Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a bit of a major and odd problem with my new Windows 10 install. I have an appointment to talk to a tier 2 person at Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FLIB1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. FLIB1 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

Hello everyone. I have a bit of a major and odd problem with my new Windows 10 install.

I have an appointment to talk to a tier 2 person at Microsoft tomorrow, but I'd like to ask for opinions here as well please.

So, I'll try and keep it brief.

I had Windows 7. Support expired so I installed Windows 10 and clicked the option to keep all my files etc.

Windows 10 installed, computer restarted.

When I comes back on, I move all my pictures/documents/music from their old folders to the new empty ones under my profile. I download the picture I used to have as a wallpaper to my new download folder and set it as the wallpaper.

Oddly, the calculator doesn't work from the program menu. I assume it's perhaps not compatible with the new system and, as it's late, decide to leave it until today and shut it down.

Boot it up today and my profile wallpaper screen is black. Try to change it to the picture I downloaded last night. No option to select a picture, only solid colours.

Odd I think. Try calculator, that now works yay! I guess.

Go back to wallpaper.

Look in Download folder, nothing in there.

Look in Pictures folder, nothing in there.

Look in Music folder, nothing in there.

Look in Documents folder, nothing in there.

Basically, everything I'd moved across the previous night had gone. Although, instead of the folders being completely empty, there was a 'sample folder' there instead.

Upsettingly, all the files had also gone from the original folders I moved them from.

So, my question is, where did they go?

Have they been overwritten by something else?

How can I find where they are or what's happened to them?

They're not hidden and they're not deleted according to Recuva, so what's happened to them?

There's no back up to these now as I moved the files from the back up to the new folders.

I can't go back to a saved restore point as it says there isn't one although I did create several under Windows 7.

And, last thing, when I moved them to their new folders I did check that they worked by opening files from their new locations and everything seemed fine.

Please, if you have any answers, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

FLIB1, Jan 20, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Will Documents, Music & Pictures be included in the upgrade?

I am wondering if my documents, my music & pictures will be automatically saved when I upgrade to Windows 10?

KrisKing0687, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

upgraded to windows 10 and all my files, pictures and music are gone!

Recently upgraded to windows 10 and even though it said all of my files wouldn't be lost they are now gone! pictures, music, images all gone. I checked the C drive and there's nothing there. please help!

charlesarroyo1, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

1. Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone. - Similar Threads - upgrade pictures documents

2. All my documents and pictures are gone???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my documents and pictures are gone???: I got into my computer and all my pictures are gone, all the files, everything. I contacted Windows support and they remoted into my computer and couldn't find anything??? NO PICTURES???? Any ideas what to do, how I can get them back if at all? Hundreds of pictures from years...
  3. All my documents and pictures are gone???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my documents and pictures are gone???: I got into my computer and all my pictures are gone, all the files, everything. I contacted Windows support and they remoted into my computer and couldn't find anything??? NO PICTURES???? Any ideas what to do, how I can get them back if at all? Hundreds of pictures from years...
  4. After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared.: After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared. I restored these files using an external hard drive backup. Today the same thing happened again. Windows 10 started up with a sign in error. It then proceeded to open with all my documents...
  5. After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared.: After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared. I restored these files using an external hard drive backup. Today the same thing happened again. Windows 10 started up with a sign in error. It then proceeded to open with all my documents...
  6. After windows 10 sign on error, all my documents, pictures, music, etc. disappeared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Lost music, picture, documents, etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost music, picture, documents, etc.: Went to work on my computer, but when I turned it on, I found an error stating I needed a disk to hard boot it! I was able to get to order of start up and got the computer to work, and everything was there 10 days ago. Yesterday, it was gone...everything. All the folders were...
  8. All music, pictures and documents have disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

All music, pictures and documents have disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade: Hi I seem to have lost all my files after what appears to have been an automatic update. I have attempted to revert to an older version of windows, however, it is claimed that it was installed on 2020/11/14 which is over the 10 day limited; and yet all my programs and...
  9. All content of My documents Pictures Music and Videos just disappeared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All content of My documents Pictures Music and Videos just disappeared.: It just happened. Not even after updates. The same problem people have been having for years as I read forums. No solution that would work for me. Boy what an unreliable windows. What do I do? And yes I tried Hidden files....
  10. PC updated Windows 10 and all of the files pictures, music, documents have been deleted

PC updated Windows 10 and all of the files pictures, music, documents have been deleted: My laptop performed a standard update of Windows 10 and a couple of weeks later I opened my laptop and ALL of my files have been deleted. Years worth of photos, work documents, personal files have all vanished. The Windows.old folder no longer exists and despite trying to...