Windows 10: Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and...

Discus and support Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a good bit behind on my updates, perks of living in rural America with metered internet. I'm currently on version 1903 build 18362.535 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CoryHensarling, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and...

Hi, I'm a good bit behind on my updates, perks of living in rural America with metered internet.

I'm currently on version 1903 build 18362.535 Home version. My specs are custom, I built my computer a few years ago myself, but if you think it may be relevant I'll edit them in.

So the story goes as such, Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, crashes a bunch, I reach out to them and they say it's known stable on 1909 and newer. So I begin updating... except it keeps failing. I thought it was an internet issue so I tried at a friends house with broadband, kept failing.

Googled a bit, found that my error 0x80070002 means that the files either came through corrupted or it flat out missed a few.

Next I decided to clear my temp download files and try again. I did this by using DOS to stop all update services, rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 to get them out of the way, then starting update services again. Same error 0x80070002, over and over again. I followed this guide.

Then I went to work and downloaded the Media Creation Tool here and mounted it to a USB to try and repair or at least refresh my current installation. It also keeps failing. I believe this may be because it doesn't see anything to do, but I'm not sure how it's programmed.

So now I'm reaching out to the experts to find more insight and possible routes to get updated to at least 1909, though I'd like to get current with 20H2.

If there's nothing left to do I'm just going to wipe the drive and start over, I'm sick of it.

:)

CoryHensarling, Dec 23, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 23, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 23, 2020
  4. kalstrand Win User

Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and...

Windows update failing

Thanks for the help everyone. It worked to manually download and install the updates that were failing.

kalstrand, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and...

1. Windows 10 updates fail from the auto updates, manual updates, update assistant app, and... - Similar Threads - updates fail auto

2. windows 10 update failed, tried windows 10 update assistant, still failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 update failed, tried windows 10 update assistant, still failed: Hi thereMy computer has windows 10 update problem for a few months.My laptop is an old HP Probook 6560b with 8GB ram, 512GB SSDIt is running Windows 10 enterprise with insider program turned on.Yesterday I decided upgrading directly from W10 21H2 for x64-based Systems to...
  3. Updates failing - Win 10 Pro - Windows Update Assistant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates failing - Win 10 Pro - Windows Update Assistant: I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro that need updates. When I open updates, I see "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." Checking for updates takes a minute, then nothing happens - the message stays, and no updates are run. I downloaded and ran...
  4. Updates failing - Win 10 Pro - Windows Update Assistant

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates failing - Win 10 Pro - Windows Update Assistant: I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro that need updates. When I open updates, I see "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." Checking for updates takes a minute, then nothing happens - the message stays, and no updates are run. I downloaded and ran...
  5. Updates failing - Win 10 Pro - Windows Update Assistant

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 update failed using update assistant

Windows 10 update failed using update assistant: I had ran windows update reset and then used the Windows Update assistant tool to update my laptop.After I restarted it to update after some while it failed and then rollback-ed.C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log...
  7. Failed updates, failed attempts at manual update

Failed updates, failed attempts at manual update: Hi, I've been unable to download some updates. Manual updates have also not worked. BACKGROUND System - Windows 10 Pro 1909 - 64 bit Additional security program - Malwarebytes FAILED UPDATES 03/01/2020 – KB2267602 version 1.311.368.0 - error...
  8. Trying to update to 1903 with Windows 10 Update Assistant fail

Trying to update to 1903 with Windows 10 Update Assistant fail: I'd like to update to 1903 on my main desktop PC. I downloaded the Windows 10 Update Assistant and started the process. Eventually I get a message saying "You can't install windows on a USB flash drive using Setup." The thing is, there is no USB flash drive attached to the...
  9. Manual updates not applicable, please assist

Manual updates not applicable, please assist: I'm trying to update windows manually without internet on one of the PC's that do not have a broadband connection. Is there a way to go from 17 > 18 > 19 series updates without having to manually find each individual update? I've tried doing this and cannot find the exact...
  10. Win 10 Updates Auto Updates Failing

Win 10 Updates Auto Updates Failing: My computer build is 10.0. 17134 version 1803. My computer will not auto-update and initially starts to download the update then gives an error of 0x80070015 and then in the update history it shows an error of 0x80240034. With Microsoft remote control we have been through 3...