Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade failed twice

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade failed twice in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just failed miserably to upgrade my Acer E5 laptop running fully updated Windows 8.1. The error code and message read 0xC1900101-0x40017 Failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by canuck257, Nov 27, 2015.

1. canuck257 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade failed twice

I have just failed miserably to upgrade my Acer E5 laptop running fully updated Windows 8.1. The error code and message read
    0xC1900101-0x40017 Failed in SECOND-BOOT phase. Error during BOOT operation.

Can anyone supply some possible causes and/or solutions please?

:)

canuck257, Nov 27, 2015
  2. AstroRon Win User

update 1607 won't complete install

Cedeeh,

Thanks for the additional info to try upgrading to 1607. I'm sorry to say this didn't work and failed second boot just as the rest of the other methods failed.

Upgrade via normal updates...failed twice (actually...many times)

Upgrade Assistant...failed twice

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool...failed twice

The "second Boot" failure code: 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Latest update: Successful update Nov 9, 2016

Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

Looks like I'm still getting updates for 1511. I may need to stay here.

Thank you again for the hint.

Ron

AstroRon, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 FAILED TWICE

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Do you receive any error message or code when trying to upgrade to Windows 10?

If you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows update then
    I suggest you to download an ISO image of Windows 10 and try to install again using the Media Creation tool.

Download Windows 10

Installation Media tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

For reference Windows 10 Install and Upgrade Top Solutions:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-install-and-upgrade-top-solutions/a59d8a6a-18da-417b-93a6-7b6ab4d03896

Let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 27, 2015
  4. canuck257 Win User

Nobody got any ideas???

canuck257, Nov 28, 2015
  5. philc43 Win User
    This error is usually associated with a USB device. Try unpluging all USB devices as a troubleshooting step and try the upgrade again. If the upgrade is then successful, you can plug the devices back in and they should function normally.

philc43, Nov 28, 2015
  6. canuck257 Win User
    Thanks for the input. I made sure all USB devices were disconnected and tried to upgrade again. I got the same result, no install.

canuck257, Nov 29, 2015
  7. philc43 Win User
    Next thing to try is to make sure you have all the latest drivers for the system, check on the Acer support pages for your model. In particular, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.

As with all problems of this nature it is a matter of trial and error and systematically working through the possibilities.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade failed twice - Similar Threads - upgrade failed twice

2. Windows 11 upgrade failed twice and didn't prompt for upgrade more

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade failed twice and didn't prompt for upgrade more: Hi,i have some device in my upgrade group that failed to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 from Windows 10 22H2.They failed twice and then no more pop up the Windows 11 upgrade.Scanning for update doesn't affect the device.I've full updated the drivers and repaired the OS with DISM...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade failed twice and didn't prompt for upgrade more

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade failed twice and didn't prompt for upgrade more: Hi,i have some device in my upgrade group that failed to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 from Windows 10 22H2.They failed twice and then no more pop up the Windows 11 upgrade.Scanning for update doesn't affect the device.I've full updated the drivers and repaired the OS with DISM...
  4. Failed to upgrade Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to upgrade Windows 10: Hi, I have had upgraded my PC several times but still failed. It just rechecking for updates when it's almost 100% getting updated. PC model: Asus Tp500ln Your help is needed and really appreciate it!...
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade Failed

Windows 10 Upgrade Failed: I have tried to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. I have paid for the upgrade but I get this error message when I try to install the upgrade[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-failed/59f5b6b6-bde2-4134-b1f3-faefaa5e0a3b
  6. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 failed twice. Error Code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

Upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 failed twice. Error Code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017: I disconnected everything but monitor, keyboard and mouse on the second attempt. I am a novas and would appreciate a simple solution. Very frustrated at this point....
  7. window 10 upgrade fails

window 10 upgrade fails: hi, my lap top has wind 7 upgraded to window 10 has now version 1709 , however the upgrade 1803 is not getting installed as it fails during updating at 75 % level. I tried to down load from Microsoft site after creating media tool , this is version is 1903 as their is no...
  8. Failing to Upgrade Windows 10.

Failing to Upgrade Windows 10.: Hi, I have been trying to upgrade windows 10 (1703) to 1803 for a while now and nothing seem to be working. I have tried the .iso file, windows media creation tool, troubleshooter, removed downloads from Software Distribution, tried updating while offline. I tried a...
  9. windows fails to install 1809 TWICE

windows fails to install 1809 TWICE: so I wanted 1809 because all of my friend at high school installed it already so in installed it over night but found it failed and had a error message that was from Wacom saying the driver is not running so I rolled it back to 1803 and then did it again same thing but this...
  10. Windows 10 fails to upgrade.

Windows 10 fails to upgrade.: Have followed instructions & downloaded upgrade only to find every time it gets to 32% it fails & will not go any further, have done this four times outcome always the same can someone help I have 74gb of hard drive free so there should be enough to accommodate the upgrade....