Windows 10: windows 10 upgrade asking for product key

Discus and support windows 10 upgrade asking for product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have downloaded the windows 10(home x64) ISO file and made a USB flash device using it,and now whenever i try to upgrade my LAPTOP(it came with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by khushdeep, Aug 16, 2015.

1. khushdeep Win User

windows 10 upgrade asking for product key

i have downloaded the windows 10(home x64) ISO file and made a USB flash device using it,and now whenever i try to upgrade my LAPTOP(it came with original windows pre-installed) it asks for a product key and there is no "skip" option available all i see is next and back option.Please help me
    PS-I have already reserved my upgrade but i don't to upgrade via windows update.
    windows 10 upgrade asking for product key [​IMG]

:)

khushdeep, Aug 16, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Asking for Product Key!?

There might still be a small window of opportunity, its worth a try.

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 99% disconnect from the Internet LAN
    (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

How to download official
    Windows 10 ISO files

How to: upgrade
    from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

If setup did not complete on time and you experience problems activating. Contact Chat support after the Windows 10 installation is complete. Click Start > All Apps > Contact Support. Explain your situation to the chat agent.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Asking for Product Key!?

Click Do this later if prompted for a product key.

windows 10 upgrade asking for product key [​IMG]

If setup did not complete on time and you experience problems activating. Contact Chat support after the Windows 10 installation is complete. Click Start > All Apps > Contact Support. Explain your situation to the chat agent.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Aug 16, 2015
  4. neomatter Win User

You have to upgrade first and have the license validated on MS servers. Once that is done, you can go ahead and do a clean install. There is no other way around that.

neomatter, Aug 16, 2015
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi khushdeep and welcome to TenForums!

Navigate to the ISO on your system drive, right-click and select "mount ISO in virtual drive". Then run setup.exe from that.
    There should be an option to "upgrade this computer". After selecting that, any product key screens should have a "skip" option. Once you have upgraded, and verified the activation, you can clean install, if you wish.

Hope this helps!

simrick, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    I didn't see mentioned which version of Windows it came with.

Berton, Aug 16, 2015
  7. neomatter Win User
    Judging by the desktop, I would have to say it's either 8 or 8.1.

neomatter, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

Of those 2 choices it would have to be Win8.1 as Win10 is not supposed to Upgrade over Win8.0. I don't know that Win10 will do an Upgrade over Win8.0, may need to be a clean install an .iso file, USB drive or a DVD. I've only done the Win10TP from DVD to a clean drive, just now on the last 0.2GB of the full 64-bit .iso file download.

Berton, Aug 16, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Upgrading from Windows 8.0 is supported by the ISO download method - just not from Windows Update. And in the screenshot on the taskbar is the get Windows 10 icon.

To the OP:
    Run the Media Creation Tool again:
    Windows 10

This time select the "Upgrade this PC now" option. Make sure you run the correct 32bit or 64bit version of the Media Creation Tool that matches what you have installed now.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    For the upgrade to proceed, the ISO must have the same "bitness" (32 or 64) as the Windows installation that is to be upgraded, the versions have to match, and the languages have to match. (I believe that additional considerations, like N or KN versions, also have to match.)

If something doesn't match, the installer will ask for a key, which is not provided with the free upgrade.

Does using the "upgrade now" option with Media Creation Tool automatically match everything, like the online reservation does? That'd be easiest. (I'd still want the right ISO, though, for my personal use.)

bobkn, Aug 16, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. And I'll bet the reason the first attempt was asking for a key is because something in the version wasn't matching up.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  12. Come on folks...people come here with problems and do NOT need to be told to do things they clearly have already done!

Consider:
    1) what version are they running -- big mystery! However, in BOTH their profile on the left and in their system specs, they clearly indicate Windows 8.1. How many more places to they need to tell us this?

2) Run an upgrade -- just look at the screenshot. They are running the setup.exe file from INSIDE Windows. So clearly, they are trying to run an upgrade.

3) Mount the ISO -- again, look at the screenshot. It clearly shows the ISO being mounted as the "E:" partition, and you can see the root folders and files in the screenshot.

4) Bitness mismatch -- if you try to upgrade a 64-bit install from a 32-bit ISO, you won't even get to the product key page. As soon as setup runs, it puts up an error screen telling you to use the 64-bit version.

5) Home/Pro mismatch -- THIS is the problem. Right after the Get important updates, it puts up that same Product key window.

So, to the OP -- you need to download an ISO of the correct version -- Home or Pro.

Mark Phelps, Aug 17, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

Gimme a break.

The only foul-up I've personally committed of this type was absent-mindedly using a Pro ISO on a Win 7 home premium installation.

I can attest to the key thing on that. None of the others.

bobkn, Aug 17, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    Sorry, but the OP says "made a USB flash device", so I took him at his word, and suggested mounting the ISO.

When I mount the ISO, I don't have a "System Volume Information" showing. (and yes, I have hidden files showing in my setup.)

simrick, Aug 17, 2015
  15. He probably did (make a USB stick) as "ESD-ISO" is the same name that is on my USB stick. But, you can see in the screenshot that it is already mounted as the "E:" drive.

Mark Phelps, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. windows 10 upgrade asking for product key - Similar Threads - upgrade asking product

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key: Hello, I have recently upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10, And I am facing problems like my windows isn't activated can someone please help me. I can't personalise my desktop. Please help me...…. I've opened up the same Question but couldn't replay to that. Please...
  6. Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key: Hello, I have recently upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10, And I am facing problems like my windows isn't activated can someone please help me. I can't personalise my desktop. Please help me...…....
  7. I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10

I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two years ago. I don't remember whether I was given a product key during the upgrade. A month ago, I had the blue screen problem and no matter how I tried, the problem could not be resolved. So I reinstalled my purchased Windows 7....
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key: Hello, I have been trying to upgrade from Windows Update, but for some reason it won't work, so I thought I can use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. Once the "Updating to Windows 10" section is complete, it will open a Windows 10 Setup window. It asks for product key. I...
  9. win 10 upgrade asking for product key

win 10 upgrade asking for product key: Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue. I now have permission to upgrade the original work...
  10. Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key

Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key: I was going to install Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool but I chose the second option, 'Create installation media for another PC' thinking it could be helpful in the future. I was able to successfully download it then tried installing it right after that. There came...