Windows 10: Windows 10 updates locked up laptop

Discus and support Windows 10 updates locked up laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a laptop that is useless now, had to buy a new one to pay bills. Seems the last updates made the graphics incompatible so all I am able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lonestarfisher, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 updates locked up laptop

Hello,

I have a laptop that is useless now, had to buy a new one to pay bills. Seems the last updates made the graphics incompatible so all I am able to reach is the bios page. Luckily the December 5 updates were given me similar troubles so I backed up files on a separate drive. I fixed that problem by finding a Utube video instruction of typing a certain narrative in command prompt check disk.

Currently it only goes to bios, I cannot get to command prompt or repair options. I bought a repair thumb drive that loads if bios options are changed but again a grey screen prevents going further.

Needless to say I am livid that the fundamental operating system and developed by a powerhouse like Microsoft would cost me a new laptop. Since this unit was not too expensive, sending it to get repaired most likely is not smart.

Any instructions would be appreciated, I probably have tried all of them but help if you can.

:)

lonestarfisher, Jan 9, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 9, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 updates locked up laptop

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 updates locked up laptop

1. Windows 10 updates locked up laptop - Similar Threads - updates locked laptop

2. Locked out of laptop windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of laptop windows 10 update: My laptop made me change the password and since updating it the laptop won’t connect to internet. When I try to open it it says use another method but there is no other option than using my pin to open the laptop? I can’t get help as it won’t connect and says no networks...
  3. Locked out of laptop windows 10 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of laptop windows 10 update: My laptop made me change the password and since updating it the laptop won’t connect to internet. When I try to open it it says use another method but there is no other option than using my pin to open the laptop? I can’t get help as it won’t connect and says no networks...
  4. Locked out of laptop windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop Locks Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Locks Up: I have a one month old Dell Inspiron 17-3000 laptop that locks up after the display times out. It doesn't go to sleep because the fan continues to run. I have to press the reset button down until the laptop turns off and then power up again. The power setting for my screen...
  6. My laptop is locked up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop is locked up.: My computer started running real slow about 3 days ago and now I can get to the desktop screen but cannot open any apps. I can move the pointer around and click but the point just "buffers" if that's the right word to use. I was wonder if a Control Alt. shift could work to...
  7. Laptop keeps locking up on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop keeps locking up on Windows 10: I have a Lenovo T530 running windows 10 and it's locking up and the only thing that works is the mouse,i have to do a hard reset to get it to work.But i only works for a couple of minutes then locks up again.Please any help....
  8. Windows Update failed, now laptop is locked up...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update failed, now laptop is locked up...: Hello Folks, On Tuesday I opened my laptop and was greeted by "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC. The message stated my options, "advanced options" or "shutdown" and where to find the log file C:\Windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrails.txt. tried the advanced...
  9. locked up laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    locked up laptop: this started yesterday. i downloaded the ARK Dev Kit but when i tried to install i recieved this message, "the system admin has set policies to prevent this installation". i attempted some surface quick fixes. ie: turn off antivirus. did not help. eventually i ran this line...
  10. Dell laptop locks up

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell laptop locks up: I have a Dell E6500 which locks up when left idle for some period of time. This computer was sold new with Vista. When I bought it used it came with Windows 7 Professional. I have since upgraded it to Windows 10 Professional. I have had this problem running both 7...