Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 10240 RTM x64 Bit version running on my system, (Now running 32 bit version.) The issue is that windows 10 Updates fails to install.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Shadow Delta, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

I have Windows 10 10240 RTM x64 Bit version running on my system, (Now running 32 bit version.)
    The issue is that windows 10 Updates fails to install.

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts. [​IMG]

sfc /scannow and those things never worked for me in any windows version, since it always ends up giving an error or log file.
    I have tried using these two as well

But they also failed to solve the issue with the update. Any help on this matter would be great.
    The failing updates on 64 bit where. :
    The Failing/Failed updates in the 32 Bit version are :

The issue still remains even after reinstalling with different OS (x64/x86) versions.
    *Redface

20/09/2015 - Yet another Cumulative update failed to Install. And that goes into hiding mode.
    23/10/2015 - Same Issue / Updated list with the latest 'failed' update.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | 10/11/2015 - [Solved] Installed the latest build 10.0.5086 and that solved the issues. |
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Shadow Delta, Jul 26, 2015

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 fails to install after multiple attemps.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 fails to install after multiple attempts.

MICHELLEFREILINGER, Jul 26, 2015
  3. Windows can't install an update... (KB4090913)

My Windows 10 update history shows:

1. Update (KB4088776) has failed to install numerous times, error code 0x80240034

2. Update (KB4090913) (20) has either of two messages:

Requires a restart to finish installing, even though I have restarted and rebooted the PC multiple times

or

Last failed attempt on mm/dd/2018 - 0x80070bc2

What is the solution?

SteveDavidsonAB, Jul 26, 2015
  4. deepen915 Win User

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

exact same issue here! And it's those exact updates that won't install for me! This is frustrating! I tried uninstalling them and when I restart, I still get a loop of "Update failed, undoing changes" etc.

deepen915, Jul 26, 2015
  5. Sunain Win User
    I am experiencing the same issue and have also tried all the solutions I could find including the ones you listed. None of the security updates for Windows 10 10240 Pro will install. The Defender ones are the only ones that will install. I constantly get "Update failed, undoing changes" for all the patches. I've had no issues until 10240. I upgraded from Windows 7 to all the Fast Track Win10 builds with no issues.

Seriously considering reverting back to Windows 7 because I don't want an OS that won't install updates properly. If anyone has any suggestions other than sfc or DISM, which are the recommendations from MS Technet representatives to fix this issue, please let us know.

Sunain, Jul 26, 2015
  6. Though only i am getting these issue with these specific updates, and it sounds like something serious is wrong there which is preventing the updates from installing. Just hoping some one may have a fix to this issue..

7. Fafhrd Win User
    This is an old fix for a failed update blocking Windows Update, going back to Windows 7 - it may work for you.

First, stop Windows Update service:

Right click taskbar, click Task Manager, click more details, click services tab, click name until you can see wuauserv, right click wuauserv, click stop

Second, Clear the Windows Update History:

In the search box, click, then type %windir% <enter>, type s, then doubleclick SoftwareDistribution, doubleclick DataStore, rightclick DataStore.edb, rename, and change name to DataStore.edb.old<enter>, click yes

Third, restart Windows Update service:
    Click to open Task Manager again, right click wuauserv, click Restart - A new DataStore.edb will be created

Fourth, try windows update again
    Click Start, Settings, Update and security, Check for Updates - Windows Update should find missing updates and attempt to reinstall them.

Your update history should be cleared. (your successful updates will not be removed! They will be found in Programs and Features> Installed Updates. Windows Defender updated definitions go directly to Windows Defender and cannot be uninstalled. If you are having trouble just with Windows Defender definition updates, you can update them directly from the update tag in Windows Defender - it is often faster and less prone to failure than the Windows Updates route. This will not fix problems with Get Insider Builds.)

If you need to reinstate it, just follow the steps 1 and 2 , rename the DataStore.edb you created to something else, and rename DataStore.edb.old to DataStore.edb again.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

Checking for updates after following the steps, Will inform on the progress of the update process and whether this solves it or nope. Thank you for the suggestion.

[Update]
    The Trick didn't work.

The Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074681) which was available, failed to install. And the same story again..

9. Sunain Win User
    This is definitely an issue with Windows 10 Build 10240 as didn't have any issues with the previous builds.

Sunain, Jul 26, 2015
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Did any updates come through? Check Settings, Windows Update, Advanced Options, View your update history - If nothing has succeeded, go back and stop Windows update, delete the Datastore.edb and rename the old version back, restart WU.

Being a Preview version we cannot hide updates to block them in Windows 10 - this will be fixed - it better be!!

How can I hide that Update in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community Someone got a fix for a failed driver update there

OOPS! I missed this: Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums - Good old Shawn!

Using this download you can hide (and show again) updates that may be blocking on your system. Your problem may be something else though, but it will be useful to have if needed.

Otherwise I can only suggest a reset - if it was activated before, it should activate immediately after everything gets up and running. I had to reset this installation of 10240 because the start menu had no tiles, I will reset it again because the Insider is not working. I am going to need to reset my other 10240 because it takes about 5 minutes from boot to start. It's one of those things with prerelease software - it seems to work fine, until everything starts to fail.
    Apart from that everything's rosy :~

Keep moaning to Microsoft and upvoting other posts complaining about the similar problems with updates.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  11. I used the update hider first, It hide two updates then the others came in which failed to install. There were other Successfully installed updates, These listed above failed all the time. A Rest does not sounds quite like a fix. MS have to give a fix and solution to this issue.

12. Fafhrd Win User
    Just a thought - Turn off Avast and turn on Defender, and retry updates.

I agree a reset is not a fix - but remember this is preview software, bugs, warts and all, which you and I are helping Microsoft to make better.

Microsoft's fix will arrive with a new upgrade, and probably a new bunch of updates. Perhaps these failing updates that you have discovered will be withdrawn, and replaced by others which install without issue.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

I thought of Installing the update Manually, by going to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download". But the thing turned out to be a lot of .Manifest, .MMU and .cat files.

If i hide this update then the rest will show up, I will try hiding these listed updates and check what actually gets installed, Or of there are any ways to Manually updated all these files that will be fine, hopefully. will disable av and check as well.

Shadow Delta, Jul 27, 2015
  14. Reinstalled Windows 10 and that helped to push some updates to Install, but again the issue prevailed after installing some updates successfully :
    This time the "Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074683)"
    Failed to install.
    While it successfully installed :

Shadow Delta, Jul 27, 2015
  15. sammyh25 Win User
    Exact same issues for me as well....

sammyh25, Jul 27, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts.

1. Windows 10 Updates fails to install even after multiple attempts. - Similar Threads - Updates fails install

2. KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.: Hello.This update will not install after multiple attempts.: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913 Error 0x800f081fNote: KB4023057 installed successfully.Edition Windows 11 HomeVersion 22H2Installed on ‎20/‎09/‎2022OS build...
  3. KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.: Hello.This update will not install after multiple attempts.: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913 Error 0x800f081fNote: KB4023057 installed successfully.Edition Windows 11 HomeVersion 22H2Installed on ‎20/‎09/‎2022OS build...
  4. Cumulative Update will not install after several attempts not even with standalone installer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative Update will not install after several attempts not even with standalone installer: Computer has attempted to download and install Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5014668Error codes I've received:0x802480140x800700260x800f0988I've tried looking for processes and programs that could be trying to compete with this install and stopping...
  5. Cumulative Update will not install after several attempts not even with standalone installer

Cumulative Update will not install after several attempts not even with standalone installer: Computer has attempted to download and install Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5014668Error codes I've received:0x802480140x800700260x800f0988I've tried looking for processes and programs that could be trying to compete with this install and stopping...
  6. "l2tp connection attempt failed" even after KB5010793

"l2tp connection attempt failed" even after KB5010793: Hello, I'm having serious issues with VPN right now and it makes me impossible to work. After Windows Update, I can't connect to VPN anymore.The same issue happened before but I resolved it by manually remove KB5009543, but today that did not work after another forced update...
  7. Multiple attempts to update "Window 10 V 1909" failed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple attempts to update "Window 10 V 1909" failed.: I am running "Window 10 Home, Version 1909" on my Dell desktop XPS 8700. For last few times, installations of updates is failing. Now, I tried the following:Run update manually.Install Window version 21H1 Nothing is working! Now, on the update page, it is saying "Your device...
  8. Windows 10 updates fail even after fresh install.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 updates fail even after fresh install.: Basically my Lenovo Legion laptop could no longer receive major updates after 1903 or 1909, each time they'd fail to install so I figured I might as well do a fresh install of Windows and start clean. Lo and behold, the default installation I get with my retail USB version is...
  9. Update install attempts failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update install attempts failing: Hi, I have recently been unable to successfully install an update: 2018-07 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4338819). The error code comes up as 0x800f0922. For context, the update for 2018-06 cumulative update for windows 10 version...
  10. Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts: Since the Anniversary update was first released I have tried to install it every so often. My most recent attempt was last week, tried 3 times, but each time it failed when my laptop overheated and shut down during the process. But now the update no longer shows up when I...