Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a SSD with the OS on it and 2 TB drives for data. I have tried ALL the initial suggestions,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by notquitestr8t, May 3, 2016.

1. Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives

I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a SSD with the OS on it and 2 TB drives for data. I have tried ALL the initial suggestions, fixes but always get the "Something happened" message right at the end of the install.

The error I am getting in the setup logs indicates multiple drives might be the problem. See partial output:

2016-05-04 11:17:34, Error MOUPG CSystemHelper::CheckConnectedStandby(642): Result = 0x80070057
    2016-05-04 11:19:21, Error CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session
    2016-05-04 11:19:35, Error CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session
    2016-05-04 11:19:36, Error MOUPG CDlpActionImpl<class CDlpErrorImpl<class CDlpObjectInternalImpl<class CUnknownImpl<class IMoSetupDlpAction> > > >::Suspend(1066): Result = 0xC1800104........

2016-05-04 11:36:07, Error MOUPG MoSetupPlatform: SetupPlatform::SetSqmDatapoint(DWORD) returned: [0x80004005]
    2016-05-04 11:36:07, Error MOUPG MoSetupPlatform: SetupPlatform::SetSqmDatapoint(DWORD) returned: [0x80004005]

I disconnected the data drives and attempted an upgrade but since my profile is somehow tied to the data drives, I am unable to log on to start the setup. (Profile cannot be loaded). If I boot from the USB drive, can I still perform an upgrade or will this force me to perform a clean install? Any other options to make the upgrade work? I don't want to have to perform a clean install if I can get the upgrade to work.

Thanks in advance.

:)

notquitestr8t, May 3, 2016

2. What if I need to reistall the free windows 10 .

I too would like to know this.

Over the past year had to replace 2 Hard Drives. What happens if I update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium and a hard drive failure happens again. I only have the Windows 7 disk and key right now so what do I do if a future failure happens. Do
    I then have to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 once this upgrade offer has expired if there is another system failure resulting in a hard drive replacement.

Is there no way available right know to at least make a backup copy of the upgrade for future re-instals. I know that during testing for Windows 10 an ISO copy was made available that I put on a USB key drive if I needed to reinstall. Will ISO's be made
    available to those who do upgrade to Windows 10 under this free upgrade program so future system and drive failures can be repaired and we can just reload Windows 10.

DonaldSaundersJr, May 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 causing sudden hard drive death

I just recently ask this question on Microsoft forums too. Had two notebooks fail one after only six months from new with Windows 10 running and the other ran fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. My past experience was zero with hard drive failures
    previous to this. Had probably a dozen or more notebooks without a single drive failure.

I seriously began to correlate Windows 10 with these failures when I researched other forums and found many with hard drive failures either after upgrading to Win 10 or with a recently purchased PC with Win 10 installed. These were PC's with hard drives
    that had very low failure rates according to stats I could access online. I completely agree that Windows 10 is doing a lot in the background and the drive appears very busy at times, besides the fact that every six months or so, the PC cycles through a very
    intensive upgrade cycle to the next Win 10 release. This has to place a burden on the drive. Maybe the fact that notebooks have become smaller, thinner and provide less air flow on some models could also contribute to failures? Because I see much less failures
    with desktop PC's then notebooks. I think its something to consider and investigate further. I had not indication of failure either, SMART monitoring gave no indication of failure, and until I began to see signs of failure such a freezing, apps not loading
    and errors, did I even begin to test for failure. With one notebook a HP Pavilion 15 the tests actually finished off the drive for good and gave a early failure indicator result. This did not even provide me with a time frame to back up data on the drive.
    Word of caution the SMART system is not something to depend on for drive failure indicators.

jescott418, May 3, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives

Did you move any of your folders to the other drives? If so, move them back, then you can disconnect them to do the install. Move them back to the large drives after if necessary.

Ztruker, May 4, 2016
  5. Well, that's the the problem. I followed a document on how to configure a SSD drive with an HD 5 years ago and I no longer have the document. I will see if I can dig something up. Other than that, I'll likely need to start with a clean install.

notquitestr8t, May 4, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
  7. Yes, that would be excellent once I upgrade. However, that option is not available in my current WIN7 config. I have to move user files back to C: for the upgrade to be successful. I tried adding a new admin account just for the upgrade but it automatically when to the X drive so I likely need to try to find that old document and reverse the config so my profiles are on my SSD boot drive and not on the Data drive.

notquitestr8t, May 5, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 7, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    Make sure to disconnect all the other drives with installed OS when you are doing the upgrade. The upgrade process detects all the OS installed and gets confused which OS to work on.

badrobot, May 11, 2016
  10. There are no other OS's. Windows is the only OS, it just happens to be installed on the SSD with profiles on the data drives. That is why is it likely failing.

notquitestr8t, May 31, 2016
  11. Thanks very much. I moved all profiles but my own back to the system drive. I edited the registry so all new profiles would be generated there. In order to move my own profile back the the system drive I attempted to create a new admin user. This was successful in control panel but no profile was created and I got multiple "profile could not be loaded" errors. In checking the registry they did not appear. I found a "solution" and was advised to delete the three S-1-5-XX profiles from the registry. (Not the long profiles). I did this, rebooted and now my Windows is no longer "genuine".

notquitestr8t, Jun 2, 2016
  12. I had to call MS Support to get validated again. They managed to botch things up further by installing the 32 bit version of WIN7 (I had 64 bit so nothing worked) to make Windows Genuine again. They also wiped my MS Office installation which was a company benefit that is no longer available so I am back to OpenOffice. Had no choice but to wipe everything a start with a fresh install of WIN10. I am slowly rebuilding and it will take weeks to clean everything up. For that reason alone, I won't be messing with profiles any longer.

notquitestr8t, Jun 5, 2016
  13. badrobot Win User

I think LibreOffice is a better choice for your office applications.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives - Similar Threads - upgrade failure multiple

2. windows 10 upgrade failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 upgrade failure: I am running the 1909 version and the upgrade to 20H2 has been failing for about a year, one a month. Non-feature upgrades install just fine and a feature upgrade from 1904 to 1909 succeeded after the 20H2 failures. The error code is 0xC1900101 I've been ignoring this for a...
  3. Failure upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failure upgrading to windows 10: A few months ago i tried to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 twice My pc is not very good but its better specs than the minimum threshold to upgrade. I have a pentium j2900 2.41ghz with some intel hd graphics WDDM 1.3 4gb 1333mhz ram and directx 11, its a lenovo...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade failure

Windows 10 Upgrade failure: I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 since 2016 and get WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" every time. some one sugested to delete a file and replace it but that did not work.HELP!!!!!!!!!...
  5. Windows 10 upgrade failure

Windows 10 upgrade failure: I have tried three time without success to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Each time, the computer freezes at 90% in the second reboot stage. - completely frozen and unresponsive. When I reboot manually, I get the error message 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D The installation...
  6. Windows 10 Pro - Upgrade from 1803 to 1903 - Multiple Failures

Windows 10 Pro - Upgrade from 1803 to 1903 - Multiple Failures: Hi, I have been trying to upgrade from 1803 for 3 months but have had no success. The Software Loads OK Then at 70% crashes - proceeds OK to recover. I run the Trouble Shooter it reports Data Base Error - I run the Trouble Shooter and it reports FIX Repair FIX Check...
  7. Multiple Failures for Windows 10 Updates

Multiple Failures for Windows 10 Updates: I get multiple failure messages for different updates. Some are rated critical security updates/patches and others are cumulative. I have read this forum and followed troubleshooting steps both on here and on various websites. The results are the same: "some updates have...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade Failure

Windows 10 Upgrade Failure: Can someone please look at the upgrade log below to see if you can determine the cause of the upgrade (from 1803 to 1903) failure? I tried the following: net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net...
  9. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives: i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms so im looking to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 - instigated by experiencing an oculus VR headset and touch controllers over the weekend and reading...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade failure

Windows 10 upgrade failure: Hi - I had a working PC with Windows 8.1. I set it to download Windows 10 overnight, and the next morning the PC is unresponsive. It seems to have tried to install Windows 10, even though I said only download. Now I can't boot, and get "inaccessible boot device". What is...