Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-12Z laptop - currently, every time I start it up it goes through a 30 minute update process, then fails the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hypercubic, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-12Z laptop - currently, every time I start it up it goes through a 30 minute update process, then fails the update, then undoes the update, then restarts a few times and then I can log on normally.

I've run the Windows Update Troubleshooter several times and it hasn't helped at all.

I contacted MS support and they told me to update the BIOS but would not tell me why they thought that, so I'm dubious until someone points me to a KB article or something where I can see evidence.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, since this has ruined my laptop.

:)

Hypercubic, Apr 20, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Apr 20, 2019
  3. aronchick Win User
    Stuck in Windows 10 Upgrade

My computer seems to be stuck in a Windows 10 failed upgrade loop. I was running fine on a beta version of Windows 10, and then I came downstairs one morning to see it repeatedly booting, attempting to repair, then rebooting. The steps I've taken to diagnose are:

• Attempting to boot off a USB drive (with all drives disabled in BIOS) - this fails at the point of the blue windows screen
    • Attempting to boot the machine itself and getting into "repair/safe mode" using F7
    • Looking at the BIOS for obvious failures (e.g. RAM that should be there is missing) - nothing obvious is wrong.

I am fairly certain the build version was 9926. For many months, the system would attempt to upgrade, and then say "it failed" for some reason and roll back.

Suggestions for next steps?

aronchick, Apr 20, 2019
  4. Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts

Can't upgrade laptop to Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried Windows Defender and discovered it was not turned on and when I tried to turn it on it would quickly turn itself off again. I used another anti-virus program to check out the laptop but it found no problem. Obviously this laptop has some problems.

My next step is to put the original drive back into the machine and try the Windows 10 upgrade from that and if that also fails do a restore of this laptop to the original Windows 7.

alkaufmann, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts

1. Windows 10 upgrade always fails, always rolls back, laptop eventually starts - Similar Threads - upgrade always fails

2. My laptop will no longer update. It tries and always fails, and rolls back any changes....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop will no longer update. It tries and always fails, and rolls back any changes....: I responded to a post about downloading and using SFCFix.exe while the SFCFix.zip file was unable to be located using the hyperlink https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-no-longer-update-it-tries-and/05b27427-338d-421e-a064-f1a1423b3e72
  3. My laptop will no longer update. It tries and always fails, and rolls back any changes....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop will no longer update. It tries and always fails, and rolls back any changes....: I responded to a post about downloading and using SFCFix.exe while the SFCFix.zip file was unable to be located using the hyperlink https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-no-longer-update-it-tries-and/05b27427-338d-421e-a064-f1a1423b3e72
  4. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade failing & rolling back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade failing & rolling back: Hello,I tried 3 times to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 but the upgrade rolled back on its own. Current version of Windows: Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H1OS build 19043.1348Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0Laptop config: Dell...
  5. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade failing & rolling back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade failing & rolling back: Hello,I tried 3 times to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 but the upgrade rolled back on its own. Current version of Windows: Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H1OS build 19043.1348Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0Laptop config: Dell...
  6. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade failing & rolling back

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 10 Update Always Fails!

Windows 10 Update Always Fails!: I did a clean boot, checked device manager to make sure all devices are good, removed 3rd party security software, disabled services found got problem in event system log, removed SATA disks, watched the system event log during the in house update, didn't see ERROR or...
  8. Windows 10 Updates Always Failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Updates Always Failing: My PC keeps failing to install any and all Windows 10 updates. Currently there is only one queued and it fails with this message:2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762) - Error 0x80070bc9 I tried restarting Windows and trying...
  9. MigrationAbortedDueToPluginFailure - upgrade to 1809 always fails

MigrationAbortedDueToPluginFailure - upgrade to 1809 always fails: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 from 1803 to 1809. Using setupdiag.exe this error gets reported consistently. No one at MS is able to actually tell me what causes this error or how to fix it. I've been told to disable Windows search (did that, didn't fix it), run the...
  10. always fail to upgrade win10mobile version 10.0.15063.138

always fail to upgrade win10mobile version 10.0.15063.138: I don't know how many people are stilling use a wphone but I guess this is the last place I can find a answer. I've got a lumia830. I think I bought it in 2016 and stopped using it in 2017 after I upgraded to win10 10.0.14977.1000. . Last week I picked up this phone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 upgrade 90% then fails rolls back