Windows 10: Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users

Discus and support Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 May 2020 Update and June 2020 cumulative updates are causing a host of problems yet again, with users reporting several issues including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 25, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users

Windows 10 May 2020 Update and June 2020 cumulative updates are causing a host of problems yet again, with users reporting several issues including problems with Google Chrome and desktop UI over the past few days.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update, also known as version 2004, has been in testing with Windows Insiders for around 15 months, but there are several issues in the update, many of which could break key features or prevent apps or drivers from working when you force the upgrade.

Microsoft last month outlined the issues with May 2020 Update in its support documentation, noting that each of these problems will be fixed or mitigated in a future cumulative update.

Microsoft initially acknowledged the following bugs:

• Bluetooth connectivity problems
    • Audio driver issues
    • Blue Screen of Death due to thunderbolt dock
    • Nvidia, Realtek and Intel driver issues
    • Compatibility issues when the variable refresh rate is plugged into an Intel integrated processing unit.

With recent cumulative updates, Microsoft says it has resolved or mitigated the following issues:

• DISM incorrectly report corruption status.
    • Unexpected restarts for Surface products and other devices using Always On, Always Connected feature.
    • Mouse input missing in apps and games that use GameInput Redistributable.
    • Print spooler bug, which broke down both network-based and software-based printers or printing features in apps, has been fixed.

According to reports, Windows 10 May 2020 Update and recent cumulative updates are also plagued with the following issues.

Windows Update drivers loop

Many users are reporting that their computer is stuck in a driver update installation loop after upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004.

“Windows Update trying to install Intel Corporation – Display – 26.20.100.7325 after being installed successfully. It ends up giving an update error saying a better driver is installed, but it’s trying to install the exact same one,” one user noted in the Feedback Hub.

Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users Windows-Update-error.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Reddit

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge reports of a driver bug causing installation loop. For now, it appears that you will need to manually block the particular driver update with ‘Show or hides’ troubleshooter tool.

To block a particular driver update, follow these steps:

• Download and launch “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter from Microsoft’s support page.
    • Click ‘Next’ to start checking for updates.
    • Click ‘Hide’ updates.
    • Check the box next to the Intel Corporation Driver update.
    • Click Next.

Close the tool and check for updates again. The driver package should disappear from the Windows Update page.

Chrome login

After installing Windows 10 version 2004 and June 2020 patch for Windows 10 version 1909, users are reporting that certain apps such as Google Chrome lose their saved passwords, extensions, cookies and credentials on every reboot.

Many folks have reported that these issues happen to them every time they close Google Chrome and restart Windows 10.

For example, one user noted that the update is breaking the authentication mechanism, while others claim that their cookies and extensions are also reset to the default values.

Those using Google Chrome also reported that they are being logged out of their account when they reboot their PC. This issue is also happening with OneDrive, Microsoft Edge, and even Battle.net for some users.

Fortunately, engineers from both Google and Microsoft are looking into the reports, and more details could be shared in the coming weeks.

For now, if you notice issues with Chrome or other apps where you need to authenticate your account, you should roll back to Windows 10 version 1909 and uninstall June 2020 Patch, and then pause the updates.

Optimize Drive tool broken

Many users have confirmed that Windows 10 May 2020 Update breaks down the Optimize Drive tool, which allows you to defrag your hard drives and optimize your SSDs.

The Optimize Drive tool, which is Windows 10’s built-in hard drive maintenance tool, typically operates in the background and also allows you to manually run scans to optimize the drives.

After Windows 10 version 2004, a lot of people reported that the tool is broken and it does not log the status or history of its scans.

As a result, if you open the tool, you’ll notice that no scans were done and it could warn you that your storage drive needs ‘optimization’, but in reality, the drive has already been optimized.

Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users Drive-Optimizer.jpg
    Before and after a system reboot

Fortunately, the drive optimization feature is still working in the background and you can confirm this in the Event Viewer tool.

It’s also worth noting that Windows Insiders had already reported the issue to Microsoft and the company fixed it in preview builds, but the bug somehow slipped into Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

Some users have also claimed that Optimize Drive tool optimize the SSDs more often after the May Update.

Microsoft is planning to fix these issues later this year.

Storage Spaces

Microsoft has acknowledged widely reported Storage Spaces issues in Windows 10 version 2004. According to Microsoft, some users might face issues when trying to access Storage Spaces after installing May 2020 Update on their systems.

The bug affects some configurations and those affected will see ‘RAW” under the partition in the Disk Manager tool. You’ll also get errors when you run ‘chkdsk’ command after upgrading to version 2004.

At the moment, Microsoft is not aware of any workaround and you should avoid upgrading to version 2004 if you use Storage Spaces.

Breaks desktop

Users have also reported that Windows 10 June 2020 patch for version 2004 is forcing the tablet mode interface on the normal desktop.

According to reports spotted on Reddit and Microsoft’s own forum, Windows 10 bug forces tablet mode even when the feature is turned off.

As a result, Search box would not appear on the taskbar and File Explorer will have more white space and gaps between icons or folders.

Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users File-Explorer-tablet-UI.jpg

To fix the issue, you need to turn off tablet optimization by navigating to Settings > System > Tablet.

In Tablet mode settings, click on ‘Change additional tablet settings’ and turn off all options under ‘When I’m not using tablet mode’.

Other problems

Many users have also reported other problems including Blue Screen of Death and performance issues after installing May 2020 Update.

We’ve listed some of the critical and widely reported issues above, but it’s likely that are other bugs as well.

Fortunately, Microsoft has confirmed that it won’t push the Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade to your system unless it’s safe and drivers are compatible.

The best thing you can do if you have any Windows 10 issues is to roll back to the previous version of the OS from Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Or you can also download ISO images of Windows 10 May 2020 Update and clean install the operating system.

If you don’t see the option to download and install Windows 10 version 2004 in Windows Update page, resist the urge and don’t use Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant to manually download it.

The post Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 25, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Jun 25, 2020
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Jun 25, 2020
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users - Similar Threads - updates are causing

2. Windows 10 KB5026361 May 2023 Update is causing issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5026361 May 2023 Update is causing issues for some users: Windows 10 KB5026361 (May 2023 Update) is a mess and causing many issues for some configurations. Several readers have contacted us to say they have been experiencing problems after installing Windows 10 May 2023 Update. According to reports, the latest Windows 10 update,...
  3. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major Issues With Windows 10 Update: I've tried what seems like everything and nothing has worked. My Windows REFUSES to update and I have no idea what could be wrong. When I run sfs scan it says I need to restart my pc so Ill do that but it just says it again after; It gives me this error notification when I...
  4. Windows 10 KB5005033 is causing new issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5005033 is causing new issues for some users: Windows 10’s default Alt-Tab functionality appears to be partially broken for some users after the release of two updates – July 2021 preview and August 2021 Patch Tuesday. While the July 2021 preview (KB5004296) was optional, KB5005033 (August 2021 update) is a mandatory...
  5. Windows 10 KB5004945 is causing major issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5004945 is causing major issues for some users: Microsoft recently started rolling out Windows 10 KB5004945 emergency update to fix the PrintNightmare bug, but it appears to be causing serious problems for the printers of some users out there, according to various reports on social media platforms and our forums....
  6. The latest Windows 10 update is causing new issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    The latest Windows 10 update is causing new issues for some users: The latest update for Windows 10 is reportedly causing issues with the system backup tool called ‘File History’ for a small subset of users. In addition to backup issues, users are also finding that the update breaks their webcam, crashes apps, and fails to install in some...
  7. Recent Windows 10 updates causing major usb issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recent Windows 10 updates causing major usb issues: Hi all, I have a Windows 10 Pro laptop and I recently installed some updates which, since then, have been causing major usb issues. I've had 2 USB flash drives and a USB external HD not work properly. In all 3 cases, when I try to copy data back and forth or, in the case of...
  8. Windows 10 KB4551762 causing major issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB4551762 causing major issues for some users: For most people, Windows 10’s latest update simply won’t be an issue. However, a number of users running Windows 10 KB4551762 found that their PCs appears to have slowed down and some have also noticed an abnormal hike in CPU/disk usage. Last week, details of a security...
  9. Janurary 2020 update causing major issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Janurary 2020 update causing major issues: After an update mid January my display started screwing up. I run a 165hz monitor and I never use to drop a single frame. After the update, when I loaded into a game the frame rates were dropping as low as 20 and for some reason my games resolution also changed to 1080p...
  10. Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.: Since the last major update a few weeks ago, my 1 year old computer that has NEVER had any of the following issues prior to this update is plagued by: Won't shut down properly. Hangs - Have to force shutdown with power button. Won't restart properly. Hangs - Have to...