Windows 10: Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Updates often trash my Desktop Layout. Everything is still there but it is completely re-arranged. This is particularly annoying when I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Blogman, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Blogman Win User

Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop

Windows 10 Updates often trash my Desktop Layout. Everything is still there but it is completely re-arranged. This is particularly annoying when I have allowed the desktop to accumulate too much crap but still have all the important, frequently used stuff in discrete, easy to locate areas.

This should not happen but it does and is unlikely to stop or even be recognized as an issue. Is there any way to back up just the Desktop Layout including the positioning of the icons on the desktop and then restore them? I would like to back up my "clean desktop" after I have done a house cleaning and be able to use it as restore point when Windows Update has trashed my desktop...

:)

Blogman, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Blogman Win User

Windows 10 Updates often trash my Desktop Layout. Everything is still there but it is completely re-arranged. This is particularly annoying when I have allowed the desktop to accumulate too much crap but still
    have all the important, frequently used stuff in discrete, easy to locate areas.

This should not happen but it does and is unlikely to stop or even be recognized as an issue. Is there any way to back up just the Desktop Layout including the positioning of the icons on the desktop and then
    restore them? I would like to back up my "clean desktop" after I have done a house cleaning and be able to use it as restore point when Windows Update has trashed my desktop...

Blogman, Jan 10, 2020
  3. yountmg Win User
    Cumulative Update KB4338819 Windows 10 v1803 Build 17134.165 - July 10

This update totally destroyed me, which was not totally unexpected.

I have noticed that update issues are fairly common occurrences.

Microsoft must have a site that lists step by step actions that they want you to take when Windows 10 Updates and trashes a system?

Does such a site exist? Where do I go to get help?

Recovering Windows 10 After an Update

Step 1:
    sfc /scannow

Step 2:
    Dism

Step 3:
    etc.. Uninstall Video Drivers and reinstall

yountmg, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop - Similar Threads - Updates Trash Desktop

2. This trash update broke my microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This trash update broke my microphone: This new windows update broke my microphone. Last night I closed my computer and had no other option than first downloading the update and then shutting it down. I did that and today my microphone is broken. The log said something about a realtek update I didn't understand at...
  3. HELP GETTING TRASH FOLDER BACK ON DESKTOP WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP GETTING TRASH FOLDER BACK ON DESKTOP WINDOWS 10: 06/14/2022Dear Forum:I somehow lost my trash folder on my desktop. No matter what I do, I can't get it back. I went to settings, and themes, then desktop icon settings. I checked the box for recycle bin. But when I return to the desktop, my recycle folder trash never...
  4. Remove desktop trash bin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove desktop trash bin: Is there some way to remove the trash bin from the desktop and add a shortcut of it to quick access? submitted by /u/Sir_Axolot12345 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ip4urv/remove_desktop_trash_bin/
  5. Windows 10 update TRASHED my desktop computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update TRASHED my desktop computer: I attempted to update my desktop computer a week ago and it kept failing. I ended up on a blue screen and managed to uninstall the update and recover. I then ran AVG utilities to clean up my Registry, CheckDisk and Defrag. Backed up my documents to my laptop, I made a System...
  6. Windows 10 is trash

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 is trash: **** you Microsoft Windows 10 is trash. Fix your god dam operating system. Companies need to Start supporting Linux so I can stop using your trash OS. I should not have **** problems with your **** OS crashing all the **** time. Biggest **** problem is your **** drivers...
  7. Windows 10 Update Trashed my Internet Speed

Windows 10 Update Trashed my Internet Speed: My PC updated Windows 10 last night and immediately my internet speed on my PC has dropped to the point it is unusable. The speed on my IPAD and Phone are fine, Just the PC the updated I think to 1909. HELP!!!...
  8. Windows Update trashed my Laptop AGAIN

Windows Update trashed my Laptop AGAIN: ONCE AGAIN !!! Windows have forced a update onto my Toshiba Satillite A200 laptop and now the built in LAN will not work due to the crappy driver Microsoft insists is the correct one for the machine. I know the A200 is a very old laptop by todays standards but it is a well...
  9. Recent Windows 10 Update trashed my computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recent Windows 10 Update trashed my computer: I am pissed! yesterday(feb 23, 2019) my Win10 Home system began an update on it's own. OK So I let it go. Iwas working on my Win7 system while this was updating. Some time later I glanced over at it's progress and saw something I had never seen before. It said that the update...
  10. Windows 10 November Update Trashed My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 November Update Trashed My Computer: This morning I received the November Windows 10 update. At the point it says it is installing new features and drivers it gives me an error message that Windows encountered a problem. It then reverts me back to my previous version of Windows. When I sign back to my account...