Windows 10: Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

Discus and support Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Copied the subject from an existing post. I'm having the same issue, but this site appears to lock issues after awhile. Too bad because that results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Guy Rouillier, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

Copied the subject from an existing post. I'm having the same issue, but this site appears to lock issues after awhile. Too bad because that results in dozens of questions all addressing the same topic. Here's the original post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-updates-change-my-boot-order-all-the/c0bea463-d4d9-457e-afea-abc8377b8e9c

I got a retail system with Windows 8, upgraded to 10, migrated to SSD - all fine for 4 years. Then the SSD died. In order to get Windows running on the hard drive again, I did a system reset, which put it back to Windows 8, so then I upgraded to 10 again, and migrated to a new SSD. I used the same software to migrate that I used 4 years ago. I have Windows and Linux on the SSD, set up to dual boot using the Linux boot manager Grub.

Unfortunately, this time, whenever I boot to Windows, it keeps adding entries to the EFI boot manager. It even finds and adds entries from the original hard disk installation. Eventually, I get a message saying something like "system not found", and none of the entries on the EFI Boot Manager screen will boot. If I keep retrying, the system won't even finish posting, and I can no longer get into the BIOS. If I pull out the CMOS battery, I can reset the EFI so the system will boot again. This is getting very tiresome.

Any way for me to tell Windows *not* to muck with the EFI boot system? If not, I'll just disable Windows altogether and only use Linux on this system.

Thanks.

:)

Guy Rouillier, Oct 31, 2019

2. Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

Indeed I have an SSD later added. I migrated the OS to this SSD with a boot manager.

But many people have done this; there must be millions around the world. It cannot be that they all have this problem or that Windows update is not feasible for all of these people!

Thanks for the suggested workaround, but that is not a solution. My SSD was already connected to the lowest numbered SATA port. I still did what you suggested, but to no avail. This time the update returned me to the BIOS with AGAIN the whole boot sequence
    mixed up - how can I prevent this? Then after me specifying the SSD boot manager, the update got further than ever but again ending into a totally stuck system. Then after several fruitless restarts, the systeem restores wiondiows to the pre-update stage.

Is there a real solution that really works? Windows 10 update should be able to cope with this!

Bertden Ouden, Oct 31, 2019
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time

Hi,

Boot order sequence depends on the location where you first installed the operating system. It will be the default every time the Windows will have an update. That's why every time the Windows install a new update, the boot sequence goes back to default.
    Do you have a SSD? If yes, you can try this workaround and see if it helps:

• Make sure your SSD is connected to the lowest numbered SATA port.
    • Boot into BIOS.
    • Set all the settings to default.
    • Save it and exit the BIOS settings.
    • Boot back into BIOS and see if the changes you made stuck.

If anything comes up, don't hesitate to get back to us anytime.

Anne Ros, Oct 31, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 Boot times issue

The two are linked as you've observed and as I mentioned.

What puzzles me is the change after the power outage, which would suggest some form of corruption, which does not seem the case.

The other thing that can cause slow boot times are certain updates. For example this update:
    KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - September 13 - Page 9 - Windows 10 Forums

So I'm now wondering if the change in boot time is actually unrelated to your power outage. Using WPR as @zinou suggests is then the next step.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 updates change my boot order all the time - Similar Threads - updates change boot

2. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows: 5 years later, from 2017, and still you, Microsoft lie to the faces of the world. You deliberately and illegally change our computers for spite and trying to monopolize the world with ONLY your windows 10 spyware built by the NSA for them to spy on the world. You have...
  3. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows: 5 years later, from 2017, and still you, Microsoft lie to the faces of the world. You deliberately and illegally change our computers for spite and trying to monopolize the world with ONLY your windows 10 spyware built by the NSA for them to spy on the world. You have...
  4. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. how to change boot order

how to change boot order: Hi, I currently have 2 bootable windows 10 hdds, 1 on C drive, 1 on E drive, currently when i restart the comp it boots into E: with C: as a secondary, however i want it to be the other way around boot to C: with E: as secondary. I tried swicthing the sata cables but it still...
  6. Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing Boot Order: I have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 installed on my Lenovo Legion Y7000 laptop. I useGRUB to choose which operating system to load when I start my computer. In the past 3 days however, Windows 10 has twice changed my BIOS boot order so that GRUB is skipped and the...
  7. How to change boot order in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change boot order in Windows 10 home: Can I use that script on Windows 10 home edition to boot from an external Windows 7 hard drive taken from my old laptop? I do not have the installation software for Windows 7, and it is in NTFS. It was a hard drive removed from my old Asus laptop with Windows 7 on it. I have...
  8. Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Order: Having found my way into the BIOS to change the boot order I am faced with 4 options. Which one do I select? I want the PC to call first on a USB Recovery Drive, created with Macrium Reflect. Should I go back to BIOS to make a note of the options and list them here, as I...
  9. Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update

Changed Boot order after Windows 10 update: Afternoon, On Sunday I switch off my PC and had an update and shutdown option which I did. I then went out for several hours. We had a broadband failure for several days but the computer was properly off when I came to reboot so assume the update had completed before this....
  10. boot order windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    boot order windows 10: Over the past week or so. I've run into a problem that the system on reboot hangs on loading the operating system. The fix for this issue is to boot the system and hitting the F12 key. This brings up the change boot order menu. Then you just tell it to boot from the first...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows changes boot order each time