Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded windows 7 ultimate retail version to Windows 10. Unfortunately I used a very old machine that I am not planning to use. I plan to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VijayVarma, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer

I upgraded windows 7 ultimate retail version to Windows 10. Unfortunately I used a very old machine that I am not planning to use. I plan to use the Windows 10 disk from a USB port on a Macbook Pro for some programs that I need once in a while. But this disk does not boot with an error "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

Is there a solution for this? I do not want reinstall the programs because I do not have access to original media. The best I can do is get a big internal disk for my MacBook Pro and create a Windows partition and image my current external drive to it. ONLY if I CAN OVERCOME THIS BOOT ERROR.

Vijay Varma

:)

VijayVarma, Apr 1, 2021
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 1, 2021
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer

1. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 retail disk does not boot on another computer - Similar Threads - upgrade retail disk

2. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC: I bought in past Windows 7 Professional retail box. And later did free upgrade to Windows 10. After upgrade it changed to retail version of Windows 10. How I can reinstall this Windows 10 to other PC with this license? In my accout I cant see the license, only my PC at...
  3. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC: I bought in past Windows 7 Professional retail box. And later did free upgrade to Windows 10. After upgrade it changed to retail version of Windows 10. How I can reinstall this Windows 10 to other PC with this license? In my accout I cant see the license, only my PC at...
  4. How to transfer upgraded Windows 10 from retail Windows 7 to other PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  6. upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 using a retail purchased hard disc

upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 using a retail purchased hard disc: I am planning to purchase a retail Windows 10 hard disc to replace my current Windows 7 Home OS. My current computer has a 686 GB hard disc. I am currently using only 162 GB of space. Is there anything special I need to know before installing the Windows 10 using a purchased...
  7. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.: I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same OS drive during the upgrade. I'd been running windows 7 until a few years ago until I accepted the free upgrade to windows 10,...
  8. Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC

Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC: Hi I currently have Win 10 from the free upgrade from a retail version of Win 7. I have a new (used) PC that already has Win 7 installed by the previous owner. I'd like to install Win 10 on this machine. Do I have to install my retail Win 7 as a clean install (as...
  9. Windows 10 Upgraded to Retail?

Windows 10 Upgraded to Retail?: I bought an 8.1 Home from WalMart so it's a retail package. Upgraded and loving it. However I am curious if I was to go back to Linux and virtualize windows 10 how would that work? I don't want to go through a whole reinstall process if it won't work and I'd have to go back...
  10. Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!

Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!: Hello, I current have Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installed from a Retail (not OEM) copy. If I read the tutorials correctly, I understand that if I install the free upgrade to Windows 10, there is no product key and it is tied to my hardware. Even if I create install media,...