Windows 10: Windows 10 updates will not find updates!

Discus and support Windows 10 updates will not find updates! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have done 3 clean installs. It said it found 221 updates when I first checked, resatarted and it says I have only 6 updates installed and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mike6623, May 9, 2016.

1. mike6623 Win User

Windows 10 updates will not find updates!

I have done 3 clean installs. It said it found 221 updates when I first checked, resatarted and it says I have only 6 updates installed and when I check for updates it says I am up to date, which I cannot be, with only 6 updates!!!

Troubleshooter said it couldn't find anything. I have went through multiple steps that include stopping Windows update service and restarting, deleting Software distribution, etc. NOTHING works, at all. This is crazy. I went from 8.1 to 10 and it checks and says I am up to date, but I am not, I only have a few updates. What the hell is going on? Is there NO Way I can download the latest updates to a disk and install that way? Not one "fixit" actually fixes anything and the trouble shooter is worthless too! It is a Dell Inspiron 4gb RAM 64 bit. This is nuts and I have never had this issue, for this long. It literally checked for updates for 3 days and nothing. Now it checks and says I am up to day, with only 6 updates installed

I tried this
    net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

I did a complete re-install, then a reset, nothing I am still getting the service registration missing or corrupt. I have stopped and restarted the services, made sure they are automatics, etc. What the hell is going on!!

:)

mike6623, May 9, 2016

2. Cortana is lazy, doesn't like to work:

• I told her to finish all the **** my boss told me to do on the computer. Just like in Star Trek.
    • I fell over a few times being total in intoxicated from my short lunch.
    • Not anymore. I through the machine out the window.

Updates Bite, May 9, 2016
  3. Cortana is lazy, doesn't like to work:

I told Cortana to finish all my work as I was going to the local pub for lunch. When I returned 5 hours later, the work was not done at all. What gives?

Updates Bite, May 9, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Which version of Win10? Hold down the Windows key and press R, type winver then press Enter. It will give the version number to be posted.

Berton, May 9, 2016
  5. Microsoft upgrades existing updates, so it replaces them instead. I have 5+2 updates.
    Small updates and drivers are not listed as installed updates. So do not worry about it.

TairikuOkami, May 9, 2016
  6. roblinb Win User
    While this is true (they do cumulative updates) he needs to check the KB article to find out when the patches that he did get were released. To tell him to not worry about it, isn't really the greatest advice. Obviously this concerns him, and rightfully so.

Mike I hear you, I had a similar problem with one installation out of the six that I've done. I think I downloaded the Windows update troubleshooter after doing similar things to what you've without a doubt already done. Yeah I think I renamed that stupid software distribution folder to .old around fifty times lol... good times. Anyways, just keep struggling away and you'll get it to work. I'd try the troubleshooter

roblinb, May 9, 2016
  7. If there would be a problem, checking for Windows updates would fail and report an error.
    But you are right, checking KB, if the latest updates are actually installed, is a good idea.

TairikuOkami, May 9, 2016
  8. roblinb Win User

Yeah, and also winver is arguably the best way to know, as Berton said above.

roblinb, May 9, 2016
  9. mike6623 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro

mike6623, May 10, 2016
  10. mike6623 Win User
    Thanks.....but what does this have to do with my question? I didn't get an "answer" out of this, just what issue you are having.

mike6623, May 10, 2016
  11. mike6623 Win User
    Yeah, I do not know how many times I need to try that, delete the download contents in SOftaware distribution, rename, etc. Why would the service registration be missing upon every single clean install, and reset? I have re-burned the ISO, tried from USB, etc.

mike6623, May 10, 2016
  12. mike6623 Win User
    It makes no sense. The last clean install I did (the third one) it found 221 updates, but then once it restarted it "rolled them back" and I was never able to "find" them again. Is there no way to download the latest updates to a drive or something, and install that way? I tried the offline updater but once it is complete I have no idea how to actually get the downloaded updates to install!

mike6623, May 10, 2016
  13. mike6623 Win User

Not to mention, when I am on another compter and go to microsoft.com/en-us/download there is a "windows update" option, but when I am on the windows 10 laptop that WILL STILL NOT UPDATE, that option isn't there. What the hell is going on? This is after an entirely fresh install...AGIAN

And Now I cannot rename the softwaredistribution folder. The service is stopped (windows update) and it says it is open in another program. Why Why why why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike6623, May 10, 2016
  14. Berton Win User
    But there are some numbers on that panel that give the exact version of Win10 such as 1511 AND 10586.222, etc.

Berton, May 10, 2016
  15. mike6623 Win User
    Sorry man, Win 10 pro 1511 OS build 10586.104

mike6623, May 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 updates will not find updates! - Similar Threads - updates find updates

2. Windows 10 cannot find updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot find updates: Windows 10 cannot find updates Hi, I haven't been able to do any Windows updates for month. I really have no idea what the problem is. Especially since I have not changed the system in any way, removed relevant files, or installed programs that interfere with the system....
  3. Windows 10 cannot find updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot find updates: Windows 10 cannot find updates Hi, I haven't been able to do any Windows updates for month. I really have no idea what the problem is. Especially since I have not changed the system in any way, removed relevant files, or installed programs that interfere with the system....
  4. Windows 10 cannot find updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 can't find updates

Windows 10 can't find updates: Dear support I really need help. I haven't been able to do any windows updates for months now and simultaneously can't see any internet-connection when logged in to an account. I've tried all the described steps in this thread twice:...
  6. Can not find Windows 10 October update in Windows update

Can not find Windows 10 October update in Windows update: Hello, I am Parsa, Windows 10 20H2 cumulative update was released last week, but unfortunately I cannot see any updates in Windows update settings yet and there is just a "You're up to date" message. I have also checked my device combability for 20H2 version, but there is...
  7. Windows update does not find updates

Windows update does not find updates: Windows update stays in search mode. The 3 dots keep going across the screen but nothing else. Desktop Windows 10 home version 2004 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-does-not-find-updates/ead811f4-93c7-42ff-9f06-974452a36b3a
  8. Windows 10 Update don't find any new updates

Windows 10 Update don't find any new updates: I have bought a Lenovo T430 with Windows 10/1511 (10586.1176) Pro. Unfortunately Windows update does not find any new updates. Other update like Office and virus defender are updated. Pls advice....
  9. Windows Update not finds update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update not finds update: Hi, today I'm returned into Insider's Program but Windows Update not finds any update. If I open the app "Hub Insider" it shows me that I have the build "th1 10240 Professional". I tried to reset Windows Update, I tried to change by slow to fast ring and vice verse but...
  10. Windows 10 Enterprise - Windows Update Can't Find Update 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Enterprise - Windows Update Can't Find Update 1511: My computer is running Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows Update refuses to download and install the version 1511 update. I've tried to press "Search for updates" multiple times, but it still keeps telling me that it's updated. The last update (apart from Windows Defender...