Windows 10: Windows 10 update & wiping my documents

Discus and support Windows 10 update & wiping my documents in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like some support with an issue I faced after being forced to install the upgrade to windows 10. Before Christmas, one evening I went to log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Laura310, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Laura310 Win User

Windows 10 update & wiping my documents

I would like some support with an issue I faced after being forced to install the upgrade to windows 10.
    Before Christmas, one evening I went to log on to my laptop to back up all my files, ready for a change of job and a start of my uni degree in January so that I was all organised and had everything I may need. I was met with a screen that told me my laptop was updating, so I left it as required and then logged on. When I did, I couldn’t find any of my documents and obviously noticed everything had changed.

I panicked, and managed to speak to your support team, who told me I’d been logged onto a temporary user and that my files would have been on my user details and that if I logged onto my user, which my laptop kept telling me it couldn’t find, everything would be there. An employee remotes on to my laptop, uninstalled windows 10 and reinstalled it and showed me that in fact 6 temporary users have been created. She told me to do something about burning to a disc and to phone back when the reinstall had been done.

When I did this, another colleague who was in Hawaii tried to help me and asked me if the previous colleague had asked me if I had a hard drive to do the disc burning - or whatever it’s called! - on to, to which i said I don’t so he couldn’t understand why I was asked to do it. He also said he had never heard of the issue of temporary profiles, despite me showing him when he remoted on, the six that had been created. He told me that the data I could find from 2014 that had been stored on the iCloud was the only data I had ever had on the computer! To which I told him this was not the case as I had been to uni in 2014-2017 and had used the laptop throughout. He couldn’t help either.

I took the laptop down to a local computer shop and they had it for a few days to look into. They found a bit more data than just the 2014 lot but the rest had been wiped by the upgrade, and whatever I was going to be backing up had been lost.

Once I got the laptop home, I realised software such as Microsoft office had been removed etc but I managed to reinstall this myself.

I would like for someone to make contact with me, either by email or by phone, regarding further action required.

I look forward to hearing from you.

:)

Laura310, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 9, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update & wiping my documents - Similar Threads - update wiping documents

2. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  3. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  4. Windows update wiped my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update wiped my computer: I just did the windows update last night and i woke up to my computer needing to reinstall windows. I tried to recover to a past point and was unable to due to it wiping my information. Has this happened to anyone?...
  5. windows update that wipes my laptop

windows update that wipes my laptop: I'm hating windows more every day. now it automatically "updates" my laptop, and in the course wipes off all the data and programs. then, when I try to get things back as they were, I'm not allowed any browser but the Edge, named after the musician that tried to massacre...
  6. Windows 10 wiped out all my documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wiped out all my documents: I switched on my HP laptop today and worked on it, everything was fine. I left it on sleep for about 2 hours, and came back to find there was a notification that Windows had signed me out of my user account. However, it logged in, and I found my desktop wallpaper was changed...
  7. Windows 10 update wiped my data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update wiped my data: I lost my IDM download list (from 2013) and license after an automatic Windows 10 update happened, is there any way to restore it? submitted by /u/putinmeister [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g45n78/windows_10_update_wiped_my_data/
  8. Windows 10 Update - wiped my pc!!!

Windows 10 Update - wiped my pc!!!: Hi - my windows 10 did some update last night and I have lost absolutely everything off my pc. HP all in one desktop. My pc is now like a brand new computer! Help as the stuff I had on it is irreplaceable and yes I am stupid for not backing up ... ideas please???...
  9. Win 10 Update wiping out entered documents and bookmarks

Win 10 Update wiping out entered documents and bookmarks: I have 4 computers. They all update within a day or two of each other. 3 of the computers are updating with no problems at all. One HP Desktop computer started wiping out all entered information, bookmark saved to Yahoo and Chrome, and just about everything that was...
  10. Latest windows update wiped my documents

Latest windows update wiped my documents: My Microsoft Surface Laptop automatically updated to the latest Windows 10 update (as of 28/0819). When it finished, it complelty wiped out all of my documents, downloads a majoirty of my files. Has anyone else experienced this? How do I fix it?...