Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a bit of a major and odd problem with my new Windows 10 install. I have an appointment to talk to a tier 2 person at Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FLIB1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. FLIB1 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

Hello everyone. I have a bit of a major and odd problem with my new Windows 10 install.

I have an appointment to talk to a tier 2 person at Microsoft tomorrow, but I'd like to ask for opinions here as well please.

So, I'll try and keep it brief.

I had Windows 7. Support expired so I installed Windows 10 and clicked the option to keep all my files etc.

Windows 10 installed, computer restarted.

When I comes back on, I move all my pictures/documents/music from their old folders to the new empty ones under my profile. I download the picture I used to have as a wallpaper to my new download folder and set it as the wallpaper.

Oddly, the calculator doesn't work from the program menu. I assume it's perhaps not compatible with the new system and, as it's late, decide to leave it until today and shut it down.

Boot it up today and my profile wallpaper screen is black. Try to change it to the picture I downloaded last night. No option to select a picture, only solid colours.

Odd I think. Try calculator, that now works yay! I guess.

Go back to wallpaper.

Look in Download folder, nothing in there.

Look in Pictures folder, nothing in there.

Look in Music folder, nothing in there.

Look in Documents folder, nothing in there.

Basically, everything I'd moved across the previous night had gone. Although, instead of the folders being completely empty, there was a 'sample folder' there instead.

Upsettingly, all the files had also gone from the original folders I moved them from.

So, my question is, where did they go?

Have they been overwritten by something else?

How can I find where they are or what's happened to them?

They're not hidden and they're not deleted according to Recuva, so what's happened to them?

There's no back up to these now as I moved the files from the back up to the new folders.

I can't go back to a saved restore point as it says there isn't one although I did create several under Windows 7.

And, last thing, when I moved them to their new folders I did check that they worked by opening files from their new locations and everything seemed fine.

Please, if you have any answers, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

FLIB1, Jan 20, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Will Documents, Music & Pictures be included in the upgrade?

I am wondering if my documents, my music & pictures will be automatically saved when I upgrade to Windows 10?

KrisKing0687, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

upgraded to windows 10 and all my files, pictures and music are gone!

Recently upgraded to windows 10 and even though it said all of my files wouldn't be lost they are now gone! pictures, music, images all gone. I checked the C drive and there's nothing there. please help!

charlesarroyo1, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone.

1. Windows 10 upgrade, all pictures/documents/music gone. - Similar Threads - upgrade pictures documents

2. Windows 7 upgraded to WIndows 10. Missing a lot of Documents P& pictures

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 upgraded to WIndows 10. Missing a lot of Documents P& pictures: I took my PC in to have virus removed and WIndows 10 installed. I previously had WIndows 7. Now all my scanned documents and majority of pictures especially from the last two years are gone. I can find documents/pics from much older years still, but literally hundreds of...
  3. USB Music Files Gone!

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Music Files Gone!: I have/had a USB drive with 1600 songs on it. I use it in my car and bring it in to add songs. Today I had it in my computer working on something else and I bumped it a couple of times, and It pops on and off, and eventually lost all the music. I have a backup of most of...
  4. Documents and photos are gone

Documents and photos are gone: I opened my computer and all my documents and photos are gone. I am not logged in as a temporary account user. I have searched for a Windows.old folder and don't see one. When I open the folders for pictures and documents it days this folder is empty. I have restarted the...
  5. My computer forced an update and all my documents are gone!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer forced an update and all my documents are gone!!: M My computer forced an update and now when I turn it on, all my stuff is gone. Where are my documents? my pictures? my music??? Please let me know ASAP - I'm freaking out over here...
  6. Pictures gone

Pictures gone: Leave it to Microsoft to muck everything up for you. And why do they insist on forcing people to do or use this or that? It is always about money-not for the convenience of the customer. After buying a new computer, keep on being forced to use one drive. So where are my...
  7. crashed laptop, all music in groove is gone.

crashed laptop, all music in groove is gone.: My pc crashed and I had to reinstall windows, and now all my tracks are gone. Is there a way to get back all the music I had in Groove or is it gone forever?...
  8. Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?: For those of us finally fed up with the colossal mess applications have made of them (particularly “Documents”). And also for those of us still with just the “C:\” drive to work with. I’ve long heard that it’s simply not viable to use a new “Local Disc C:\” folder for such...
  9. Upgraded to Windows 10, OneDrive now has synced Documents & Pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to Windows 10, OneDrive now has synced Documents & Pictures: Hi, I ended up getting a new gaming laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 10, compared to my old one which had Windows 8.1. The gaming laptop game with a SSD which houses the OS among other things and a larger HDD. With my old laptop (which had the same set up), I...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade - All programs gone

Windows 10 Upgrade - All programs gone: I just got suckered into upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10 (clicking the "download" instead of the "install" button still forces you into an upgrade within a week with no way to cancel). The update itself took 2-3h and it seems to work, at least the desktop comes back up...