Windows 10: Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low

Discus and support Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm looking to upgrade a small laptop computer to the latest version of Windows 10. It's a portable device with only limited flash drive storage.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AJL78, Jun 25, 2019.

1. AJL78 Win User

Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade a small laptop computer to the latest version of Windows 10. It's a portable device with only limited flash drive storage. I don't have enough storage to complete the update. I've seen it posted various times that if there isn't enough space then the updater will prompt to insert a USB drive and use that for the extra space. However, I never receive that prompt. I've used disk clean up to free up as much as I could, but don't understand why I'm not asked to use the removable media instead. I have a 16GB flash drive I'm looking to use

Any help would be appreciated, I've read so many other threads that haven't been able to help

Thanks

:)

AJL78, Jun 25, 2019
  2. Noela Tum Win User

Low Disk space and no storage

Hi Katie,

There are times when your Windows PC will let you know that it's low on disk space to prevent information loss. When your PC doesn't have enough disk space, it will affect the performance of your PC. Please answer these questions so we can isolate the cause
    of your concern:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How much disk space is available at this time? Can you provide me a screenshot of the current disk space?
    • What is the current OS Build of your PC? Click the Start button, then type
      winver, and then press Enter to verify this information.

You can also visit this
    article
    on how to free up more drive space to improve the performance of your computer.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Noela Tum, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Low Disk Space error

I have followed all the steps suggested & the problem is not resolved. How can I do the anniversary update with a USB stick. (I have an SSD laptop with limited space & I have no games installed).

PaulaBryder, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low

Unable to update due to Low disk space

Has anyone who has a system with low disk space been able to successfully get the windows 10 update? I have done disk cleanups, moved all my files to an sd card, deleted everything i could or that windows allows me to and still have low disk space. When
    i tried to update by inserting a usb stick i was still asked to free up disk space to update which i could not! It is very frustrating that Microsoft would want to have Windows 10 installed on devices that have small disk space! Please help!

Kamal_Naran, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low

1. Windows 10 update won't allow use of USB storage when disk space is low - Similar Threads - update won't allow

2. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  3. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  4. Low Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low Storage Space: Hi guys I have been hovering around 1GB worth of storage space left on my hard drive for quite some time that has stressed me out no end. I have done all sorts of clean up options, e.g. disc clean up, optimize the drive, temp folder, %temp% folder, prefetch, wsreset etc....
  5. Storage and low disk space, windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage and low disk space, windows 10 updates: I have had this pc for a while and the recent windows 10 update dosent have room to install, the C: drive is full while my D: drive is not. How do i change what drives the updates install on?...
  6. Storage and low disk space

Storage and low disk space: Hello, I have had this pc since Christmas and my disk space is low, so I switched default storage devices: start/settings/system/storage. But that did not work, can anyone help with this problem? Thanks....
  7. Window Update - Low disk space

Window Update - Low disk space: Windows can't update due to low disk space. The majority of my c: drive is "system & reserved". I've deleted temporary internet, the only download file is the update? How do I resolve this issue?...
  8. windows 10 update 'low disk space'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update 'low disk space': I have removed everything I can and still not enough space!!!!! what do I do?????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-low-disk-space/30e7d64d-8bc3-47e1-8e01-7be937ed2ade
  9. Windows Update Not enough disk space – Low storage space issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update Not enough disk space – Low storage space issues: [ATTACH] When updating Windows 10 if you are running into low storage space problem, it simply means that there is not enough disk space on the drive where Windows 10 has been installed. When Windows 10 downloads the update packages, it extracts [...] This post Windows...
  10. Disk thrashing when using storage space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk thrashing when using storage space: I'm using a storage space for a two-way mirror of two 4Tb drives as D: drive. C: is a completely separate 128Gb SSD, and the page file and TEMP folder are on a second SSD. I set the storage space up initially under Windows 8.1 Pro x64, and it worked without any problem, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont update to usb disk