Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade fail

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HankFischer Win User

Windows 10 upgrade fail

I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying another route and down loaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. When I ran it it fails to start giving me the message-"Can't find the necessary file. Please check if you have permission to write to the installation folder."

I'm unable to find any information regarding this message and am stymied.

:)

HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Slartybart Win User

Windows 10 upgrade fail

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade fail

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail - Similar Threads - upgrade fail

2. Latest error I was trying to create an image to upgrade, it has been failing in differnt...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest error I was trying to create an image to upgrade, it has been failing in differnt...: Many messages like this one. But they have succeeded in change all programs and devices to run as 32Bit. - through COM kernel processes. I cannot stop it cannot get them out. Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-User Device Registration/Admin Source:...
  3. Windows 10 fails up upgrade for the 100th time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 fails up upgrade for the 100th time: Windows 10 fails fails fails to update. I have been through it enough. Microsoft paints to my Acer BIOS, Acer points to Microsoft. I have tried most recommended fixes (no USB, ISO, remove other anti-virus, etc). I don't need these updates continuing to freeze my computer...
  4. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  5. Windows Activation failing after a hardware upgrade.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation failing after a hardware upgrade.: Basically, as title describes. I recently upgraded the core of my PC (CPU / Mobo / RAM) and was informed that my windows following that upgrade was not activated. Fair enough. I am holding a Windows 10 license from the free upgrade from 7 that is currently tied to my...
  6. Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade FAILS

Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade FAILS: Hi, I bought a new laptop - running Windows 10 Home - and removed all the softwares that came with it. Then I bought from the Microsoft Store an upgrade to Pro. The upgrade installs, reboots, and when it come back, I've got this message: "We couldn't complete the upgrade,...
  7. Windows 7x64 Upgrade to 10 failing Error:0x800704B8 - Setuperr.log

Windows 7x64 Upgrade to 10 failing Error:0x800704B8 - Setuperr.log: Hello everyone, I have a guy that is trying to upgrade his tower to windows 10 and it keeps failing. I had him uninstall the closest thing he had to an antivirus (malware bytes) and his video card drivers but the upgrade still fails. I had him attach the setuperr.log file and...
  8. Upgrade to 1809 fails with error 0x80004005-0x1000A

Upgrade to 1809 fails with error 0x80004005-0x1000A: Running 1803 with dual boot with SSD as main partition and hard disc as 2nd partition. I have tried all of the possible "fixes" to no avail. Had similar problem going to 1803 and ended up doing a clean install. Do not want to do that again. Error message says Downlevel...
  9. always fail to upgrade win10mobile version 10.0.15063.138

always fail to upgrade win10mobile version 10.0.15063.138: I don't know how many people are stilling use a wphone but I guess this is the last place I can find a answer. I've got a lumia830. I think I bought it in 2016 and stopped using it in 2017 after I upgraded to win10 10.0.14977.1000. . Last week I picked up this phone...
  10. Failed Upgrade Windows The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during...

Failed Upgrade Windows The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during...: Try to upgrade from 1607 to 1709 FCU 0x8007042b - 0x2000d The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. My Laptop is MSI GE62 2QL with Windows 10 Education upgrade with Win10_1709_EnglishInternational_x64.ISO file already...