Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade fail

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail

I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying another route and down loaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. When I ran it it fails to start giving me the message-"Can't find the necessary file. Please check if you have permission to write to the installation folder."

I'm unable to find any information regarding this message and am stymied.

:)

HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Windows 10 upgrade fail

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade fail

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail - Similar Threads - upgrade fail

2. My Laptop fails upgrading Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Laptop fails upgrading Windows 10: When reainstalling the windows with USB to keep my files (media creation tool) it shows me this window:[IMG] Can someone tell me how to fix it? Also i cant start my laptop, i literally cant go to desktop. Is there any other way to fix it? I had that problem with blank...
  3. Transfer windows 10 upgrade that failed to load to another PC

Transfer windows 10 upgrade that failed to load to another PC: I have an OEM windows 10 home PC. Purchased an upgrade to windows 10 pro. It failed to load and restored my home version. How to I transfer that Windows 10 pro upgrade to another computer?...
  4. Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails: Hello Community. I have a new Dell XPS15 64bit with W10 Home. My old laptop has a goosed display and I have located from its hard drive the Key from my W10 Pro. But when I try to upgrade my Dell XPS15 using the Product key from my old laptop W10 Pro the process fails to...
  5. Upgrading valid, activated Win 10 Home to Pro completely fails

Upgrading valid, activated Win 10 Home to Pro completely fails: Hello, I have a laptop with a preinstalled and validated Win 10 Home. Today I tried to upgrade it to Win 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store. I bought the corresponding Win 10 Pro upgrade (after some payment hassle, I hope it is not relating..). After the purchase the...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade Failed - Error: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

Windows 10 Upgrade Failed - Error: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017: Hey there! I am trying to upgrade my Win10 18334 to 18836 using an ISO but I get this error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation Is there anyway to fix it? I uploaded my error log too! Thanks in advance!...
  7. Blue screen following upgrade. System thread exception not handled AmUStor.SYS failed

Blue screen following upgrade. System thread exception not handled AmUStor.SYS failed: My PC ran an automatic upgrade (I think) and now blue screens with the error above. I have had a search around these threads but anything I can find to try in command mode is too old and the commands no longer exist in that form or just don't work. I've tried to have a look...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade failed, now a bunch of my storage is taken up

Windows 10 upgrade failed, now a bunch of my storage is taken up: I was trying to upgrade my windows 7 computer to windows 10 from a USB, then the installation failed due to error 0xC1900101 0x20017. I restarted my computer to try to install windows 10 again but now I dont even have enough space. My drive had 12GB free and now it only has...
  9. Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade: Have a machine that was on Windows 7. Attempted an in place upgrade to windows 10 that ended with the machine being stuck in a boot loop. Ended up formatting the hard drive and just installing windows 10. Have done this many times in the past with no issue, but this...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade fails to 1809

Windows 10 upgrade fails to 1809: Split from this thread. I have the same problem; Have tried; - Remove USB drives - Checked for disk errors (none found) - Updated display driver - Removed A/V software - Used the Update Assistant - Done a full disk cleanup (including updates) Maybe these...