Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I recently reset my PC via the Recovery tab in Settings. I did this to skirt the Upgrade Repair feature since it was not working, and Resetting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bimmyLastname, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install

So I recently reset my PC via the Recovery tab in Settings. I did this to skirt the Upgrade Repair feature since it was not working, and Resetting seemed to be faster than performing a Clean Install of Win10. As far as I can tell, the reset fixed my initial issues with Windows. However, when I started downloading Windows Updates I ran into issues again. For the past day now I have been attempting to download and install the same few windows updates. They take forever to download and install, and as far as I can tell, they always fail. Here's what my screen looked like after starting an update last night about 8 hours ago:

Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install 80938de6-0131-4566-ba2a-f19ae6018e72?upload=true.png

So here's my question: did something go wrong in the reset phase? Should I just perform a clean install? Could this be hardware related?

:)

bimmyLastname, Jul 18, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jul 18, 2020
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jul 18, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install

1. Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install - Similar Threads - Updates failing taking

2. Updates taking too long to download and install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking too long to download and install: Split from this thread. Hello and thanks for all the good tips to fix windows 10.I want to figure out every second Tuesdays updates there are several different kinds of KB updates and my old windows 10 laptop it takes it like 2 hours to get all the KB file downloads then...
  3. Updates taking too long to download and install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking too long to download and install: Split from this thread. Hello and thanks for all the good tips to fix windows 10.I want to figure out every second Tuesdays updates there are several different kinds of KB updates and my old windows 10 laptop it takes it like 2 hours to get all the KB file downloads then...
  4. Updates taking too long to download and install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update takes long time.

Windows Update takes long time.: Hi, Following is the OS specification of my laptop : [ATTACH] The last time when I tried to update windows to perform the following similar update it took over 5 hours to complete and it was stuck at 52%, later on, I forced the system to go in sleep mode by pressing the...
  6. Windows update search take long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update search take long time: Hi, I have a problem since today, since the last windows 20H2 update. When I want to search an update the loading searching take a very long time (~25mn) and I have an error and I can clic on retry. I want to know if this is a known problem ? Thx submitted by /u/TheMagiiK...
  7. 2004 Update taking a long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 Update taking a long time: Hi all, I'm trying to update to version 2004 on my computer, but it failed the first few times I tried (I was playing games at the time). I'm doing the update now, but it's taken nearly 2 hours and it's still only 87% installing. Is there a reason it's taken so long? Thanks...
  8. It is taking a long time to download windows 10

It is taking a long time to download windows 10: I am downloading Windows 10 to my Mac to put it on a drive to plug into my new computer. I started it at 1 in the morning and it is only on 53 mb. What can I do to make it faster? It says it is going to take a week....
  9. Windows Update - Taking long time

Windows Update - Taking long time: Today, I have got the notification that your system is downloaded and ready to update latest version... Restart is required? I have agreed and clicked the Restart button. to my surprise - it took 03 hrs 45 mins to update the latest update..... I am not happy they way it...
  10. windows 10 update taking very long time

windows 10 update taking very long time: how to shut down computer and restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-taking-very-long-time/e43c1901-1157-4f38-a45b-24c602654244