Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am aware that this is not a new issue but I need to make my view known in this discussion. Given the security issues with windows 7 , I upgraded my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Thief2, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Thief2 Win User

Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.

I am aware that this is not a new issue but I need to make my view known in this discussion.

Given the security issues with windows 7 , I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 Pro version.

I spent some time getting the settings the way I need them for my use of the laptop.

I use the laptop to collect weather information and send it on to my website and various other weather systems and users.

So I turned off lots of features to strip down to a very basic system.

The laptop was on 24/7 and worked quite efficiently, although Win 10 is rather greedy with resources on old hardware.

Then, one morning I noticed that the data transfer had stopped in the night.

Further investigation showed that there had been an update major in the night and the final result was a reboot.

The effect of all this was that all the settings I had spent some time changing had reverted back and this included not logging out of the account among a long list of things.

You do not want to hear what I said when I found out!

My first action was to disable windows updates, effectively putting my laptop at risk of breaches, but saving valuable settings and data from being lost or manipulated.

I then started to investigate why this was happening, just on the Pro version of win 10, as I have the Home version on one of my main home computers and I have never had this problem!

The reason appears to be that I get to total control on updates on my home computer which is not running 24/7, but the laptop is running 24/7 unattended.

So, on the laptop, I am not aware or controlling update downloads or installs and more importantly reboots!

Funny that, as under windows 7 I had the control as to when I can install, but win 10 Pro does not give you that feature.

You can delay when this happens but not completely stop it from happening until you say it can!

I need the laptop to remain in use 24/7 , the account logged on permanently and updates downloaded but not applied unless I say so!

But, more importantly, the system settings I make should not be changed when updates are applied!!!

Who the hell are Microsoft to dictate how I use my paid for software!

They give you options as to how you wish to run the software, then ignore all of what you chose for the sake of updates being easier to handle!

I can hear the arguments now ....

"We want to make it easier to protect and update your software without the end user requiring expert knowledge."

That, in principal, is fine , but not at the cost of dictation on how you use the software.

:)

Thief2, Apr 19, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Apr 19, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Next Major Windows 10 Update Named "Spring Creators Update"

The next Windows 10 service pack major update has been named "Spring Creators Update." Windows Insider Program users toying with Build 17618 of the operating system spotted a listing of all the major updates of Windows 10 known to the build, when running "Get-VMHostSupportedVersion" in Power Shell. The last entry reads "Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803." The version number (1803 in this case), often coincides with the public release date of the update. The Fall Creators Update 1709, released in 2017-09 (September) to Insiders. Going by that convenion, Spring Creators Update could see a "branded" Insider preview build this month, 2018-03 (March), with a public release usually 3-4 weeks after, presumably before Summer kicks in.

Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings. pEBOXRTl55rNtJHh_thm.jpg

btarunr, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Windows 10 Slideshow causing major system lag

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the make and the model number of the system?

Which build version of Windows is installed on the computer?

This issue could be caused when the drivers are not up to date after a hardware changes, you can try the troubleshooting steps below so that we can narrow down to the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Update graphics driver.

1. I suggest you to
      update graphics drive from device manager
      and check, to find the graphics driver from device manager, you can expand the
      display adapters from the device manager.
    2. I would also suggest you to check if there are any other drivers with a yellow exclamation mark, if so, please update the specific drivers by following the steps provided in the article above.
    3. You can also try to put the system under
      High Performance and check if that helps you, do to that you can.

1. Click on Start and then
      Control Panel.
    2. From the list of displayed item under
      Control Panel click on Power Options, which takes you to
      Select a power plan page. If you do not see
      Power Options
      , type the word 'power' in the Search Control Panel
      box and then select Choose a power plan.
    3. By default, the option to change power plans is disabled. To enable this, click the
      Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
    4. Choose theHigh Performance
      option
    5. Close the Power Option
      window.

Method 2: Improve system performance.

If you still face the issue, I suggest you to follow the article on

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10
    and check if this helps you.

Disclaimer: The last step on this article contains the steps to
    Reset your PC, I suggest you not to perform that step, as it will wipe the data and application on your computer.

If you still need any further help, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings. - Similar Threads - Updates causing major

2. Updates Causing Major Problems Again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates Causing Major Problems Again?: A few weeks ago, a MS update caused crashes/freezes/slowdowns on my HP notebook. But yesterday's update 1/2/2023 caused far worse problems. I was cleaning and inspecting the notebook with Revo Uninstaller Pro tools and Windows tools which rarely cause serious issues....
  3. Updates Causing Major Problems Again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates Causing Major Problems Again?: A few weeks ago, a MS update caused crashes/freezes/slowdowns on my HP notebook. But yesterday's update 1/2/2023 caused far worse problems. I was cleaning and inspecting the notebook with Revo Uninstaller Pro tools and Windows tools which rarely cause serious issues....
  4. Updates Causing Major Problems Again?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 changes causes major problems with my computer "Ready to switch to linux"

Windows 10 changes causes major problems with my computer "Ready to switch to linux": I have a computer I built 11 years ago. It has a 1000 watt power supply, Core i7 980x with 24 gb of ram in an Asus Deluxe motherboard. I shut my computer down last night and when I turned it on this morning, it rebooted three times. On the third time it went into recovery...
  6. Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 updates are causing major issues for some users: Windows 10 May 2020 Update and June 2020 cumulative updates are causing a host of problems yet again, with users reporting several issues including problems with Google Chrome and desktop UI over the past few days. Windows 10 May 2020 Update, also known as version 2004, has...
  7. Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

in Windows 10 Customization
    Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More: Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 2004, a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either get changed or completely deleted. One I know right off of the top of my head are...
  8. Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings: Why is it exactly that every time Windows 10 has a "major update", all of my carefully set settings are wiped out and reset??? Let me first point out that this is NOT the same as some of the other posts on this site, where the system has created a copy of the profile...
  9. Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.

Windows 10 latest major update causing major restart, shutdown, and network issues.: Since the last major update a few weeks ago, my 1 year old computer that has NEVER had any of the following issues prior to this update is plagued by: Won't shut down properly. Hangs - Have to force shutdown with power button. Won't restart properly. Hangs - Have to...
  10. Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems: I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the update i cant get on Windows...