Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft, I have been a user of Windows for decades since Windows 2 and even though I have had issues at times with Windows, I must say Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KenKrueger3, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release

Dear Microsoft,

I have been a user of Windows for decades since Windows 2 and even though I have had issues at times with Windows, I must say Windows 10 updates are the most frustrating experience I have had with Microsoft products. I have a new computer and today it wanted to do a batch of updates and it took 4 hours to download, and install, all the time taking between 17 and 50% of the total CPU time available. I usually turn off updates for some period of time to let the user community along with Microsoft testing work through issues before I install the updates. I had a laptop that I was using previously where Windows updates destroyed my user profile and as a result, I lost email archives for local Outlook mail folders. With that computer, I also had an update that made the WMI processes run-away and no matter where I looked for help, I could not discover what was causing it. It made the computer basically useless because it slowed it down to less than a crawl. I now have a new, quad core MSI computer which is blazingly fast, but as I said earlier, the amount of CPU time sucked up by the various Windows update processes is utterly ridiculous. I know I did not design Windows in any way, but why in heaven's name does it require so many processes to do 1 thing? The fact that there have been more times Windows 10 updates have broken software sub-systems and either corrupted and/or deleted data or in my case, my user profile on my older laptop. I have even had Window's change what I consider would normally be BIOS functions from the vendor, as an example one update disabled my ability to enable/disable my wife's touch pad on her laptop. There have been reports that Microsoft has reduced the Window's test team by at least 50%. Obviously, I do not know if that is true, but from the problems encountered by users, it seems to be true. Her is something to think about. If you really feel you are hurting for money from Windows 10 then I for one would not mind paying $10.00 a month for more care in testing. I also wonder about the wisdom of changing the user interface at the drop of a hat when users get used to it being one way. You could at least make it easier to have a traditional interface with a 1, or a 2 click setting without having to stand on one's head to do it. Please consider the user's experience and expectations of robustness in the future.

Sincerely,

Ken Krueger

:)

KenKrueger3, Feb 6, 2021

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Feb 6, 2021
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update Available for Download

Not sure about the games you listed but no probs with Dirt Rally and benching heavensward-bench here for me. I'm going to test 3DMark too in a few minutes.

DRDNA, Feb 6, 2021
  4. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release

1. Windows 10 Updates - Downloading, Installation, performance issues, and testing before release - Similar Threads - Updates Downloading Installation

2. Serious performance issues since updating to windows 11 2h22 update, was perfect before...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious performance issues since updating to windows 11 2h22 update, was perfect before...: Not sure where the live chat feature's gone so looks like I'll have to ask here.Since updating to windows 11 2h22 , I've had serious performance issues on all games, but one game I can't play at all which annoys me the most.Albeit, I don't have the best gaming laptop, but it...
  3. Serious performance issues since updating to windows 11 2h22 update, was perfect before...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious performance issues since updating to windows 11 2h22 update, was perfect before...: Not sure where the live chat feature's gone so looks like I'll have to ask here.Since updating to windows 11 2h22 , I've had serious performance issues on all games, but one game I can't play at all which annoys me the most.Albeit, I don't have the best gaming laptop, but it...
  4. Windows 10 KB5014023 released, install the update for performance and fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5014023 released, install the update for performance and fixes: Windows 10 KB5014023 is now available for users in the production channel as an optional update. The optional update doesn’t come with new features for the OS and it’s available via the Settings app. As always, you can download the offline installer of Windows 10 KB5014023 to...
  5. Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for AMD's Windows 11 performance issue: Microsoft released a new build to Beta and Release Preview Channels of the company's Windows 11 operating system a few hours ago. The patch includes a huge number of fixes for issues in Windows 11, including a fix for the L3 caching issue of AMD Ryzen processors that can...
  6. Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10: Following the release of March 2021 cumulative updates, users started reporting serious problems, including issues with certain printers and games. While the printer issue was immediately patched, Windows 10’s bug that resulted in performance issues somehow slipped into the...
  7. Do you test anything before releasing it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do you test anything before releasing it?: I have a brand new Alienware A51m. Thanks for FORCING the latest update and then all but bricking my system. The update got stuck for about 15 hours. Now it's stuck on the rollback. Your product sucks and you people are incompetent. There is no response needed and there...
  8. Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10: How to: Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10 How to Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10 Included in the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, the Windows Performance Toolkit consists of performance monitoring tools...
  9. Performance installation issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance installation issues: If this forum is setup similar to the Windows 8 forum, my laptop specs should appear as part of my signature. I come to this forum to help fix a few issues with my now upgraded version of Windows. Honestly, in the 20+ years I've owned pc's and laptops, after a Packard Bell I...
  10. Question before performing a clean installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question before performing a clean installation: I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or...