Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been attempting to do an in place upgrade of windows 7 professional to windows 10 for the last few weeks and can't get it to work. I used the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ben Krause (ben), Oct 30, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

I have been attempting to do an in place upgrade of windows 7 professional to windows 10 for the last few weeks and can't get it to work. I used the windows media creation tool to download windows 10 to an ISO file on the computer which I then extracted. I run setup and it says Windows Media Center is not compatible/available in windows 10 which I confirm and continue the installer. It prepares to install windows 10 and keep my apps and settings and then reboots to continue the installation. Something fails and it rolls back to windows 7.

I have run the "SetupDiag.exe" on the system and it seems to indicate that Windows Media Center is the reason for the failure. I have gone into Add/Remove Programs > Windows Features and unchecked the Windows Media Center under the Media section. It removed it and I rebooted.

When I go to run the setup again, it says that Windows Media Center is not compatible/available in Windows 10 even though I removed it. Again, I confirm the message and continue the installation. The install fails again.

I am including what is in the log file for the SetupDiag.exe for your reference.

Matching Profile found: CompatBlockedApplicationDismissable, FindFatalPluginFailure - EA52620B-E6A0-4BBC-882E-0686605736D9, E48E3F1C-26F6-4AFB-859B-BF637DA49636

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = WS1

Manufacturer = Hewlett-Packard

Model = HP Compaq Pro 6305 SFF

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = PCAT

BiosReleaseDate = 20130816000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = Default System BIOS

BiosVersion = K06 v02.57

HostOSVersion = 6.1.7601

HostOSBuildString = 7601.24524.amd64fre.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.190916-1700

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.18362.323 (19h1_release_svc_prod2.190809-2149)

HostOSLanguageId =

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV =

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 10/30/2019 6:22:22 AM

UpgradeEndTime = 10/30/2019 7:31:13 AM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 01:08:51

CV =

ReportId =

Warning: Found Dismissible Block for: "Windows Media Center is installed on this PC".

This is a dismissible message when not running setup.exe in "/quiet" mode.

Consider specifying "/compat /ignore warning" to ignore these dismissible warnings when running in /quiet mode.

For more information about Setup command line switches, see here:

"https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-command-line-options"

Error: SetupDiag reports fatal migration plug-in failure.

Last Phase: Safe OS

Last Operation: Offline portion of first and oobe boot apply operations

Plug-in Name = %windir%\system32\migration\SxsMigPlugin.dll

Migration Operation = IPostApply->PostApply

Plug-in Error: 0x00000002

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

You must manually uninstall "Windows Media Center is installed on this PC" before continuing with the installation/update, or change the command line parameters to ignore warnings if you are using the "/quiet" parameter.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Safe OS

Phase Started: 10/30/2019 7:19:44 AM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Offline portion of first and oobe boot apply operations

Operation Started: 10/30/2019 7:25:36 AM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

:)

Ben Krause (ben), Oct 30, 2019
  2. Law-II Win User

Windows Media Center Live TV Help

Hi

go here - Hauppauge | Page Not Found select "Windows Media Center install" tab

look at - Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center - select download (will open a pdf with screen by screen instructions)
    "Download
    Here is a screen by screen view of the setup of Windows Media Center. It was based on the WinTV-HVR-1600, but the setup with other WinTV-HVR products will be similar."

Follow the guide stage by stage

let the TPU community know at what "step" Media Center gets stuck at Example: step 1, step 2

nb: It may be to do with your zip code and or post code not being entered

In regard to your DVD Rom drive - go to -control panel/device manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives -make a note of the make and model number Example: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215D ATA Device - highlight the device you have installed -press right mouse button-select properties-details-property and select Install Date from the drop down list and let us know this.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Law-II, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Hillbilly Win User
    Help save Windows Media Center

With the release of Windows 10 Microsoft has decided not to support Windows Media Center any longer. I have been using Windows Media Center as the backbone of my HTPC setup for around 10 years now and I hate to see it go. In my opinion it was the easiest to setup and have the most polished user interface. If you would like to try and save Windows Media Center please sign the petitions that follow.

http://www.mediacenterdontdie.com/petition/ (These folks got the best ideas)

and

https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-...pt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition (The obligatory change.org option)

I may be in a small minority and Windows Media Center is destined to go the way of the dodo. :-(

Hillbilly, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Failing media

2. Window Media Center

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window Media Center: how do i conncet my pc to window media https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-media-center/1eab3dec-0a3e-482a-8ee3-ee4d29a3cf0d
  3. windows media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows media center: how to i get the internet tv to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center/51d4e124-c330-4adc-ab56-07efefc6d65b
  4. Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center: I have MS 8.1 Media Center with thousands of dollars of purchased software installed on it. Due to a fire in our office I have lost all the original installation CD's for that software. Question is, I'm ready to move to Windows 10 and Office 2019. Can I upgrade to...
  5. windows media center for windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows media center for windows 10: windows media center is not available for windows 10, is there a work around for installing a workable version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center-for-windows-10/c8ea1d13-b934-49b5-bcc7-65932d876ee3
  6. Windows Media Center on Windows 10...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Media Center on Windows 10...: I have tried several different HTPC software packages, but none are as good as Windows Media Center. I had to keep Windows 7 on 3 computers I use for watching TV. If Microsoft would release a version for Windows 10, I'd upgrade. They could control their costs by...
  7. Windows 10 as media center?

Windows 10 as media center?: Which version of Windows 10 should I use as a media center for accessing NAS held movies plus living room browsing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-as-media-center/65485306-6402-456a-9d50-70c767f3bf9b
  8. Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?: Can someone confirm if this is true? I was told that if you upgrade to 10 from 8.1 that has WMC, that the program will still be there. It apparently is only lost if you do a clean install. Is that true? The main reason I havent upgraded to 10 is bc I thought it meant losing...
  9. Windows Media Center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963
  10. windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 pro with media center

windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 pro with media center: when the first windows upgrade appeared I signed on for upgrade 26/07/2015 windows upgrade gave me a message saying everything on my laptop (pc) is ready to upgrade even all app not from Microsoft are compatible with windows 10 29/07/15 I had 5 failed upgrade Microsoft say I...