Windows 10: Windows 10 updated - now can't get in

Discus and support Windows 10 updated - now can't get in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 was working fine this morning. It rebooted and now I am just faced with a black and white picture of a woman running up steps. Pressing any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Duncspur, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Duncspur Win User

Windows 10 updated - now can't get in

Windows 10 was working fine this morning. It rebooted and now I am just faced with a black and white picture of a woman running up steps. Pressing any key just makes the time and date disappear but there appears to be no log in. The only optio appears to be to Connect to the internet/Ease of access/Shut down.

If I restart, I get a message saying that there is an error 'Driver power state failure.'

I now appear to be completely locked out. Could somebody please advise me as to what to do?

:)

Duncspur, Oct 2, 2016

2. Updated Windows 10. Now I constantly get the message "This app can't run on your PC".

So, it was the extension that was causing it all along? Is it working normally now?

Andre Da Costa, Oct 2, 2016
  3. JayRL Win User
    Updated Windows 10. Now I constantly get the message "This app can't run on your PC".

Uninstalled and re-installed Chrome. Opened Chrome and I had to close the pop-up 22 times in the first tab, and it continues to pop-up.

JayRL, Oct 2, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Duncspur and welcome to Tenforums.

I assume this was due to an update? Try holding the Shift key down and click on the shutdown icon, selecting restart. This should get you into safe mode (eventually; you may have to go through a few clicks through advanced options to get there). Select safe mode for a reboot. Once in safe mode, turn off Fast Startup. Then restart and see if that doesn't fix things.

simrick, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Duncspur Win User
    Yup, it was due to an (automatic) update. I followed your instructions. Only once did it let me restart with any options but then it just hanged so I made a recovery USB and booted from that. That allowed me to return to an earlier point. I then rebooted back into Safe Mode and it went into Scanning and repairing Drive.Took several hours and several reboots but got there in the end!!

Thanks Simrick so much for your help,

Best,

Duncan

Duncspur, Oct 4, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Good news. Glad you got it sorted.
    I'll take this opportunity to make a suggestion:
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums

It's a life saver, and I highly recommend it.
    Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 updated - now can't get in - Similar Threads - updated can't

2. How to handle driver updates with Intune when one set of computers can't utilize Intune for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to handle driver updates with Intune when one set of computers can't utilize Intune for...: Hi,We just recently bought new devices from a new vendor. For these the recommended way to update drivers is via Intune WindowsUpdate. For the old units we can't use this, since it messes up things badly.So for our fleet we have disabled driver updates via Windows Update.Now...
  3. How to handle driver updates with Intune when one set of computers can't utilize Intune for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to handle driver updates with Intune when one set of computers can't utilize Intune for...: Hi,We just recently bought new devices from a new vendor. For these the recommended way to update drivers is via Intune WindowsUpdate. For the old units we can't use this, since it messes up things badly.So for our fleet we have disabled driver updates via Windows Update.Now...
  4. I installed an update and now have no WiFi. Can't find it no symbol, my 802.11n USB...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed an update and now have no WiFi. Can't find it no symbol, my 802.11n USB...: Wifi just disappeared after an update. It was working, I was working and then it dropped out and I cannot find WiFi to connect again.When I go into Network and internet - Get Help - Turn on WiFiNOTHINGI don't appear to have any airplane modes it is a desktop so not...
  5. I installed an update and now have no WiFi. Can't find it no symbol, my 802.11n USB...

I installed an update and now have no WiFi. Can't find it no symbol, my 802.11n USB...: Wifi just disappeared after an update. It was working, I was working and then it dropped out and I cannot find WiFi to connect again.When I go into Network and internet - Get Help - Turn on WiFiNOTHINGI don't appear to have any airplane modes it is a desktop so not...
  6. i downloaded updates from the setiings , but can't install them by restarting or shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i downloaded updates from the setiings , but can't install them by restarting or shutdown: i have tried most of the guides on internet but it isnot working . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-updates-from-the-setiings-but-cant/d7d918dc-bd70-4839-976e-13096e3bf16c
  7. i downloaded updates from the setiings , but can't install them by restarting or shutdown

i downloaded updates from the setiings , but can't install them by restarting or shutdown: i have tried most of the guides on internet but it isnot working . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-updates-from-the-setiings-but-cant/d7d918dc-bd70-4839-976e-13096e3bf16c
  8. i downloaded updates from the setiings , but can't install them by restarting or shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. After applying update, taskbar buttons are paired and can't be unpaired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After applying update, taskbar buttons are paired and can't be unpaired: I have a game that I run 2 characters on. The game is installed for one character in directory A and the second character in directory B; they are separate executables.Prior to the upgrade, I could run these and have my buttons on the taskbar separate from each other, making...
  10. After applying update, taskbar buttons are paired and can't be unpaired

After applying update, taskbar buttons are paired and can't be unpaired: I have a game that I run 2 characters on. The game is installed for one character in directory A and the second character in directory B; they are separate executables.Prior to the upgrade, I could run these and have my buttons on the taskbar separate from each other, making...