Windows 10: Windows 10 updates might fail to install but there’s a workaround

Discus and support Windows 10 updates might fail to install but there’s a workaround in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you’ve been encountering issues during the installation of the Windows 10 cumulative updates, you’re not alone. Over the past few months, several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 17, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 updates might fail to install but there’s a workaround

If you’ve been encountering issues during the installation of the Windows 10 cumulative updates, you’re not alone. Over the past few months, several users have reported on forums that Windows 10 updates including the important Patch Tuesday releases and optional updates are failing to install.

Windows 10 KB4524570, which is the latest Patch Tuesday update, could also fail to install on PCs with May 2019 Update and November 2019 Update. Users have reported on Microsoft’s community forum that they’re currently unable to install this patch and seeing error codes such as 0x80073701 and 0x8009001d.

It’s worth noting that Microsoft acknowledged Windows 10 installation error in late May 2019 and the company reportedly developed a fix. According to the support doc, Microsoft resolved the installation issue on November 12 but some users might still experience issues.

“Installation of updates may fail and you may receive the error message, “Updates Failed, There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later” or “Error 0x80073701″ on the Windows Update dialog or within Update history,” the firm noted.

“This issue has been resolved for most users,” Microsoft noted. For those who are still having issues, Microsoft has posted a workaround guide a few days ago and the company has provided the following set of advice:

• Open Start Menu or Search, and type ‘cmd’ to open Command Prompt.
    • Run Command Prompt as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, copy and paste the following command:
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    • Wait for a few minutes and restart the system
    • Check for updates again.

It’s not clear if these issues are affecting a lot of users right now, but the problem is marked resolved and it’s possible that the firm might not fix it.

If you’re still having such issues, it might be a good idea to reinstall Windows 10 or wait until a proper fix is deployed.

The post Windows 10 updates might fail to install but there’s a workaround appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 17, 2019
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Nov 17, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 updates might fail to install but there’s a workaround - Similar Threads - updates might fail

2. Failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. Any suggestions on workarounds?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. Any suggestions on workarounds?: Dear experts community,Cx reported that they failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. In fact, they found that it is required to install KB5004748 first before KB5005624. And when installing KB5004748, it keeps rolling back the update after completion, and then...
  3. Failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. Any suggestions on workarounds?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. Any suggestions on workarounds?: Dear experts community,Cx reported that they failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. In fact, they found that it is required to install KB5004748 first before KB5005624. And when installing KB5004748, it keeps rolling back the update after completion, and then...
  4. Failed to install KB5005624 for Win 10 version 1909. Any suggestions on workarounds?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Update failing to install

Windows 10 Update failing to install: I have tried to update Windows 10 to version 20H2 multiple times now and it keeps failing. I've got a few different error codes mainly 0x80242016 and 0xc1900101, but no matter what I do, nothing works.I've tried dism /online /checkhealth, scanhealth, restorehealthI've tried...
  6. Windows 10 Update failing to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update failing to install: I have tried to update Windows 10 to version 20H2 multiple times now and it keeps failing. I've got a few different error codes mainly 0x80242016 and 0xc1900101, but no matter what I do, nothing works.I've tried dism /online /checkhealth, scanhealth, restorehealthI've tried...
  7. Windows 10 updates fail to install

Windows 10 updates fail to install: Have tried for months and keep getting same old **** message Error code OX8007003. The last update i tried started and i let the computer stay on for over 45 minutes and had to shut it down manually . Looks like we need a new version. DVD drive will not format my disc. any...
  8. Installation of Windows 10 update failed.

Installation of Windows 10 update failed.: The Windows 10 update was installed earlier today. The computer was unable to restart afterwards. I don't have a recovery file. What to try next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-of-windows-10-update-failed/d1066651-30a7-42f8-b63a-14446662294e
  9. Windows 10 update install failed.

Windows 10 update install failed.: Windows 10 update was installed today. Computer could not restart afterwards. I don't have a recovery file. I tried doing a re-install. That is failing to complete. What to try next?...
  10. Windows 10 install fails - a recent hardware or software change might be the cause

Windows 10 install fails - a recent hardware or software change might be the cause: I had a ten year old computer running Windows 7. It had a 240gb SSD with win 7 and all other applications on it, and a 1Tb hdd for data that is now full. I upgraded it by replacing the motherboard, processor, ram, gpu, and adding an additional 2Tb hdd. I have a retail...