Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade fail

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail

I tried to do a windows update to Windows 10, version 1803 and failed 4 times spending hours while it installed and died just before 85%. Now trying another route and down loaded Windows10Upgrade9252.exe. When I ran it it fails to start giving me the message-"Can't find the necessary file. Please check if you have permission to write to the installation folder."

I'm unable to find any information regarding this message and am stymied.

:)

HankFischer, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Windows 10 upgrade fail

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade fail

1. Windows 10 upgrade fail - Similar Threads - upgrade fail

2. Windows Insider Upgrade Fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Insider Upgrade Fails: This is an strange one to say the least. The lastest upgrade has been downloaded and as far as I can tell installed. The Windows Update page is showing "Pending Restart" and the power option are also showing "Update and Restart". However, choosing either method results in...
  3. Upgrade 1803 -> 1809 Failed & No Longer Available

Upgrade 1803 -> 1809 Failed & No Longer Available: Hello I'm looking for a bit of help. I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 however the installation keeps failing. Current version is 1803 and trying to go to 1809. When the install reaches 42% the PC locks up and I have to restart, causing it to roll back to 1803. After a...
  4. After Upgrade Windows 10 to Build 1809 Blu Ray burn fails

After Upgrade Windows 10 to Build 1809 Blu Ray burn fails: During the burn process the procedure fails on different points. The drive connected via SATA or installed as an external drive via USB3 does not change the problem. After the restore of my C drive to version Build 1803, the unit works fine again....
  5. upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 Fails (5 attempts)

upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 Fails (5 attempts): Hi, I am wanting to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10. However the installation has crashed out 5 times and reverted to my Win 7 first i got the 0xC1900101-0x30018 error during SYSPREP - I seem to have resolved this by bringing all my drivers (including hidden...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails

Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails: I've an older Toshiba Satellite L25-S121 laptop. The detailed spec sheet of this laptop can be found at https://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=1250428&isFromTOCLink=false The laptop came with Windows XP Pro 32-bit OS. I bought Windows 10 Home OS...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro failed .. it's a disaster

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro failed .. it's a disaster: Have a year plus old Dell XPS 27 all in one. Shipped with Windows 10 Home. After the many frustrations with Windows updates causing hours of lost time, broken system, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Went to store and bought the upgrade. System did the download,...
  8. upgrade windows 10 from 1511 to 1803 failed - error code 0x80070652

upgrade windows 10 from 1511 to 1803 failed - error code 0x80070652: have tried a couple of times, including a direct connect to the server. no indication of network issues during the download. was able to apply 3 1511 upgrade in the same bundle. Virtual assistant does not have the error code. Looking for some insight....
  9. server 2016 fails to backup desktop after win 10 upgrade to 1809

server 2016 fails to backup desktop after win 10 upgrade to 1809: server 2016 fails to backup a couple of my machines after the win10 upgrade to 1809 the problem seems to be recovery partition on the C: drive - it no longer has a drive letter mark...
  10. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Store fails ...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Store fails ...: Hello, I am trying to upgrade/activate Windows 10 Pro that I purchased through the Microsoft Store for my Acer Aspire Laptop that had come with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. I am able to download the files and Windows performs the upgrade after a couple of minutes and a...