders inside it. All of the documents, downloads, application data, etc. is inside the folder suffixed with the .000. Opening the cmd prompt opens directly into the folder with the .000 suffix.

I am able to login to my account, see desktop icons, etc. However some apps that expect data to be in the folder without the suffix are unable to load their settings. For example, Notepad++ cannot load its last saved session. Also, unable to browse downloaded files through Firefox.

I'd like to have my User folder back without the .000 suffix. Could someone tell me how. I haven't seen anything on Microsoft acknowledging this and haven't come across any fix for it.

user1720897, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

1. Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000' - Similar Threads - update v1909 Breaks

2. Windows 10: How to fix user.000 folder problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: How to fix user.000 folder problem: I've recently started up my computer after a while and noticed that instead of just having a user folder, for instance "Shane", I have "Shane" and "Shane.000". All my files from "Shane" are now in "Shane.000" and I want to put them back into my normal Shane user folder and...
  3. Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000: Hello, I've been reading many many threads regarding an update that renamed the C:\Users\{User} to C:\Users\{User}.000. This seems to break lots of programs that are actually pointing to the \{User} folder. I believe Zune may have been the reason why this .000 folder was...
  4. User folder renamed with .000?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder renamed with .000?: Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two user folders - 'Doug' and 'Doug.000'. For the record, his machine only ever had one user account called Doug, which was an admin...
  5. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  6. Rename the User’s Folder in Windows 10

Rename the User’s Folder in Windows 10: Hi, I was trying to change my username folder in my windows 10 home but I can't change it because previously I had Google backup and sync installed on my computer. I uninstalled that program and even deleted the folder from my computer. I couldn't change my username even...
  7. Windows 10 v1909 update breaks File Explorer

Windows 10 v1909 update breaks File Explorer: Since the Windows 10 v1909 update, this PC (see link for config) has been having the following File Explorer issues: Thumbnails not loading: [ATTACH] File Explorer starting with only Quick Access, This PC, and Libraries in the left shortcut pane, with the main pane saying...
  8. Windows 10 Update 1903 renamed User folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update 1903 renamed User folder: After updating Windows 10 with cumulative Update 1903. Users/User is renamed Users/User.000 and the old folder Users/User remains with just a handful of files in it. This effectively disables Outlook, Dropbox and other applications. After reading about a few other folks...
  9. Rename user folder in windows 10

Rename user folder in windows 10: Got the BSOD and had to reload Windows 10. My email address starts with MNstrel@ so windows made my user folder MNstr. I want my user folder to be my name, David B........ My microsoft account has my full name. My user account has my full name. When I try to make a local...
  10. Renaming a user folder in This PC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming a user folder in This PC: Greetings Ten Forums!, I have recently encountered another problem regarding the user folders(Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents, Downloads...etc) in This PC, though this time it's a problem that occurred when I first installed Windows 10 but decided to ignore it. I was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. User name renaming problem in Windows 10 1909 upgrade

2. windows 10 update renamed user .000

3. windows 10 c users user instead of user000

4. update renamed user folder to .000