Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates Take Forever! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 on Panasonic CF-C2 laptops. When it comes to updates, they are taking FOREVER to install - 20 to 30 minutes. Is anyone experiencing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LindaS254, Jan 12, 2017.

1. LindaS254 Win User

Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

Running Windows 10 on Panasonic CF-C2 laptops. When it comes to updates, they are taking FOREVER to install - 20 to 30 minutes. Is anyone experiencing the updates taking this long....my users are screaming because time is money and updates are just taking too long. I am not seeing any failed installs, nothing in event log. Thanks.

:)

LindaS254, Jan 12, 2017

2. Windows Updates - Super slow search & download time!

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 when I go to the updates section and do a manual check, it takes forever to search and if it finds some updates it also takes forever to download them. Is it just me or everyone has this problem?

Θέμης-CDT, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 update takes forever

perform the following tasks:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1709)

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 99% disconnect from the Internet
    LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1709 using ISO
    File from Versions 1507, 1511, 1607 and 1703

Andre Da Costa, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

Welcome to the TenForums

Yes it took a long time, a cumulative patch, KB3213986 was released on January 10th. It was almost 1GB in size and the installation process for this individual update was long.

You've likely seen all this information before

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    It took forever on my laptop too, It's getting very frustrating to run Windows 10.

That TenForums tutorial was from 2015 not sure if it's relevant now that Win 10 has dramatically changed about 4 times since that post, My guess is it will not work now.

sml156, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Wullail Win User
    The cumulative updates are getting HUGE , updated 3 PCs and 1 laptop so far , they all took absolutely AGES.

If you get 'windows update minitool' , you can use the selection box at the bottom to set the update process to 'notify only' or 'download only' for windows itself easily , even if you don't want to use the program itself to do the updates.

Wullail, Jan 12, 2017
  7. sml156 Win User
    I don't really notice the size of the downloads, It's the waiting after I press restart that bugs me. My laptop is not the best in the world but it is pretty quick.

I use my Win 10 desktop computer as my media center for cable TV and my video collection that has not updated itself this month yet.

If I have to install my TV tuner drivers and Kodi and Windows Media Center and my Antivirus software (again) which takes most of the day I will end up just blocking Windows update servers on my router for the next 6 month's or so.

sml156, Jan 12, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

Try to perform a system cleanup time to time, plus software like CCleaner/Wise Cleaner. I use WC.bat (as admin).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option2

The downloaded size depends on the number of updates, you have installed previously, but it is still more than ever.

TairikuOkami, Jan 12, 2017
  9. For these large updates, to cut down time, I down load from catalog. I then stop Windows Update service and launch installer. The actual update process is not faster but I can go from device to device and no waiting to download or internal transfers.

I really feel the update process has to be thought through again. Many of us have what I can only call "Real High Speed". I work with people living in a far more rural environment where 2 and 3 Mbps is norm. 1GB downloads can take an eternity and if they fail the trouble shooter often comes back with the suggestion to download again.

The TenForum tutorial is still effective. Metered connections for one is a quick way to get control on wireless laptops.

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2017
  10. LindaS254 Win User
    Thanks everyone. At least I know it is not just my laptops. I don't know what Microsoft is thinking! This is not conductive to a business environment anymore. I am looking to replace my primary application with one that runs on iOS. Between this, and Microsoft taking control away from Pro users, forcing Enterprise, it seems Microsoft is anti-small business.

LindaS254, Jan 13, 2017
  11. If you are running Pro or Enterprise (top of the food chain) then you have several more options for control / total control. I would start a new thread and ask for suggestions on developing a process. You are always going to fight users, I know I ran a very large group. They have to cooperate and most say no.

Take this most recent experience. Had they restarted their machine at lunch, when they headed to a meeting or when the got home then this would have not been an issue. The machine just didn't download and force a restart, if it did then the "Active Hours" need to be adjusted.

Good luck, the users are your customers and they are your worst nightmare.

Caledon Ken, Jan 13, 2017
  12. Jayzee Win User
    Have you tried removing anything that were attached on your computer/laptop like the mouse? I have read from other blogs about the mouse attached during the update, especially the logitech wireless mouse, which causes the slow installing. Once they removed it the update works seemless and back to little less than 45mins update. Hope this will help.

Jayzee, Feb 1, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

Totally agree on Windows update being a frustrating experience. We have two machines and on the more powerful machine it can be anything between ten mins to thirty mins plus a lot of nail biting whilst it happens! Our flimsy BRIX box can take an hour ! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if updates weren't shoved so regularly but MS pushes a lot down the pipe. Ok the last one was about 3 weeks ago but there is another about to hit us very soon which is in release preview. Personally I don't care for the relentless pace of updates none of which seem to make much difference with glaring bugs remaining unfixed through releases. I could definetely live without the frequency of them, many like them and embrace them - I think they are intrusive and a pain, jolting productivity and causing concern as to what they might break or how they could possibly unsettle what was an otherwise well functioning system before the dreaded 'update'

Scottyboy99, Feb 2, 2017
  14. dkriz Win User
    A simple feature that would make life much, much easier for most of us humble Windows 10 users would be receiving simply a message informing us OF THE SIZE of the update to be downloaded / installed. If we the humble users would KNOW the size of an update about to be downloaded / installed, we could plan around it, including attaching ourselves to a larger pipe if need be to get the update downloaded faster. IF WE HAVE NO IDEA how large the update is, WE CAN'T PLAN ...

Consider an analogy ... in recent years the U.S. Dept of Transportation has installed message boards along the nation's highways to inform users of the time required to get to various locations downstream from the sign. While not perfect, this allows most drivers to adapt to the conditions at hand. NOT KNOWING if a traffic tie-up was only a 1/4 mile long or ten miles long previously added to frustration. I believe that informing users that a particular update will be 10 GB as opposed to 10 MB would greatly improve user satisfaction ...

Otherwise, Windows Corp would continue to be hated for being like the "Phone Company" of Lily Tomlin / Laugh-in infamy:

"We don't care, we don't have to. We're the Phone Company" ;-)
    -- Lily Tomlin

dkriz, Mar 20, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    There's some info in the KB article for each update...

March 20, 2017—KB4015438 (OS Build 14393.969)

Thema:

Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

1. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever! - Similar Threads - Updates Forever

2. how to stop windows updates forever?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to stop windows updates forever?: I am annoyed by windows trying to update every so often when I do not want a update. I am sticking with windows 10. Add an option to remove updates please....
  3. how to stop windows updates forever?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop windows updates forever?: I am annoyed by windows trying to update every so often when I do not want a update. I am sticking with windows 10. Add an option to remove updates please....
  4. how to stop windows updates forever?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep...: Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep your laptop on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-my-microsoft-surface-notebook-is-forever/877a34a7-b9ba-4cad-9de0-fb7d5007c09e
  6. Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep...

Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep...: Hello my microsoft surface notebook is forever stuck on updates are underway. Please keep your laptop on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-my-microsoft-surface-notebook-is-forever/877a34a7-b9ba-4cad-9de0-fb7d5007c09e
  7. How to stop Windows 11 updates forever?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 updates forever?: I've noticed there is no option to stop windows updates: There is only a nonsensical pause option. Even though I set updates to OFF it still updates after some time which is totally not what I need. The thing is my hard ware is really old and I can't risk new updates like the...
  8. How to stop Windows 11 updates forever?

How to stop Windows 11 updates forever?: I've noticed there is no option to stop windows updates: There is only a nonsensical pause option. Even though I set updates to OFF it still updates after some time which is totally not what I need. The thing is my hard ware is really old and I can't risk new updates like the...
  9. Windows 10 22H2 update taking forever after fresh reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 22H2 update taking forever after fresh reinstall: I have recently reinstalled windows 10 because of performance issues. Because the first version of windows doesn't have dark theme for native apps, I decided to update. All of them worked, besides 22H2, which took 3 hours to get to 85%, when it got stuck. I've used command...
  10. Windows 10 22H2 update taking forever after fresh reinstall

Windows 10 22H2 update taking forever after fresh reinstall: I have recently reinstalled windows 10 because of performance issues. Because the first version of windows doesn't have dark theme for native apps, I decided to update. All of them worked, besides 22H2, which took 3 hours to get to 85%, when it got stuck. I've used command...