Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade fail

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail

I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying another route and down loaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. When I ran it it fails to start giving me the message-"Can't find the necessary file. Please check if you have permission to write to the installation folder."

I'm unable to find any information regarding this message and am stymied.

:)

HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Windows 10 upgrade fail

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade fail

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail - Similar Threads - upgrade fail

2. upgrade to Insider 21376.1 fails with Page fault in non-paged Area How to fix or return to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade to Insider 21376.1 fails with Page fault in non-paged Area How to fix or return to...: Cannot update windows insider 21376.1 always fails with Page fault in non-paged area https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-insider-213761-fails-with-page-fault-in/a1c8692f-8783-433e-81eb-1cc6f59f01cd
  3. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Fails. Troubleshooter Fails.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Fails. Troubleshooter Fails.: The purchase through Windows store was successful. I got no email for confirmation and no KEY. I get that Windows will handle the digital license through the Store but it is screwing up, and I need the key. In system settings - Activation, it says "We can't activate...
  4. Windows 10 1909 to 20H2 Upgrade Failing - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - The installation failed in...

Windows 10 1909 to 20H2 Upgrade Failing - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - The installation failed in...: I have been trying to upgrade to 20H2 for some time but it constantly fails and haven't been able to decipher the logs.I've done all the standard checks sfc, driver updates, bios updates without success.I am wondering if part of the issues is windows is on a different drive...
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade fails with error 0x80070057

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade fails with error 0x80070057: Hello,This week I've upgraded my computer due to the motherboard of my previous one dying after 11 good years of service. Specifically from a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 to a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, not that it matters exactly. I know my Windows 10 Pro license is retail and...
  6. Failed Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Failed Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro: My current laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T490 came with Windows 10 Home installed. I went to the Microsoft Store to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I purchased the upgrade and installed it at which point the computer gave error code 0x80070005. I restarted and said "Applying updates"....
  7. Thinkpad Lenovo T500 failing upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10

Thinkpad Lenovo T500 failing upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10: I have tryied many times to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 but nothing had worked. So far I have tried following the error page, along with updating drivers and software. It gets through the reboot to Windows 10 with the logo and spinning wheel, only for it to blue screen...
  8. Windows 10 20H2 upgrade fails

Windows 10 20H2 upgrade fails: Hello all, I've been struggling over the past couple of days, trying to get a Dell Latitude E6540 laptop upgraded to W10 20H2, from 1909. I tried numerous solutions I've found on the 'net and nothing has worked, I'm hoping that someone here can help. Log files from the...
  9. I haven't been able to upgrade Windows in 6 months. 20H2 and now 21H1 consistently fail...

I haven't been able to upgrade Windows in 6 months. 20H2 and now 21H1 consistently fail...: I haven't been able to update windows for nearly 6 months. I've followed multiple support threads on here with no success. I've unplugged all devices from the PC. I've downloaded the the windows installer and ran it locally, tried to run it off of a USB. I've uninstalled my...
  10. Printer says failed print head after upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer says failed print head after upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: After upgrading my operating system from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro my HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer is inoperable saying missing or failed printhead. The printer worked right before I upgraded so I know it is either the Windows 10 upgrade or the Microsoft 2019...