Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I used Upgrade Assistant tool to upgrade my Windows 10 Anniversary copy to Creators Update. As soon as copying files is done, the computer restarts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RTH, Sep 9, 2017.

1. RTH
    RTH Win User

Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart

So I used Upgrade Assistant tool to upgrade my Windows 10 Anniversary copy to Creators Update.
    As soon as copying files is done, the computer restarts as usual.
    But there's something uncommon, my computer did not boot and entered straight to BIOS screen.
    I found out that somehow my boot drive list is disabled, I don't know why it's happened.
    So I manually picked my system drive to the list, and it boots.
    Soon thereafter, the setup said it has failed and "Reverting to my previous version of Windows".
    So here I am stuck in Anniversary Update.

This is actually not the first time it happened, it was also happening when I tried to upgrade within the Windows (by clicking SETUP.EXE file).
    So I suppose the setup should've been in another partition/disk so it can continues? Or it should be in boot mode? Why even Windows has upgrade process from within the system then?

:)

2. Update 1709 fails after first restart

Please be advised some users are reporting issues with the Windows 10 1709 update. Make sure you backup before attempting to upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

How to block it if you don't want to upgrade:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?

Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

perform the following tasks:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1709)

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-comput...

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1709 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511, 1607 and 1703

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Andre Da Costa, Sep 9, 2017
  3. windows 10 upgrade failed.

Im upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10. but it's continuing to fail. after the first restart the installation completes copying the files. after that pc restarts and in the installing new features and drivers session it immediately restart again and
    restores my pc to the previous version and gives me this.

"Error 0xC1900101-0x30018"

"the installation failed in the first_boot with an error during sysprep operation".

that's frustrating. need help..plz

ĄŕãìņżəŕĐə Řømīåņą, Sep 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Please post a screenshot of your disks and partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard rather than Disk Management.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

Please expand columns as necessary so all columns are visible.

E.g. (and here I show only Windows partitions- please show all disks)

Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart [​IMG]

If all had gone well, the upgrade should have continued seamlessly with 2 or 3 restarts and you responding to some prompts.

Please also open an admin command prompt, and type
    bcdedit /enum
    and post a screenshot of the result.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  5. RTH
    RTH Win User
    Thank you, here are the screenshots as suggested.
    My disks list:
    (Disk 1 is 1 TB hard drive and Disk 2 is 256 GB SSD for system)

My bcdedit:

6. dalchina New Member
    Those look ok; the only comment there is that you would be advised to have at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk in case Windows needs to create a new Recovery partition.

I don't know why you ended up seeing the BIOS, I'm afraid, so you might have some unusual odd thing amiss.

Meanwhile, here is a collection of things to work thru including relevant tutorials from tenforums, attached.
    Please consider doing the upgrade manually (download iso first, and attempt the upgrade without updates).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade fails after first restart - Similar Threads - upgrade fails restart

2. RDP first login after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP first login after restart: Greetings, I have a home server and manage it via RDP. Sadly, this technology is pretty non-stable and every time I restart the server, I get an error when I try to log in to my server. It says, that "The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections...
  3. First time upgrade to Windows 10 :)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    First time upgrade to Windows 10 :): Hey, I'm replacing my 10 year old PC with its Windows 7 Prof. 64bit installation. I think I still got that license from my university or so. Any chance I can convert that license for a fresh install on my new PC? If yes, how? If no, where to best get a valid license? Also,...
  4. Windows 7 to 10 download fail on first restart please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 to 10 download fail on first restart please help!: Hey all, I need your help to upgrade my windows 7 to 10. but when I do I get this error after the first restart: Windows 10 upgrade: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 error, if this is any help, here is the panther/setupact.log I'm not sure what I'm looking for in this.. please help me...
  5. Restarts and Freezes after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarts and Freezes after Windows 10 upgrade: Hi, I have an Acer Laptop and just cloned my Windows 7 installation to a new SSD and upgraded to Windows 10 (Please see system info below). I then updated all drivers that could be updated. Everything went smoothly and seemed to be running fine. But today, every time I...
  6. Windows 10 Update Fails At 45% After Restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update Fails At 45% After Restart: Hello, I'm having an issue when trying to update Windows 10. Basically it auto updates and after the computer restarts it tries to install the update and fails every time.The last update I have is the Windows 10 creators update and the current one that is failing to update...
  7. Just upgraded to 10. On the first restart, I can not connect to wifi.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Just upgraded to 10. On the first restart, I can not connect to wifi.: On the screen it says my name and the next button. I click next and it gives a list of wifi networks. I click on my network and it will not connect. I go stand next to the router and it will not connect. My only options are next or back, no task bars nothing. I hope that...
  8. No restart after upgrading

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart after upgrading: Hi, I'm having some hard times with my pc after installing windows 10...I used to have windows 8.1 and everything was fine. Since I downloaded 10: -it's no more possible fro me to restart my pc: it stops during the process. -programs behave weirdly: adobe is going mad, it's...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade BSOD after first reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade BSOD after first reboot: I am running win 8.1 64 bit. I have been trying to upgrade to win10 x64. I have tried both RS3 and RS4 builds. I have tried several times. I am able to get the upgrade to complete. However, each time after I do a first reboot after windows boots into windows10 and finishes...
  10. Windows 10 stops working after first restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 stops working after first restart: Hi all, I have tried this 3 times now and it's always the same. I am at my wits end so any help is very welcome. I do a clean install from a DVD ISO and Windows 10 seems to work fine. At this point I can use the Windows for as long as I want, installing programs,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 upgrade fails on first reboot

2. windows 10 inplace upgrade fails after 1st restart and not moving further

3. attempting to upgrade 8.1 to 10 at first reboot upgrade stops